Home | News    Tuesday 23 April 2013

Sudan says no link between the killers of Darfur peacekeeper and its army

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

April 22, 2013 (KHARTOUM) - The Sudanese Foreign Ministry expressed its regret for the killing of a Nigerian peacekeeper last week in Muhajiriya area in southern Darfur, saying that the perpetrator has nothing to do with the Sudan Armed Forces (SAF).

JPEG - 16.3 kb
Peacekeepers from the hybrid UN-AU Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) in the North Darfur capital, El-Fasher, on 5 July 2010 (Photo: Getty Images)

The soldier of the UN-African Union Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) was killed last Friday under unknown circumstances by an armed man who is suspected to be a member of a pro-government militia.

Both Muhajiriya and Labado have been the scene of fierce fighting between the Sudan Armed Forces (SAF) and rebels from a faction of the Sudan Liberation Movement led by Minni Minnawi (SLM-MM), who had seized control of the strategic towns on 6 April.

In statement issued on Monday, Sudan’s foreign ministry condemned the killing of the peacekeeper, saying that a joint investigation on the incident is now being conducted stressing that SAF and the government of the state of South Darfur are providing the necessary help for the investigation.

The ministry further said that investigations revealed that the perpetrator, who was killed during the assault, "Has nothing to do with SAF, and that the unfortunate incident occurred before SAF gained full control over the area".

Two other peacekeepers were wounded in the assault which took place two days after the Sudanese government announced it had regained control of the area from rebels on 17 April.

The US charge d’affaires to Sudan Joseph Stafford condemned the killing of the peacekeeper, saying that escalation in the acts of violence underscores the need for militia disarmament as well as other measures including a ceasefire between the government and rebels.

The Doha Document for Peace in Darfur (DDPD) was finalized at the All Darfur Stakeholders Conference in May 2011 in Doha. In mid-July of that year the Sudanese government and the Liberation and Justice Movement (LJM) led by Tijani Al-Sissi signed a protocol agreement committing them to the document.

Another faction of JEM led by Mohamed Bashar joined the DDPD in April 2013.

The Sudan Liberation Movement factions of Abdel-Wahid Nur (SLM-AW) and Minni Minnawi (SLM-MM) and Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) refused to sign the framework document and remain at war with Khartoum.

Stafford who spoke to reporters on Sunday, expressed grave concern about the reports of civilian casualties and deliberate targeting of civilians by militias in Muhajeria and Labado areas in southern Darfur state, adding that it was not yet clear who carried out the "deeply troubling" assault. stressing the "urgent" need for an investigation bringing those responsible to justice.

The foreign ministry further said that the government doesn’t impose restrictions on UNAMID, but it applies some measures and controls on the movement of its staff in areas of military operations aimed primarily at protecting their lives.

UNAMID had previously appealed to Khartoum to allow its staff as well as other aid groups to enter Muhajeria and Labado to provide humanitarian assistance for the 18 thousand people living in the two areas.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


The UNAMID internal report on mass rape in Tabit. 2014-11-21 06:09:21 What UNAMID really said about their investigation of mass sexual assaults on Tabit: The internal report on what investigators found By Eric Reeves November 20, 2014 - On November 12, 2014 (...)

Bullying Darfur 2014-11-13 18:13:39 By Namaa Al-Mahdi November 13, 2014 - “We broke their backs in Abu Karshola, I doubt they have recovered since,” said a prominent Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) member about their counter attack on (...)

Mass Sexual Violence: UNAMID declares it finds "no evidence" 2014-11-12 08:22:38 By Eric Reeves November 10, 2014 - For over a week reports from Darfuris in the Tabit area (45 kilometre southwest of El-Fashir, North Darfur) have provided detailed accounts of the mass rape of (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan Democracy First Group condemns wave of arbitrary arrests in Sudan 2014-09-25 05:17:35 Sudan Democracy First Group 25 September 2014 - In a desperate attempt to prevent a series of events commemorating the victims of the September 2013 protests, Sudan’s notorious National (...)

HRW calls on UN rights body to press Sudan to investigate murder of peaceful protesters 2014-09-24 21:24:09 Human Rights Watch One Year On, No Justice for Protester Deaths (Geneva, September 23, 2014) – The United Nations Human Rights Council should call on Sudan to account immediately for the death (...)

Hundreds walk for peace in South Sudan 2014-09-23 08:30:16 National Platform for Peace and Reconciliation (NPPR) PRESS RELEASE Juba, 21 September 2014 - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the South Sudan capital Jubato ‘Walk for Peace’and demand (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.