Home | News    Sunday 13 January 2013

South Sudan will pay for all loses from Wau transfer conflict - draft report

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

January 9, 2013 (WAU) - Western Bahr el Ghazal is to ask South Sudan’s central government to financially compensate businesses whose properties were damaged by protests in December over administrative changes that were rejected by many ethnic groups, according to a draft report seen by Sudan Tribune.

JPEG - 47.6 kb
Western Bahr el Ghazal Governor, Rizik Zakariah Hassan (UN photo)

Following protests that led to the deaths of an estimated 20 people last month the state government set up three committees to investigate various aspects of the incidents on 8, 9 and 18 December.

A draft of the report, by assessment and compensatory committee appointed by Governor Rizik Zachariah Hassan, seen by Sudan Tribune, recommends South Sudan’s central government take "full responsibility" for compensating all losses incurred by national and foreign businesses.

The Mayor of Wau town Michael Ukel and his deputy have been to assess severity of the losses incurred by business groups and damages caused to government and individual properties as a result of protest and to present estimated cost of compensation.

The position of Wau town Mayor was established in October as part of the move to transfer the headquarters of Wau and Jur River counties out of the state capital. The government argues that the move is necessary to provide better services to people in rural areas but some ethnic groups have seen the proposal as an attempt to marginalise their communities.

In Bagari district, the area which is due to host the new administrative centre of Wau County, 26 civilians were killed in December. The apparent ethnic dimension to the protests and killings in Bagari has shocked South Sudanese politicians including the President Salva Kiir, who visited Wau on 24 December to appeal for calm and to support the Governor’s decision.

Some community leaders and politicians have been questioned over the incidents. The communities affected have now backed the proposal Governor Hassan said earlier this week.

In his draft recommendations Michael Ukel suggests: “Given the nature and complexity of the incident and capacity of the state government to handle this situation, the committee recommends that the central government takes full responsibility for all damages and losses incurred by both national and foreign businesses as a result of protest.

The report which carries Ukel’s signature estimates that the protests have caused four billion South Sudan pounds (SSP) worth of damage - around one million US dollars.

Ukel describes the damage as “a great lose” to the nation, which is already battling with the austerity measures as a result of a budget deficit brought about by the closure of oil production a year ago.

South Sudan stopped pumping its oil through neighbouring Sudan, accusing the Khartoum government of stealing oil worth 815 million dollars. Sudan claimed that it was taking southern crude as it passed through its territory in lieu of unpaid fees - an allegation Juba denies.

In September the two sides signed a deal agreeing a new transit fees but the failure to implement border security arrangements has meant that production has still not resumed much the detriment of both economies.

The state government had previously said that 53 commercial trucks were set on fire by the protesters but Ukel’s report seems to put the number at just nine. “The compensation should cover only nine trucks burned during the violence”, the report reads in part.

The report seems to confirm the commitment Governor Hassan gave at news conference held in Juba on 7 January, during which he announced compensation for all damages and losses as a result of protest.

“There will be compensation for the nine trucks which were burnt and the four that were looted. This is a crime which will not be accounted for by the state but by the Republic of South Sudan because a foreigner does not know that there is a political problem of relocating to Bagari but knows that his goods were looted by South Sudanese”, Hassan told journalists.

Special attention appears to have been given to foreign businesses because of the pressure they have exerted on the government through their governments.

There has been no indication yet that the families of those killed in the protests will be compensated by the government. The government has denied that the police or army were responsible for the deaths of the protestors in Wau despite a video emerging showing armed man in Wau town shooting a apparently unarmed protestors on 9 December.

Western Bahr el Ghazal’s Minister of Information says that the security investigation committee has not yet completed their findings into the exact number of people killed and wounded.

Compiling reports from government and medical sources it appears that around 20 protestors died in December, although the former Commissioner of Wau County, John Peter Miskin, who resigned over the proposed transfer claims the real death toll is higher.

A full announcement is expected to be made by the end of the month.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 13 January 2013 07:08, by Dinkawarrior

    I hope not! If so then it will be stupid idea for whoever take responsibility. Whether the State Authority or the Federal Goverment to encourage those kind of activities. So many damages have been done since the beginnig and if anybody want to be responsible for those, he or she have to financially compensate all to who is complain about any damage.

    repondre message

    • 13 January 2013 13:52, by Nuer Dominated Liberation of South Sudan

      Don’t cry it’s the work of your dumb President silva kiir...who suffered from reading some one else is ideas,and writting for sake of being adviselly good leader. why killing our innocience god creature if you really have the Self-determination Values ,and visons?? Shame on your dumb President with his fake Arab friends.

      repondre message

  • 13 January 2013 11:19, by william

    First and formost, we need to hear the result of an investigation which had been going on about the cause before calling for national government to compensates. The resigned commissioner should be thoroughly investigated.

    repondre message

  • 14 January 2013 08:55, by Man without fear

    To W.B.G gov,t re u people blind who do u think is responsible for loses , u left the one who should be investigate and ask to compensates all the loses this dog call peter john misikin he is the cause of this problem why not for him to take all responsibility with his damn supporters who protest bicos of development in their area. I am not happy to hear that the GOSS is requesting to take repons

    repondre message

  • 14 January 2013 09:05, by Man without fear

    ...GoSS cannot take responsibility for what? look u want to invited another problem ur decision is totally wrong . Who ill accept it? Use your CDF funds for Bagari county to compensate all the loses . Do not calm , The GoSS have the funds for development not for any dogs who stand against development .Shame on those stand against development in their area.death to u all,u re the problem of RSS

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


The theory of African president and prime minister, working together 2014-11-22 05:32:12 By Steve Paterno November 21, 2014 - Africa is notoriously known for political instability, stemming in most cases, over power struggle among the ruling elites. Often times, the best and quick (...)

The UNAMID internal report on mass rape in Tabit. 2014-11-21 06:09:21 What UNAMID really said about their investigation of mass sexual assaults on Tabit: The internal report on what investigators found By Eric Reeves November 20, 2014 - On November 12, 2014 (...)

Bullying Darfur 2014-11-13 18:13:39 By Namaa Al-Mahdi November 13, 2014 - “We broke their backs in Abu Karshola, I doubt they have recovered since,” said a prominent Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) member about their counter attack on (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan Democracy First Group condemns wave of arbitrary arrests in Sudan 2014-09-25 05:17:35 Sudan Democracy First Group 25 September 2014 - In a desperate attempt to prevent a series of events commemorating the victims of the September 2013 protests, Sudan’s notorious National (...)

HRW calls on UN rights body to press Sudan to investigate murder of peaceful protesters 2014-09-24 21:24:09 Human Rights Watch One Year On, No Justice for Protester Deaths (Geneva, September 23, 2014) – The United Nations Human Rights Council should call on Sudan to account immediately for the death (...)

Hundreds walk for peace in South Sudan 2014-09-23 08:30:16 National Platform for Peace and Reconciliation (NPPR) PRESS RELEASE Juba, 21 September 2014 - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the South Sudan capital Jubato ‘Walk for Peace’and demand (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.