Home | News    Wednesday 13 February 2013

Jonglei government condemns violence in Akobo

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

February 12, 2013 (BOR) - The deputy governor of Jonglei state, Hussein Maar Nyuot, has condemned a brutal attack in Akobo county which left 118 civilians and 14 South Sudanese army (SPLA) soldiers dead.

JPEG - 5 kb
Jonglei state deputy governor Hussein Mar Nyot (Source: http://jonglei-sd.org)

The incident, reportedly carried out by criminal elements within the Murle tribe believed to affiliated with David Yau Yau’s rebel group, occurred in the remote Walgak payam (district), during the community’s yearly migration to cattle camps at the Sobat River.

Maar, who has just returned from the area, said he went to pay his condolences to the families of the dead in Akobo and their relatives scattered in the area.

“It was the innocent killing, nobody in the state can tolerate that as all of us are working for peace and it is very unfortunate that there is a group that has not listen[ed] to [these] peace messages,” said Maar, who is also Jonglei’s minister of information.

He also congratulated the work of the SPLA forces in recovering cattle raided during the attack.

“I want to [take] this opportunity to congratulate our SPLA forces in Akobo for the good work that they have done, they pursued the criminal, they intercepted them and managed to recover the cattle but so far, children and women are not recovered,” said Maar.

He said the SPLA was tracking the assailants and was still hopeful of recovering some of the abducted women and children.

PNG - 26.3 kb
Map showing location of Jonglei state in South Sudan.

In a statement released by Akobo county commissioner Goi Jooyul after the attacks, he said “unarmed Akobo civilians escorting their cattle were murdered in cold blood” after being violently attacked by a heavily-armed group, some of whom were dressed in military attire.

The commissioner confirmed that an unspecified number of women and children had been abducted, while thousands of head of cattle were also seized in the surprise attack, which had overwhelmed an SPLA force accompanying the people.

Survivors have confirmed the use of heavy weaponry including RPGs by the assailants, as well as the use of spears and machetes by some.

Addressing the media in his office, Maar described the attacks as “a very sad moment” for Jonglei state, which he said had been enjoying a relatively peaceful period for the past year.

Maar said that calm had been shattered after criminals affiliated with the David Yau Yau-led rebel group started raiding neighbouring counties.

He appealed to security forces in the region to pursue an urgent campaign of disarmament across the state over the next two months, warning if it “is not done now it will be too late and they [armed gangs] will cause a lot of insecurity, particularly during the rainy season”.

Hundreds of protesters took to the streets in Bor to condemn the recent attack in Akobo, calling on the government to implement a comprehensive and universal disarmament campaign in all Jonglei counties.

Demonstrators went to the governor’s office where they presented a document containing their grievances. Sudan Tribune has been unable to obtain a copy.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 13 February 2013 05:35, by panda

    I think Murle people will not listen or understand what many people went through during war time,because they were not there or did not participant.How many time government been talking of peace and reconciliation,but murle with their idiot son Yau did not want to co-operate with the communities he attacked every day killing women and children.I think what should done kill their women and children

    repondre message

    • 13 February 2013 06:53, by Nuer Empire

      Jebe: It is just a matter of times,you will face your dirty action you did to mighty Lou-Nuer sooner than later.
      The Nuer Empire

      repondre message

  • 13 February 2013 07:03, by goodman

    Kiir(Holocuse of S.Sudan) must step down now bcz he failed to protect the people & bcz he is coward as well as stupid -coward Kuol Mangooth,kiir is stupid ugly insect that shuold never rule forever.my condolence to the families of akobo people who lose thier fellow sons and daghters let God rest their soul in peace & I strongly urge their youth to form the white army again to protect their people.

    repondre message

    • 13 February 2013 07:21, by dad1

      Good Man,
      you have good point by saying "people of Akobo should form white army" which is correct, they government failed to protect civilians from murle, it is now dry season and no activities taking place in murle land. let the two communities of Nuer and Dinka form white army to protect themselves otherwise the death will never end in Jonglei.

      repondre message

  • 13 February 2013 07:34, by master

    118 plus 14 = 132
    118 unacceptible becasue they are unarmed civilian
    14 very good to kill these insects . they can just fight in the media

    repondre message

  • 13 February 2013 07:56, by Nguetbuny de Luelpiny

    what a murders this is genocide! alway hundredth every a months or years dead. Yau Yau should be hunt down with combine force of Armies. should be put to the list of terrorist in sudan.

    repondre message

  • 13 February 2013 08:03, by Mapuor

    Lou Nuer people must be crazy,why sleep when they know Murle youth are armed to the teeth.SPLA can not control that vast area,local Lou youth should keep alert and inform their people early in case of Murle advances towards them.Drinking local beer and lying dear Nuer Lou will finish you.Move in the forest,take ngaam with you and stay in the forest to protect your people.

    repondre message

    • 13 February 2013 15:34, by Nuer Empire

      Lou Nuer White army isn’t dead,but have no arms since they are civilians protecting themselves from any external agressions like Murle and other notorious tribes against Lou Nuer in particular and Nuer in general.Our term of relationship is not good with non productive Murele whose hearts are onto take away our lives!Yes they did,but Ngundeng said,Jebe and Bor Goak liebe loc kon a lat ti ngot & Ma

      repondre message

  • 13 February 2013 08:30, by James Ruai Gatkouth

    Mapuor, Please note that Lou nuer are brave more then any tribe in South Sudan, do you meant that lou nuer youth can fought Murle with out any gun from thiers hand.
    Sory for you.

    repondre message

  • 13 February 2013 15:35, by E. Defense Forces

    Gov. Kuol Manyang full interview in SSTV regarding the recent violence in Akobo.
    http://www.southsudanhub.com/media/2348/Gov._Kuol_Manyang_interview/
    Also...
    Pres.Salva Kiir plans leaner cabinet
    http://www.southsudanhub.com/media/2346/Pres.Salva_Kiir_plans_leaner_cabinet/

    repondre message

  • 13 February 2013 16:26, by Kim Deng

    Kuol Manyany is the beneficiary of these killings in Lou Nuer areas for reasonable known to him. The very tiny Murle and likes know very well that, they can not face the Mighty Nuer Warriors of Lou Nuer in warfields. But come at night and slaughter innocents people without discriminatory.

    repondre message

    • 13 February 2013 22:12, by Pinyin Gatkuoth

      Kim Deng it’s true Kuol Manyang is the beneficiary for Nuer killing.

      repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


2015 elections are not a priority for Sudanese 2014-07-23 04:35:55 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman July 22, 2014 - This article comes against the backdrop of the news that reported the announcement of the National Elections Commission (NEC) that it had prepared the (...)

Bashir rests assured laden-burden on the Sudanese people’s shoulders 2014-07-14 06:09:16 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman July 13, 2014 - Omer al-Bashir believes that his continuing in power better protects him from tracking and prosecution by the International Criminal Court (ICC). He clings (...)

Lack of equity: A cause of many conflicts in Africa 2014-07-14 06:05:33 By Francis Ayul Yuar Nyok July 13, 2014 - It should be kept in mind that Africa crisis is not unique, more or less all the countries of the Sub-Sarah Africa are plague with acute poverty and in (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Memory, healing and transformation in South Sudan 2014-07-23 05:55:08 Memory, Healing and Transformation in South Sudan A Working Paper by David K. Deng July 2014 Contents Introduction 1 What is memorialization? 2 Timing 2 Risks 3 Principles 3 Integrity 3 (...)

South Sudan: Independence Day marred by ongoing war crimes and looming famine 2014-07-09 01:39:56 AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL PRESS RELEASE 8 July 2014 South Sudan: Independence Day marred by ongoing war crimes and looming famine · Both sides to the conflict committing war crimes and crimes (...)

UN urged to probe alleged cover-ups and manipulations by its mission in Darfur 2014-06-26 05:40:52 Strengthen Peacekeeping Mission’s Rights Reporting, Civilian Protection (New York, June 25, 2014) – The United Nations secretary-general should investigate alleged cover-ups and manipulation of (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.