Home | News    Tuesday 27 November 2012

Two opposition members held in connection with coup attempt: official

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

November 26, 2012 (KHARTOUM) – Two opposition member were taken into custody in connection with the coup attempt authorities uncovered last week, the government spokesperson said today.

JPEG - 22.2 kb
Sudanese Information Minister Ahmed Bilal Osman attends a press conference in the capital Khartoum on November 22, 2012 (Getty Images)

In an interview on privately-owned Blue Nile TV information minister Ahmed Bilal Osman said that the two civilian elements were detected to have been in contact with Darfur Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) and other opposition groups.

Osman did not name the two figures arrested or detail their affiliations. He also denied that additional arrests were made but pointed out that some may be summoned and interrogated as witnesses not suspects.

On Thursday morning, the National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) announced that they have thwarted what they described as a sabotage plot by members of the army, paramilitary forces and NISS.

Later that day the government revealed that NISS ex-director Salah Gosh was among the 13 people arrested. Also among those detained was influential Islamist military general Mohamed Ibrahim Abdel-Galil who is believed to be the leader of the group widely known as "Al-Sae’ohoon" which formed the core of special forces fighting South Sudan rebels during the civil war since president Omer Hassan al-Bashir came to power in 1998 in a bloodless military coup backed by the National Islamist Front (NIF).

Ibrahim was also in charge of presidential security for seven years.

The arrests further fueled anger among the Islamist base which has been pushing for reforms in the ruling National Congress Party, Islamist Movement (IM) and the government as a whole.

The reformist were already infuriated at the IM convention that took place this month after it brushed aside its main demand to segregate IM from the NCP and maintained the status quo.

Most Islamists as well as opposition figures believe that the arrests was a preemptive move to neutralize reformists and not based on a real plot.

But the information minister insisted that the authorities are in possession of solid evidence implicating those arrested that will be revealed to the public at the right time and after investigations are complete.

He acknowledged however, that some of those detained may end up being cleared.

"The accused is innocent until proven guilty and we don’t want to incriminate people," Osman said.

He said that the government is not "stupid" to fake a "serious" case like this and revealed that the plan of the conspirators was to carry out assassinations and arrests of some figures but did not elaborate.

"I cannot say more than this but there is evidence and proof and many large signs confirming this and if it wasn’t for that they wouldn’t be arrested specially that they are not ordinary people " the government spokesperson added.

In a related statement, the deputy parliament speaker Samia Ahmed stressed that those arrested will be afforded fair trials and denied that the NCP is going through a crisis over the arrests. She also expressed doubts about reports that this issue will be resolved through reconciliation to avoid split in the NCP and the IM.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 27 November 2012 08:20, by Dinka Dominated SPLA/M

    This is how we will arrest all current nyagateen and former nyagateen very soon in south Sudan,

    repondre message

    • 27 November 2012 08:27, by omoni jr.

      D.D.S.
      Reuben Malek was almost killed by you idiot.

      repondre message

      • 27 November 2012 08:33, by omoni jr.

        The names of Dinka Dominated Spla.
        1-Dr james okuk.
        2 Aaban from Darfur
        3-Lam Akol.
        3-murle Agent
        4-Land-lord.
        5-puot machar.
        so, what is the really name of Dinka dominated spla/m?

        repondre message

      • 27 November 2012 08:45, by Dinka Dominated SPLA/M

        You are really a little confused retard son of poor family with low life and I will not be bother by what you said because you by yourself know it what you said is nothing but baseless false believed, ahahaha

        repondre message

      • 28 November 2012 07:21, by George Bol

        My friend Ruben Malek-the well respected major general in the army can not be murdered like that. Just a matter of time and those behind the killing his body guard will be scrutinized.
        He has been the leading major general in Kurmuk, Jokow, Nasir, and majot towns in Equatoria. If someone muredr him than his death will even take you yeah Nyamnyam.

        repondre message

    • 27 November 2012 08:29, by zulu

      Nefie and Taha are smart to get Ghost Gosh so they die together with donkey beshit. hahahaha. where is your unity Jalaby?

      repondre message

    • 27 November 2012 22:43, by Baring

      Denka Dominated Corruption.
      Why dont you arrest those who loot our country for 4 Billion Dollars first instate of arresting good people from other tribe...

      repondre message

    • 28 November 2012 07:47, by bakuluk

      you wasting your knowledge to educated some folk, about Nyagateen.the been there for.Dr garang did’t do anything about it,as he well come back RIEK. Maraddit too did well come back thousand of Nyagateen.now day spla,have hundred of Nyagateen military officer and military police.

      repondre message

  • 27 November 2012 20:15, by gludg

    We lack information in this case. Who do we trust?

    link

    link

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Uganda’s military intervention in South Sudan under international law 2014-04-19 09:37:28 Is there foreign policy principle justifying Uganda’s military intervention in South Sudan civil war and under whose authority could the exercise be carried out? By Kuajien Lual Wechtuor April (...)

Al-Bashir’s decree fell short of Sudan’s demands 2014-04-17 09:57:38 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman Ampril 16, 2014 - This article comes against the backdrop of the Decree number 158 of 2014 passed by the National Congress Party (NCP) president Marshal Omer Hassan Ahmed (...)

Why hiring a lawyer if you can buy a judge 2014-04-17 09:11:43 By Dong Samuel Luak April 16, 2014 - Many people in South Sudan are asking, how long did it take President Salva Kiir to plan all this tragedy befalling our young country now? Recruitment, (...)


MORE




VIDEOS



Latest Press Releases


UNICEF supports emergency response for children in Sudan with 89 tons of life-saving supplies 2014-04-19 09:47:06 Khartoum, 18 April 2014 --- Today in Khartoum airport, UNICEF received 89 tons of life-saving supplies to support the humanitarian response to children affected by emergencies in various hot (...)

Letter to the South Sudanese government on the ratification of the African Charter 2014-04-16 06:24:18 Letter to the Government of South Sudan on the ratification of the African Charter H.E. Salva Kiir Mayardit President of the Republic of South Sudan Juba, South Sudan CC: Dr. Barnaba Benjamin (...)

In Sudan, at least 26,000 primary school children risk repeating an entire school year 2014-03-21 08:42:00 UNICEF SUDAN PRESS RELEASE In Sudan, at least 26,000 primary school children risk repeating an entire school year Khartoum, 20 March 2014 --- Primary school-aged children in Sudan are in (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.