Home | News    Tuesday 9 April 2013

Westerners in Khartoum face kidnap threat: embassy

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

April 8, 2013 (KHARTOUM) - The British embassy in Khartoum updated its travel advisory on Monday after its Foreign Commonwealth Office (FCO) received reports that a terrorist group is planning to target westerners in Khartoum for kidnapping.

JPEG - 31.3 kb
British embassy in Khartoum (Ibtimes)

In a brief one-line email advisory to its nationals registered in the Sudanese capital, the embassy said its travel warning had been updated to include the new information.

“The FCO believes terrorists are planning to kidnap westerners in Sudan, probably in Khartoum”, it said.

At a briefing at the embassy on Monday, a security official said the terrorist group is targeting westerners for political reasons, rather than for economic gains.

The officer said this was a particularly significant development, in that anyone kidnapped will be at a greater risk of harm, as the group’s primary objective will be to leverage political concessions rather than obtaining a monetary payment.

The embassy did not divulge any further details about the group involved or the nature of the kidnapping threat.

While the embassy has updated its travel warning to reflect the new security developments, it has not upgraded its overall advice for Sudan.

The FCO says there remains a general threat of kidnapping throughout Sudan, with westerners, including NGO workers and peace keepers, previously the target of kidnaps in Darfur and the border areas of Chad and the Central African Republic.

In 2012, Sudanese security forces raided a training camp of extremists in the Dinder National Park in south-east Sudan, who authorities said had been planning to launch attacks on senior government officials, western diplomatic missions and international troops in Khartoum.

Last May, a British aid worker, who was employed by the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) in Khartoum, was freed after being held hostage for almost three months in South Darfur.

Patrick Noonan, from Northern Ireland, was kidnapped on 6 March by armed bandits operating around Nyala, where he had been working for two years.

South Darfur authorities alongside British hostage release experts drafted in by the British embassy in Khartoum, as well as a team of United Nations specialists negotiated his release. No ransom was paid.

Khartoum, which is home to an established expat community, is considered relatively safe in comparison to other African cities, with serious crimes against foreigners rare.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 9 April 2013 10:03, by steven

    The security of citizens and tourists has to be the most important

    repondre message

    • 9 April 2013 11:23, by tobias_simon

      I don’t believe that western citizen are much in danger.

      repondre message

  • 9 April 2013 13:06, by Oppressor

    I believe (FCO) is talking about another country or else person in charge is under alcoholic effect" Dark rums " Funny white rogue.

    repondre message

    • 9 April 2013 15:57, by julia

      no mrs lisbian/mr homo oppressor.
      They mean sudan! No any other country in Africa country is the signatory of terriotism and the supporter of nyigatism rather then fake Arab in sudan. Matip Nhail Deng kot is dead, Gatdet Yak is dead who will be the fake agenda runner in s.sudan?. Any food lover Nuer will die like matip, Gatdet and Gatluak Gai.

      repondre message

  • 9 April 2013 18:18, by Hamra

    There’s a hatred coming. Shut up your doors, shut up your minds.

    repondre message

  • 9 April 2013 19:34, by Mohammed Ali 2

    Certainly Khartoum is much safer than London, where nobody can go out on foot after 8 pm.That is the same in any town in UK!

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


World’s newest nation has unprecedented opportunity to end sexual violence in conflict 2014-10-17 21:34:44 By Zainab Hawa Bangura October 17, 2014 - As United Nations Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) on Sexual Violence in Conflict, I completed my first trip to South Sudan last (...)

Celebrate the golden jubilee of the October 1964 Sudanese revolution 2014-10-17 21:34:32 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman October 17, 2014 - Despite the dearth and lack of what needs celebration and rejoice in the reign of the National Congress Party (NCP) regime led by the tyrant genocidal (...)

Sudan, Iran, the Obama Administration, and Khartoum’s political vision" 2014-10-16 09:05:01 More about what we learn from the leaked minutes of the August 31 meeting bringing together Khartoum's most senior military and security officials By Eric Reeves October 15, 2014 - The document (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan Democracy First Group condemns wave of arbitrary arrests in Sudan 2014-09-25 05:17:35 Sudan Democracy First Group 25 September 2014 - In a desperate attempt to prevent a series of events commemorating the victims of the September 2013 protests, Sudan’s notorious National (...)

HRW calls on UN rights body to press Sudan to investigate murder of peaceful protesters 2014-09-24 21:24:09 Human Rights Watch One Year On, No Justice for Protester Deaths (Geneva, September 23, 2014) – The United Nations Human Rights Council should call on Sudan to account immediately for the death (...)

Hundreds walk for peace in South Sudan 2014-09-23 08:30:16 National Platform for Peace and Reconciliation (NPPR) PRESS RELEASE Juba, 21 September 2014 - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the South Sudan capital Jubato ‘Walk for Peace’and demand (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.