Home | News    Monday 25 February 2013

Sudan defense minister in Saudi Arabia despite ICC warrant

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

February 24, 2013 (KHARTOUM) – The Sudanese defense minister Abdel-Rahim Mohamed Hussein met today in Riyadh with Saudi Arabia’s crown prince Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, the state media reported.

Saudi official news agency (SPA) said the two officials reviewed the bilateral relations between the two countries, ways to enhance them and the latest developments at Arab and international arenas.

Sudan army spokesperson Colonel Al-Sawarmi Khalid Sa’ad was quoted by the country’s news agency (SUNA) as saying that the two sides discussed military cooperation following the conclusion of joint naval exercise this week.

The purpose of the drill was said to be enhancing abilities of naval forces in Saudi Arabia and Sudan to combat piracy and smuggling.

Relations between Khartoum and Riyadh have been strained lately over Sudan’s close ties with Iran.

Khartoum twice allowed Iranian warships last year to dock in Port Sudan drawing concern of the United States and Saudi Arabia.

Last November the Saudi pro-government Al-Riyadh newspaper in its editorial titled
"The fall of masks between Iran and Sudan" blasted Khartoum over the Iranian warships saying there is no "logical justification" for relationship between the two countries.

The previously unannounced visit by Hussein marks one of the few times he has travelled abroad since the International Criminal Court (ICC) issued an arrest warrant for him last year on 20 counts of crimes against humanity and 21 counts of war crimes allegedly committed during the years 2003-2004 in Sudan’s western region of Darfur.

Since the warrant Hussein has became more discreet in his foreign trips and his office has not been making his travel plans known in advance.

The defense minister has made trips to Libya, Ethiopia and South Sudan since the warrant, none of which are members of the court.

Saudi Arabia is also not a signatory to the ICC’s statute and therefore has no obligation to apprehend Hussein.

However in 2007 the ICC revealed that Saudi Arabia was aware of a plan aimed at nabbing then Sudan’s state minister for humanitarian affairs Ahmed Haroun on his way to Mecca for pilgrimage.

Haroun ended up cancelling his travel plans.

(ST)

info portfolio

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 25 February 2013 12:51, by Al-mezan

    Let him escape, he is a small fish, the big one is what is needed the most.

    repondre message

    • 25 February 2013 15:20, by Paul Ongee

      Something is really wrong in Khartoum these days that prompts these latest foreign visits. The Oil minister is in the Shiite Iran, trying to bring investors to Sudan while defense minister is ostensibly trying to discuss military cooperation with the Sunnis Saudi. Will these visits strike a chord? No. Never. Because Shiite and Sunnis never get mixed up ideologically. Shiites are more radical.

      repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Darfur, the most ‘successful’ genocide in a century 2017-04-21 23:16:47 By Eric Reeves The Darfur region of western Sudan has been recognized since 2004 as the site of genocide since 2004 by dozens of political officials and bodies (including the U.S. Congress and (...)

Open Letter to AU and IGAD: Festus Mogae be relieved and JMEC disbanded 2017-04-21 23:12:39 By Dak Buoth It is an opportune time for President Festus Mogae, the Chair of the Joint Monitoring and Evaluation commission (JMEC) to pack and go back where he came from. And if he so wishes to (...)

The Nile Basin In Transformation: research uptake and what’s at stake? 2017-04-20 14:55:55 Mohamed s. M. Yassin (Ph.D) The Nile basin territories have witnessed huge transformation since prehistoric era and continue to be subjected to enormous transformations. The transformations (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


HRW denounces "collective punishment" in South Sudan’s Wau 2017-04-15 07:06:48 Human Right Watch South Sudan: New Spate of Ethnic Killings Urgent Need for Justice; UN Should Increase Patrols in Wau (Nairobi, April 14, 2017) – Government soldiers and allied militias (...)

Statement by South Sudanese Communist Party on the National Dialoguel 2017-03-22 05:44:42 The Communist Party of South Sudan On the Initiative of the National Dialogue The initiative taken by the President of the Republic of South Sudan declaring a need for a national dialogue is an (...)

An Appeal to President of the Republic of South Sudan 2017-03-15 07:22:45 Dear. Mr. President, I write to appeal to you for the release of political detainees now in the custody of the National Security Service at Jebel and other detention facilities. In doing this, I (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2017 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.