Home | News    Thursday 3 January 2013

Two abducted UN peacekeepers freed in Darfur


(KHARTOUM) - Two Jordanian peacekeepers working for the United Nations-African Union Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) have been freed, after nearly four and half months in captivity, the mission’s spokesperson said Wednesday.

JPEG - 41.7 kb
A picture released by the UNAMID shows the two Jordanian peacekeepers after their arrival to Al-Fasher on 2 January 2013

Hasan Al-Mazawdeh and Qasim Al-Sarhan, the mission said, were abducted in August last year by an armed group while on patrol in Kebkabiya town, about 140 kilometres west of El Fasher, the capital of North Darfur state.

The UN had prior to the incident, reportedly warned of rising insecurity in the troubled region.

“The two Jordanian officers working for UNAMID in North Darfur State have been released after being kidnapped by an armed group in the region, since August last year,” Aicha Elbasri, the UNAMID spokesperson said in a statement.

“They were medically checked and they appear to be unharmed and in good health,” she added.

They two officers will be flown to Khartoum and back to their home country as soon as possible, the mission said in a statement.

Their release, sources say, followed sustained efforts by the mission, the Sudanese authorities and the Jordanian government.

Ban Ki-moon, the UN Secretary-General has commended the efforts of UNAMID, the Government of Sudan and the Government of Jordan in securing the release of the abductees.

The UN chief, in a statement extended to Sudan Tribune, underscored the importance of the peacekeeping and humanitarian work in Darfur, calling on the Sudanese government to fully investigate the incident and bring the perpetrators to justice as soon as possible.

He however emphasized that the primary responsibility for the safety and security of all peacekeeping personnel in UNAMID and the humanitarian community lies with the host government.

Aichatou Mindaoudou, the UNAMID Acting Joint Special Representative on Wednesday expressed the mission’s thanks to the Government of Sudan, the Governor of North Darfur, and the Government of Jordan for their valuable assistance in the safe release of the peacekeepers.

Jordan’s police directorate on Wednesday also welcomed the release the two peacekeepers.

“Police corporals Hassan Mazawdeh and Qasem Sarhan are now at the Jordanian mission, enjoying good health,” a statement from the Jordanian Kingdom’s Public Security Directorate partly reads.

"We thank the Sudanese government and the United Nations for their help, support and coordination," it adds.

Jordanian authorities, according to the statement, are in contact with the Sudanese government as well as the UN to ensure the immediate and safe return of the two officers.


In May last year, unknown people freed a Briton working for the UN World Food Program (WFP) in Darfur, after nearly three months in captivity.

Earlier on in February, rebels of the Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) reportedly freed five Turks they had held captive for several months.


Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article


The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.

Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis

SOUTH SUDAN: peace or genocide? 2015-10-07 12:59:30 By Richard Moula President Salva Kiir of South Sudan has once again declared a war of genocide and ethnic cleansing on the small ethnic tribe of Moru in Western Equatoria. As from 16th (...)

G-10 critique of establishment order is a complete baloney 2015-10-07 12:59:22 By Gordon Buay Muolana John Luk must be joking to argue that the Establishment Order that created the 28 states violated South Sudan Transitional Constitution without admitting that the (...)

Why rejecting creation of more states in South Sudan? 2015-10-05 16:31:37 By Peter Gai Manyuon South Sudanese president Salva Kiir has unilaterally decreed expansion of the current Ten (10) states to 28 federal states in the country in an unexpected move announced on (...)


Latest Press Releases

S. Sudan civil society groups to the 28 states issue to constitutional body 2015-10-08 17:26:10 South Sudan Civil Society Organizations Submission on the Creation of 28 States in the Republic of South Sudan Press Statement For immediate Release 8th October 2015 Following the announcement (...)

Sudan Democracy First Group Statement on The International Day for Democracy 2015-10-01 22:18:58 22 September 2015 Sudan Democracy First Group (SDFG) commemorated on 15 September 2015 the International Day for Democracy, which the United Nations (UN) marks as a day to encourage governments (...)

Ambassador Buay congratulates South Sudanese diplomats for blocking sanctions 2015-09-19 00:20:30 SOUTH SUDAN DIPLOMATS IN MOSCOW SHOULD BE CONGRATULATED FOR PERSUADING THE FEDERATION OF RUSSIA TO BLOCK SANCTIONS For Immediate Release 9/18/2015 The people of South Sudan are extremely (...)


Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.