November 30, 2012 (KHARTOUM) — Sudanese presidential assistants Nafie Ali Nafie said the government is determined to prosecute the arrested former officials and military accused of involvement in the foiled attempt against the regime.
- A file photo shows Salah Gosh, former director of Sudanese security and intelligence service talking with Nafie Ali Nafie, presidential assistant in Nov 2007 in Sirte Libya (photo Fred NOY/UNMIS)
Salah Gosh, former director of Sudanese intelligence and security service and Mohamed Ibrahim former head of presidential security force, are among a number of military arrested since the announcement of the aborted coup last week.
Reports from Khartoum says security services continue to arrest some former Mujahedeen suspected to be involved in the coup. Al-Sae’ohoon, (the wanderers) said in their Facebook’s page that security forces arrested Friday Omer Abdel Fatah the border of a famous former military member of their group called Ali Abdel Fatah who was killed during the war with former South Sudanese rebels.
In a briefing to a selected group of editors in chief in Khartoum about the arrest of Gosh and other other people accused of taking part in the attempt, Nafie dismissed rumours saying they accusations of the coup d’état are groundless.
He reaffirmed that the plotters had already attempted in the past to carry out their coup d’état and they were released and warned against repeating it.
"Therefore it is necessary this time to deal with this issue decisively regardless of the number of arrested people" Nafie said, stressing on the need to inform the public opinion about all the facts related to their coup.
Gosh worked with Nafie who was the head of intelligence service in the nineties before to be appointed in 2004 at the head of the National Intelligence and Security Services. In August 2009, he was "promoted" presidential adviser for security issues but relieved from his position on 26 April 2011.
At the time, there was no explanation for why he had been removed from his position, but different sources said Nafie was behind that decision.
Recently, he was excluded from all the committees and activities where he was involved like the talks with the South Sudan over outstanding issues or the ruling National Congress Party committees.
He was also criticised by the foreign minister Ali Karti about his contacts with the U.S. intelligence service .
Karti said without naming him that Gosh had gave the CIA all the information the Sudanese intelligence had about the terror groups without any benefit for the country.
Gosh was always suspected of working for his personal ambitions.
Reliable sources in Khartoum said the former head of intelligence refuses to deal with the investigators and said he would only speak before the judge.
The security service searched Gosh’s house in Khartoum on Thursday and confiscated his computer, a surveillance camera and documents and papers found on his office.