Home | News    Saturday 9 February 2013

US urges Sudan to allow humanitarian access in Darfur

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

February 8, 2013 (KHARTOUM) - The US administration said it was deeply alarmed by the recent surge of violence in Darfur and called on the Sudanese government to grant unfettered humanitarian access to all the region to deliver aid to needy civilians.

JPEG - 20.3 kb
US State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland (photo State Dept)

US State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said in a statement released on Friday that recent tribal fighting in North Darfur and clashes between the Sudanese army (SAF) and rebels in Jebel Marra displaced over 100,000 people who are in need of humanitarian assistance.

The US diplomat pointed out that the number of civilians displaced in Darfur by the increase of violence in January 2013 is more than the total figures for 2012.

“To meet the humanitarian needs of those affected by these clashes, we call on the Sudanese government to grant UN agencies unrestricted access to all areas of Darfur”, Nuland said. She further appealed to Khartoum to work closely with the UN agencies and UNAMID in order to deliver humanitarian aid.

Clashes erupted in two areas in Jebel Marra in the last week of December 2012 when fighters from the Sudan Liberation Movement – Abdel Wahid (SLM-AW) took control of Jaldo and Golo in Central Darfur state.

UNAMID said both the Sudanese army and the SLM-AW have blocked humanitarian teams from reaching displaced civilians. However, the rebel group denied such restrictions and expressed a willingness to cooperate with UN agencies to deliver food to the needy.

In separate clashes on 5 January this year, fighting erupted in the Jebel Amir area, North Darfur state, between the Abbala and Beni Hussein tribes over control of the region’s lucrative gold mines.

The tribal clashes resulted in the mass displacement of some 70,000 people according to government figures. However, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) reported that at least 100,000 people have been displaced or affected by the fighting.

UNAMID reacted promptly to the humanitarian situation and sought to reach civilians who had fled en masse to Kabkabiya, Saraf Omra and Al Sereif towns.

However, in a report released on 11 January, the joint mission said Beni Hussein tribesman had prevented a verification patrol from reaching Jebel Amer on 7 January.

Nuland has further urged the Sudanese government to disarm militias in Darfur, to end air attacks and to implement the Doha Document for Peace in Darfur “as the basis for a more inclusive and effective peace process”.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Unity of Bentiu communities 2016-06-26 22:54:17 By Hon Lam Tungwar Kueigwong The Northern Liech State Government, under the Leader of Gen. Salva Kiir Mayardit President of Republic of South Sudan and the State Governor Dr Joseph Nguen (...)

JMEC’s statement on the despairing situation of South Sudan 2016-06-26 18:37:50 By James Okuk, PhD In the Opening statement delivered to the members during the plenary meeting in Juba on 23rd June 2016 by H.E. Festus G. Mogae, the Chairperson of the Joint Monitoring and (...)

Are we having only sixteen corrupt officials in South Sudan? 2016-06-26 04:36:33 By Peter Gai Manyuon The major corruption scandals since the beginning of the self-rule has been the so-called “Dura Saga” although there have been dozens of other significant instances of a (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudanese students, activists are at risk of torture: HRW 2016-05-25 14:40:51 Human Rights Watch Sudan: Students, Activists at Risk of Torture Free Detainees; Investigate Abuses (Nairobi, May 25, 2016) – Sudanese national security officials have detained dozens of (...)

South Sudan: Civilians Killed, Tortured in Western Region 2016-05-24 22:01:01 Human Rights Watch For Immediate Release South Sudan: Civilians Killed, Tortured in Western Region Provide Justice for Army Abuses in Western Regions (Nairobi, May 24, 2016) – South Sudanese (...)

Open Letter to President Salva Kiir and 1st Vice President Dr. Riek Machar 2016-04-18 12:36:12 South Sudan Women United April 15, 2016 Your Excellencies: South Sudan Women United writes to congratulate you both on the steps you are taking towards ending violence in South Sudan and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2016 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.