Home | News    Wednesday 13 February 2013

UPDATE - Jonglei government condemns violence in Akobo

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

* Adds details of document presented to Jonglei Governor and UNMISS

February 12, 2013 (BOR) - The deputy governor of Jonglei state, Hussein Maar Nyuot, has condemned a brutal attack in Akobo county which left 118 civilians and 14 South Sudanese army (SPLA) soldiers dead.

JPEG - 5 kb
Jonglei state deputy governor Hussein Mar Nyot (Source: http://jonglei-sd.org)

The incident, reportedly carried out by criminal elements within the Murle tribe believed to affiliated with David Yau Yau’s rebel group, occurred in the remote Walgak payam (district), during the community’s yearly migration to cattle camps at the Sobat River.

Maar, who has just returned from the area, said he went to pay his condolences to the families of the dead in Akobo and their relatives scattered in the area.

“It was the innocent killing, nobody in the state can tolerate that as all of us are working for peace and it is very unfortunate that there is a group that has not listen[ed] to [these] peace messages,” said Maar, who doubles as Jonglei’s minister of information.

He also praised the work of the SPLA forces in recovering cattle raided during the attack.

“I want to [take] this opportunity to congratulate our SPLA forces in Akobo for the good work that they have done, they pursued the criminal, they intercepted them and managed to recover the cattle but so far, children and women are not recovered,” said Maar.

He said the SPLA was tracking the assailants and was still hopeful of recovering some of the abducted women and children.

PNG - 26.3 kb
Map showing location of Jonglei state in South Sudan.

In a statement released by Akobo county commissioner Goi Jooyul after the attacks, he said “unarmed Akobo civilians escorting their cattle were murdered in cold blood” after being violently attacked by a heavily-armed group, some of whom were dressed in military attire.

The commissioner confirmed that an unspecified number of women and children had been abducted, while thousands of head of cattle were also seized in the surprise attack, which had overwhelmed an SPLA force accompanying the people.

Survivors have confirmed the use of heavy weaponry, including RPGs by the assailants, as well as the use of spears and machetes by some.

Addressing the media in his office, Maar described the attacks as “a very sad moment” for Jonglei state, which he said had been enjoying a relatively peaceful period for the past year.

Maar said that calm had been shattered after criminals affiliated with the David Yau Yau-led rebel group started raiding neighbouring counties.

He appealed to security forces in the region to pursue an urgent campaign of disarmament across the state over the next two months, warning if it “is not done now it will be too late and they [armed gangs] will cause a lot of insecurity, particularly during the rainy season”.

Hundreds of protesters took to the streets in Bor to condemn the recent attack in Akobo, calling on the government to implement a comprehensive and universal disarmament campaign in all Jonglei counties.

Demonstrators went to the governor’s office where they presented a document containing their grievances. A copy of the document obtained by Sudan Tribune said the conflict between the Luo Nuer and Murle communities had been ongoing since 2006 and has had “devastating consequences”.

PDF - 2.2 Mb
Petition from the Great Akobo Youth Association (GAYA) regarding the Murle attacks in Luo Nuer areas

The petition from the Great Akobo Youth Association (GAYA) accused the state and national governments of keeping silent on the issue.

The reason behind the continued raids is that the Murle were not properly disarmed in during the initial disarmament campaign that began in March last year following a spike in raids between the two groups at the end of 2011 and beginning of 2012.

GAYA claim that since 2006, the Luo Nuer in Jonglei have been disarmed four times but each time the Murle have avoided the process, describing the government’s actions as “unfair”.

The community accused the governor of deploying more troops and soldiers to protect his own Dinka Bor community rather than the Luo Nuer.

The youth association warned that if the government continued to fail in their constitutional duty to protect them, they would have to take the issue into their own hands.

They asked the government to:

  1. Rearm Luo Nuer youth who have been disarmed so they can protect themselves against threats and violence;
  2. Deploy more SPLA troops across all border and to surround cattle camps;
  3. Construct roads across the counties’ borders and also to the Akobo county headquarters;
  4. Provide the county with a telecommunications network
  5. Return abducted children and women;
  6. Return cattle which has been raided since the beginning of disarmament campaigns in Jonglei

The group also called on the United Nations and other humanitarian organisations to remain impartial, accusing the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) of providing protection to the Murle, while ignoring the Luo Nuer community. GAYA also asked for assistance to be provided to the survivors of the recent attack and the installation of a radio antenna in the area so they can receive broadcasts from the UN-sponsored Radio Miraya FM.

(ST)

PDF - 2.2 Mb
Petition from the Great Akobo Youth Association (GAYA) regarding the Murle attacks in Luo Nuer areas
Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 13 February 2013 22:04, by Pinyin Gatkuoth

    Mar nyuot please don’t lies Lou Nuer with nonsense wards Kuar, let kuol complating Nuer tentionally, Nuer will not be finish.

    repondre message

    • 14 February 2013 02:17, by Lotodo Awino Odug

      THIS 118 LIVES NEED REVENGE,PEACE WITH MURLE WILL COST US OUR ENTIRE POPULATIONS AND OUR LIVELIHOOD,IF YOU GO IN THIS TIME,BLAST EVERY LIVING BEINGS ON THE WAY TOWARD PIBOR.FORGIVENESS IS NOT IN JEBE DIALECT.JUST RESPONSE IN KIND AND ACT LIKE NOTHING BAD HAPPENED.IN THE END WE WILL SEE WHO WILL LAST AND WHO WILL EXTINCT.

      repondre message

      • 14 February 2013 22:36, by julia

        oh sorry,have u see s.sudanese how cheap is Nuer life.they can be trick simply with food.as John mayiik Jau&Benjiman Majak Dau did it in Jamjang in 1996,by ordering every women in panaruu to cook food and place them in the SPLA of their cammand garrison when they recieved a message from spies of the Nuer malitias presence in the area to attack them.they died like flies in being sprayed with fire.

        repondre message

  • 14 February 2013 06:10, by master

    cows more important than human life
    for what you congratulated your weak SPLA

    repondre message

  • 14 February 2013 06:31, by Odingo

    Thank you Mr. Deputy Governor for condemning the attack of Lou Nuer by Murles criminals youths.Folks, If it is not General Peter Gatdet Yaka was stationing in Lou Nuer area, those cattle would not have been recovered. Thank you General Peter Gatdet Yaka. It is clearly SPLA of Kiir and Riek who killed Lou Nuer period. Kiir and Riek Disarmed Lou Nuer and leave Murles with their gunsto kill Lou Nuer

    repondre message

  • 14 February 2013 06:43, by Odingo

    President Salva Kiir need to know that it is Lou Nuer who said that let there will be peace in Jonglei state. If Lou Nuer rearms again, there will be more bloodshed than 1991. you will believe it untill it happen. they will not only fight Murles, They will rid of whoever, stand on their way,like did in 1991 and and will change this Dinka Government, and you know that Murles join them and Equatoria

    repondre message

  • 14 February 2013 06:47, by Odingo

    and you that some Dina, Shuluk will join them for change, and you are not gonna like it more troops will join them change unless you disarm Murles now before itis too late.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


2015 elections are not a priority for Sudanese 2014-07-23 04:35:55 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman July 22, 2014 - This article comes against the backdrop of the news that reported the announcement of the National Elections Commission (NEC) that it had prepared the (...)

Bashir rests assured laden-burden on the Sudanese people’s shoulders 2014-07-14 06:09:16 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman July 13, 2014 - Omer al-Bashir believes that his continuing in power better protects him from tracking and prosecution by the International Criminal Court (ICC). He clings (...)

Lack of equity: A cause of many conflicts in Africa 2014-07-14 06:05:33 By Francis Ayul Yuar Nyok July 13, 2014 - It should be kept in mind that Africa crisis is not unique, more or less all the countries of the Sub-Sarah Africa are plague with acute poverty and in (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Memory, healing and transformation in South Sudan 2014-07-23 05:55:08 Memory, Healing and Transformation in South Sudan A Working Paper by David K. Deng July 2014 Contents Introduction 1 What is memorialization? 2 Timing 2 Risks 3 Principles 3 Integrity 3 (...)

South Sudan: Independence Day marred by ongoing war crimes and looming famine 2014-07-09 01:39:56 AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL PRESS RELEASE 8 July 2014 South Sudan: Independence Day marred by ongoing war crimes and looming famine · Both sides to the conflict committing war crimes and crimes (...)

UN urged to probe alleged cover-ups and manipulations by its mission in Darfur 2014-06-26 05:40:52 Strengthen Peacekeeping Mission’s Rights Reporting, Civilian Protection (New York, June 25, 2014) – The United Nations secretary-general should investigate alleged cover-ups and manipulation of (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.