Home | News    Wednesday 30 January 2013

Eritreans in UK rally in support of army mutiny

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

January 29, 2013 (LONDON) - Activists say that over 2,000 Eritreans including opposition politicians’ held a demonstration in London on Tuesday seeking democratic change in one of the world’s most politically repressive nations.

JPEG - 14.5 kb
Eritrean president Isaias Afewerki, who was been in office since independence in 1993, at press briefing in Asmara, December, 10, 2002. (Source: http://www.defense.gov/photos/newsphoto.aspx?newsphotoid=4235)

In an email sent to Sudan Tribune, organisers said the rallies were in support of last week’s siege at the ministry of information in Asmara by dissident soldiers.

On Monday 21 January, some 200 Eritrean soldiers with two tanks occupied Eritrea’s ministry of information and took over the state-owned Eritrean Radio and Television Agency and aired a statement demanding for the release of all political prisoners and the implementation of the 1997 constitution.

Tuesday’s demonstration in London aimed to send a clear message to the dissident army that the Eritrean diaspora is on their side.

Demonstrators chanted for president Isaias Afewerki, who has held office since 1993 following Eritrea’s independence from Ethiopia, to step down.

Organisers also called on all Eritreans across the world to hold similar protests and extend the necessary support to the exiled opposition to bring change in Eritrea.

This is a second demonstration to be held in London in less than a week. On Thursday protesters stormed the Eritrean embassy in London and briefly occupied it after staging demonstrations outside the building.

Once inside, protesters pulled down and tore-up photos of president Afewerki.

The dissident soldiers, who are reportedly led by General Saleh Osman, ended their siege at the media agency after they were surrounded by troops loyal to the president.

They were asked to peacefully return to their bases first and told their demands would be negotiated later.

Various media networks have reported that the mutiny was over and calm has been restored. However, unconfirmed sources coming out of Eritrea say the mutineers left the ministry of information only after the regime in Asmara promised to meet their demands and that the two sides are currently in negotiations.

Hailay Nuguss, who is a journalist and politician, told Sudan Tribune that the incident in Asmara last Monday cannot be called a coup plot.

“The staged siege had no violence and no single shot was fired. It was a brief take-over of the state media," he said, adding “we can’t consider that [the siege] as a coup plot but it was a demand for political reforms".

It is very difficult to get information about the secretive Eritrean nation - also referred as Africa’s North Korea by some press freedom groups - as the East African country does not allow any independent news sources to operate.

However, opposition websites are reporting that the Eritrean government has detained dozens of people, including regional governors and senior military officials following the mutiny.

The opposition websites alleged that Mustafa Nurhussein, governor of the Southern region, and Abdella Jaber, director of organisational affairs for the ruling People’s Front for Democracy and Justice (PFDJ), were among those detained following the mutiny.

According to Human Rights Watch, the Red Sea nation, referred to by right groups as a “giant prison”, has an estimated 5,000 to 10,000 political prisoners.

The mutiny, the country’s first since it gained independence from Ethiopia in 1993, came just a few weeks after Eritrea’s information minister, Ali Abdu, fled the country and sought asylum in Canada.

There has been no an official comment from government over the incident so far.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 31 January 2013 17:35, by Wolleyewu

    Issayas is a life time hero for his country men/women Eriterians unlike the rotten deceased cancer victim Zenawi. He stood firm against Westerns to protect his people and has secured refugee status wherever they go(for those who are interested to live and work in abroad). He is not corrupted, never committed treason against own nation so how could he be charged with fabrication unlike Zenawi

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Uganda’s military intervention in South Sudan under international law 2014-04-19 09:37:28 Is there foreign policy principle justifying Uganda’s military intervention in South Sudan civil war and under whose authority could the exercise be carried out? By Kuajien Lual Wechtuor April (...)

Al-Bashir’s decree fell short of Sudan’s demands 2014-04-17 09:57:38 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman Ampril 16, 2014 - This article comes against the backdrop of the Decree number 158 of 2014 passed by the National Congress Party (NCP) president Marshal Omer Hassan Ahmed (...)

Why hiring a lawyer if you can buy a judge 2014-04-17 09:11:43 By Dong Samuel Luak April 16, 2014 - Many people in South Sudan are asking, how long did it take President Salva Kiir to plan all this tragedy befalling our young country now? Recruitment, (...)


MORE




VIDEOS



Latest Press Releases


UNICEF supports emergency response for children in Sudan with 89 tons of life-saving supplies 2014-04-19 09:47:06 Khartoum, 18 April 2014 --- Today in Khartoum airport, UNICEF received 89 tons of life-saving supplies to support the humanitarian response to children affected by emergencies in various hot (...)

Letter to the South Sudanese government on the ratification of the African Charter 2014-04-16 06:24:18 Letter to the Government of South Sudan on the ratification of the African Charter H.E. Salva Kiir Mayardit President of the Republic of South Sudan Juba, South Sudan CC: Dr. Barnaba Benjamin (...)

In Sudan, at least 26,000 primary school children risk repeating an entire school year 2014-03-21 08:42:00 UNICEF SUDAN PRESS RELEASE In Sudan, at least 26,000 primary school children risk repeating an entire school year Khartoum, 20 March 2014 --- Primary school-aged children in Sudan are in (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.