January 7, 2013 (KHARTOUM) - The fighters of Sudan Liberation Movement led by Abdel Wahid Al-Nur (SLM-AW) repulsed an attempt by the Sudan Armed Forces (SAF) to retake a position they control in the mountainous area of Jebel Mara since last December.
Nimir Abdel Rahman told Sudan Tribune on Monday that they repelled an attack that SAF had launched on their positions in Jaldo which they control since Friday 28 December.
He claimed they killed 75 soldiers and captured 11 vehicles and significant amount of arms and ammunition, adding they destroyed 25 vehicles.
The remaining SAF troops fled in direction of Zalingei, the capital of the newly established Central Darfur state, he further said.
Sudanese army did not react to the rebel statements.
Last week the Sudanese defence minister, Abdel-Rahim Hussein told the parliament that SAF had re-seized the area from the rebels.
But Nimir stressed in his statements to Sudan Tribune that Monday’s attack was the first attempt from the government army to retake Jaldo.
"Actually the army want to retake Golo," Nimir said.
Golo, which is located Central Darfur state near Nirtiti town, is under the control of the SLM-AW rebels since the 24 December.
The rebel spokesperson also said the Sudanese military planes carried out different air raids in the area and villagers were forced to flee their homes hide in the mountains.
"Also many civilians were killed and now we do not have the exact number of those killed following the aerial bombing", he added.