Home | News    Friday 15 February 2013

Jonglei: MSF treats civilians wounded in Akobo county attack

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

February 14, 2013 (JUBA) - International medical charity, Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) says it has started providing medical services to people in the aftermath of last week’s attack in Akobo West county of South Sudan’s Jonglei state, in which more than 100 people died.

In a statement, MSF said at least 13 patients are receiving treatment in two health facilities in neighbouring Upper Nile state, except for one, who reportedly sustained gunshot wounds.

Most of the patients, it added, are women and children, including a 34-year-old pregnant woman and a three-year-old child, all with gunshot wounds.

MSF said a separate team is currently in Ulang county in neighbouring Upper Nile state - where a large number of people fled following the attack - identifying wounded people in the area, as well as stabilising patients at a healthcare facility there.

“Right now, it is not clear just how many more wounded people are hiding in the bush who have not yet been able to access medical care”, said Michiel van Tongeren, MSF project coordinator in Nasir, Upper Nile state.

“We are trying to find them and refer them to our hospital in Nasir for treatment,” he added.

Van Tongeren said efforts were underway to establish mobile clinics in order to identify more wounded people and provide medical care for the vulnerable population who survived last week’s violence.

A group of armed Murle youth and militias fighting in the region are believed to have carried out the gruesome attack, Jonglei state officials said.

A report released by MSF in November last year detailed the devastating impact of extreme violence on the lives and health of civilians in South Sudan’s most populous state.

“It is not only the direct consequences of violence, such as gunshot wounds, that we are concerned about”, Raphael Gorgeu, MSF’s head of mission in South Sudan said in reaction to last week’s incident.

“Our experience working in Jonglei shows that there are less visible, but equally serious, indirect consequences. Entire communities have to flee for their lives deep into the bush. Without shelter, food or safe drinking water, they are susceptible to malaria, pneumonia, malnutrition and diarrhoea”, he added.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 15 February 2013 06:44, by George Bol

    The problem of Militia in the South Sudan should not be taken lightly. We all understand now that militia with heavy weapons can not be compare with civilians that have no weapon.
    This is how SSIM murder Dinka civilians in 1991.

    repondre message

    • 15 February 2013 07:26, by wang

      There weren’t even that today so called disarmaments in 1991 in South. All SPLA hardware (guns) were in the Bor-Town but could not faces mighty Nuer Youth because they (Jaangs) cowards.

      repondre message

      • 15 February 2013 07:41, by George Bol

        Wang, You need not cry! you are the one who teach Murle how to attack innocent people.After learning food lovers uproot Dinka Civilian In Jonglei, Mighty SPLA withdraw around Juba and just within 4 weeks just food lovers to Upper Nile and Ethiopia. During that time, food lovers even eats their remains and children.

        repondre message

        • 15 February 2013 07:55, by wang

          Stop lying, if Nuer indeed left their lands to you coward then when did they claim it back? You were just fight with vultures that were feeding on dead Dinka and claiming you had fought Nuer. I think you are just joking Dude!

          repondre message

          • 15 February 2013 19:51, by julia

            wang where was Athor Deng Dut,didn,t he killed thousand of Nuer food lovers in pangak,where was mr.Chol Thon Balek,didn,t he killed tens thousand nyigateen in Baliet?where was John mayiik Jau didn,t he killed hunderd thousand Nuer food lovers in JamJang (panrieng)where was mr.miyar miyen didn,t he killed thousand of thousand Nuer food lovers in Atar.Nuer re only equal to food but not Jieng plse.

            repondre message

            • 15 February 2013 21:02, by Lotodo Awino Odug

              please don’t remind us of 1991,alot of people were innocently killed or maimed through confusion.such a human catastrophe should be avoid at all cost now in the south.their souls are the one killing and varnishing the ringleaders of those wars of egos.

              repondre message

    • 15 February 2013 08:08, by Simon Puok Nyang Tutjiek

      Lou Nuer were completely disarmed,18 Thousand guns collected by SPLA, they thought similar campaign took place in Neighboring Murle but unfortunately they become the most vulnerable youth, their children, women and elderly fathers and mothers silently murdered.
      Slava may you do something now? Take all the 15 Thousand soldiers make buffer zone so that Murle don’t commit atrocity on innocent civili

      repondre message

      • 15 February 2013 13:09, by Tutbol

        Bro. what our current govt is using; is the employ of the West, so that the grand mamas from the West come & to own our grand mamas’s lands; in the name of developments’ when infact; it is a grand scheme of loots! It will not happen! fulstop. The West is cowered by the people they can’t intrigue; they will often opt to bully Africans just because Africans leaders can be esaily mould.

        repondre message

        • 15 February 2013 14:01, by Nuer Empire

          Tutbol:You are an Arab Agent! We need them in Akobo,they haven’t taken any land. We accept every one in South Sudan except fake Arabs.
          The Nuer Empire

          repondre message

    • 15 February 2013 19:50, by padiit gaga

      George Bol
      Those who were killed in 1991 were not killed by SsIM but Lou Nuer which are not militia like them. That was what I heard but they have big power than Bor.

      repondre message

      • 15 February 2013 19:59, by julia

        padiit gagga,u mean they were a bunch of food fighters with no political aim or hatred link to SSIM of nyigateen of Nassir gangster.pathetic,u Nuer re gangs of food mongers.plse remove log of food particle in between ur teeth to claime for leadership in S.Sudan.

        repondre message

  • 15 February 2013 06:46, by master

    MSF
    you are the real gov in south sudan
    thanks

    repondre message

    • 15 February 2013 18:38, by Nuer Empire

      Our government is there fake Arab Retard

      repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Is the Sudanese regime laughing at the international community? 2014-10-31 18:49:22 By Salah Shuaib October 31, 2014 - The most recent news pointed out that a number of international and regional powers are trying so hard to convince all Sudanese rivals to find, through (...)

Why SPLM should not be a political party? 2014-10-27 08:00:25 By John Adoor Deng October 27, 2014 - Many people who have the focus in South Sudanese politics, these days have been bombarded with many coined Acronyms around SPLM. Truthfully, it has been a (...)

World’s newest nation has unprecedented opportunity to end sexual violence in conflict 2014-10-17 21:34:44 By Zainab Hawa Bangura October 17, 2014 - As United Nations Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) on Sexual Violence in Conflict, I completed my first trip to South Sudan last (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan Democracy First Group condemns wave of arbitrary arrests in Sudan 2014-09-25 05:17:35 Sudan Democracy First Group 25 September 2014 - In a desperate attempt to prevent a series of events commemorating the victims of the September 2013 protests, Sudan’s notorious National (...)

HRW calls on UN rights body to press Sudan to investigate murder of peaceful protesters 2014-09-24 21:24:09 Human Rights Watch One Year On, No Justice for Protester Deaths (Geneva, September 23, 2014) – The United Nations Human Rights Council should call on Sudan to account immediately for the death (...)

Hundreds walk for peace in South Sudan 2014-09-23 08:30:16 National Platform for Peace and Reconciliation (NPPR) PRESS RELEASE Juba, 21 September 2014 - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the South Sudan capital Jubato ‘Walk for Peace’and demand (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.