Home | News    Tuesday 25 December 2012

Ex-Western Bahr el Ghazal police chief denies failure to contain protests

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

December 24, 2012 (WAU) - Former Western Bahr el Ghazal state police commissioner, Sabit Joseph Makelele, has categorically rejected claims that he failed to contain protests on 8 and 9 December in which people were killed and injured.

Protesters were objecting to the moving of the Wau county headquarters to Bagari, 12 miles from its previous location.

Subsequent protests took place due to the deaths in the previous protest.

Makelele told Sudan Tribune on Sunday that he faces no charges despite being fired, but acknowledged that police on his watch opened fire in an attempt to control protests which were taking place without providing authorities with the necessary prior notification.

The South Sudan army (SPLA) spokesperson, Philip Aguer, on 22 December said two police personnel wearing SPLA uniforms were arrested for committing crimes in connection to the incident.

Makelele said that “as a public official, I have been exposed to criticism, much of it empty and unfounded, including reports claiming that I have failed to contain protests.”

"As of tomorrow morning, I will leave this state with my head held high, without having committed any act which I regret. None of the colleagues I have to come know and work with here have a case against me. Actually some of the officers publicly stated in the last meeting, which I held before handing over the office, that they will miss my leadership style. Some officers have said they would want to serve under me wherever I will be assigned by the headquarters," he added.

Minister of interior, Alison Manani Magaya, last week confirmed that Makelele had been suspended but did not say whether the decision was linked to the protest in the state. Magaya said the decision was an administrative issue which he did not want to be discussed in the media.

Western Bahr el Ghazal state minister of information and communications, Derik Alfred Uya, last week accused the police of failing to contain the protests and for allowing them to take place without the prior approval of the relevant authorities.

The protesters, according to Uya, were targeting the central bank branch office in the state, allegedly with the intention of looting and burning; evidenced by them being found with kerosene and firearms. Another group, he said, moved to Jebel Kheir at the outskirts of Wau town and set fire to the police camp there.

(ST)


Al Jazeera English | Protestors shot at by South Sudan army | 13 December 2012


JPEG - 15.5 kb
Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


The Berlin Meeting: What’s at stake? 2015-02-25 11:33:06 By the Sudan Democracy First Group (SDFG) Between 25 and 27 February, Berlin will become the hub for the Sudanese unarmed and armed opposition, invited by the German Foreign Ministry and the (...)

Can a democratic government extend its own life? 2015-02-23 07:32:25 By Dr Lam Akol Last Thursday, the government tabled before parliament an amendment bill in order to amend the Constitution for the Government to extend its life for two more years. In a (...)

Understanding Arusha agreement and the IGAD process for South Sudan 2015-02-21 09:25:14 By Beny Gideon Mabor Today is another important day once again to stand before you and discussed agenda of public interest-the interest for peaceful settlement of the emerging deadly armed (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Archbishop Taban calls for reconciliation and forgiveness 2015-02-23 09:30:38 February 2015 Greetings from Peace Village, Kuron. It is really a Peace Village. I had my peaceful Christmas and a Prosperous New Year in Kuron. God really blessed the area with Peace. You can (...)

WFP appreciates US additional support for S. Sudan’s hungry 2015-02-19 08:20:15 17 February 2015 (JUBA)- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has welcomed a contribution of US$165.5 million from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to feed (...)

Press Release from the SPLM/A (IO) in Uganda 2015-02-11 09:39:09 February 10, 2015 1. The office of the SPLM/A (IO) and the presence of its diplomatic representation that was established under the Kampala outcome of the 21st August 2014 is operational and has (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.