March 20, 2013 (BOR) - The United Nations says it is continuing to respond to the increasing number of newly displaced people in Jonglei state’s Akobo county, with aid agencies witnessing the arrival of 2,800 people over the past week.
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said the cause of the new displacement is yet to be established.
More household items such as mosquito nets, blankets and kitchen sets, including water and sanitation facilities, are urgently required. Aid agencies are now mobilising resources to address the needs of the new arrivals and ensure adequate water and sanitation facilities to avert disease outbreaks.
Prior to the new arrivals, aid organisations were responding to the needs of over 9,000 people affected by last month’s inter-communal violence in Akobo county.
In a heavy attack in February on Akobo’s remote Walgak village, 114 civilians and 14 SPLA soldiers were killed after they were set upon by armed men suspected to be loyal to rebel leader David Yau Yau, as well as some elements of the Murle ethnic group.
Over 17,000 people displaced from their villages in Pibor and Akobo counties are still in need of food assistance, according to the UN.
Ongoing humanitarian operations, including the delivery of food assistance, are currently being carried out in Boma, Gumuruk, Likuangule and Pibor.
One-month food rations have been distributed to about 5,300 displaced people in Likuangole and over 2,500 individuals from two villages in Gumuruk.