Home | News    Sunday 25 November 2012

SUDAN: NCP dissidents warn against harming alleged coup plotters

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

November 24, 2012 (KHARTOUM) – A group of dissenting members from Sudan’s governing National Congress Party (NCP) has stepped up in defense of 13 military and civilian individuals being detained over an alleged coup attempt, warning that any harmful action against them will be “costly”

JPEG - 24.3 kb
A Sudanese woman stands in front of an electoral poster for Sudan’s ruling National Congress Party (File/The Guardian Website)

The group that called itself “NCP-Reform Forum” said in a press release it issued on Saturday that the authorities must abide by the provisions of the law in dealing with the 13 detainees who include ex-intelligence chief Salah Gosh, Brigadier GENERAL Mohamed Ibrahim Abdel-Galil “Wad Ibrahim” from the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF), and Major General Adil Al-Tayeb from the National Intelligence Security Service (NISS).

According to intelligence authorities, those detained are being investigated in connection with the planning a “subversive attempt” that was thwarted at the Zero Hour on Thursday, 22 November.

NCP-Reform Forum’s statement warned that targeting decent and honest elements of the military and holders of different opinions is a national crime, calling for what it described as the frantic media campaign of lies and deception.

The breakaway group said that the sinister propaganda war being waged against the detainees serves to harm the country’s rulers more than its target individuals.

It added that even if the charge facing the detainees has been substantiated by clear and tangible evidence, their crime is defined by all legal and political lexicons as “an attempt to seize power” not a “subversive attempt” or “attempted assassinations”

The group, which was not known before, further warned that harming the detainees will be “costly,”

In the first response to the statement of the nascent group, NCP’s spokesperson Badr Al-Din Ahmad Ibrahim, said his party was not aware of such group. He added that even if there is a wing of reformists within the NCP, they should follow the due process in discussing their demands through the party’s channels not through the media.

Ibrahim asserted that the NCP-Reform Forum has two choices: either to raise its demands within the party or declare its secession officially.

Meanwhile, the government has promised to divulge greater details about the alleged coup attempt as its reverberations continue to create polarization among Islamists and tension between the government and its loyalists.

Media minister and government spokesperson, Ahmad Bilal Osman, announced on Saturday that he intends to disclose more details about the coup attempt today. “We will announce new information about the subversive attempt in a press conference on Sunday [25 November]” he said during an interview with Sudan state TV.

Bilal added that the detainees are receiving good treatment and that investigations with them are being conducted in accordance with the law. He denied reports that more people have been arrested other than the 13 previously announced, urging citizens not to recognize rumors.

According to the minister, the government wants the investigations to be conducted in “a healthy environment”

He said that the attempted coup did not cast any negative security shadows on the country and has no extensions inside security forces, adding that things are back to normal and the public opinion will be provided with all the information.

In other related developments, prominent Islamist and chairman of the NCP’s parliamentary bloc Ghazi Salah Al-Din denied media reports that he had been summoned and questioned over the alleged coup attempt.

The Sudanese daily newspaper Al-Intibaha reported that the authorities arrested a number of officers with connections to the detained SAF general Wad Ibrahim. Those include Captain Ala Al-Din Mohammad Abdel Allah and Captain Ibrahim Obaid Allah from the NISS’s department of operations, the commander-in-chief of the Chadian-Sudanese joint border patrol forces, and lieutenant colonels Rashad and Hassan from SAF’s armored vehicles division.

The alleged coup attempt is evidently creating tension between the government and some of its constituencies. NISS’s director-general Mohammed Atta held a meeting on Friday with a group of nearly 1000 members of the paramilitary Popular Defense Forces (PDF) after they called for the release of the detained individuals.

Atta, who left Khartoum on the same day for Chad, told the disgruntled PDF members that the authorities only arrested the individuals after obtaining enough information and evidences to justify their detention. “Security authorities do not act out of personal whims and they perform their job in a professional and unbiased way”

In the meantime, the newly elected secretary-general of the Islamic Movement (IM), Al-Zuabir Ahmad Al-Hassan, has been holding meetings with influential figures in the government in an attempt to contain widespread discontent among hard-line Islamists over the arrests.

Multiple security and military sources told Sudan Tribune this week that the NISS arrested around 100 pro-government Islamist elements who belong to a group widely known as "Al-Sae’ohoon" who formed the core of special forces fighting South Sudan rebels during the civil war since Bashir came to power in 1998 in a bloodless military coup backed by the National Islamist Front (NIF).

Al-Sae’ohoon has been vocal recently over reform demands and expressed bitterness that the NCP leadership has softened stance on Islamic principles and gave too many concessions to South Sudan in the 2005 Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA), while allowing for the army to suffer military setbacks.

A memo released on Thursday attributed to Al-Sae’ohoon in response to the arrests urged president Bashir to release those detained and described them as the safety valve of the 1989 coup since its inception all through the battles of Heglig this year.

The group underscored that those taken into custody were never carried away by earthly pleasures of power.

The memo blasted defense minister Abdel-Rahim Mohamed Hussein saying he bears responsibility for army failures in relation to South Sudan, the rebel Sudan People Liberation Movement North (SPLM-N) and airstrikes carried out by Israel inside the country that recently targeted a weapons factory in Khartoum.

They went on to say that Hussein sent several generals into retirement only because they expressed their views and provided advice. "[Hussein] is stirring up trouble with [former] head of Sudan’s armored corps Brigadier General Sideeg Fadl [who is] security valve of the [1989] revolution".

"We are all waiting to see what will decisions will emerge [from you] and you must know for sure that they [detainees] all love you and endear you and have respect for you but your defense minister left them with no option but this one" said the memo.

Bashir has long resisted calls for sacking his defense minister over corruption charges and defeats on the battlefield. Hussein came under fire last April for the ease at which Sudan army lost Heglig oilfield to South Sudan.

Earlier this year multiple army sources told Sudan Tribune that a group of 700 army officers urged Bashir to carry out political and military reforms. They also made complaints about the morale and army preparedness. This was in response to the president’s call for them to prepare for the possibility of war with South Sudan.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 25 November 2012 08:28, by George Bol

    Mighty SPLA can never be compare with coward SAF. How many time we overrun the coward SAF with their heavy weapons and air defense. With just spear and light weapons, we are able to chase coward SAF and captured pivotal towns with our courage and sacrifices. Keep bombing us but when we call it a last word, we will stop in Khartoum and other areas.

    repondre message

  • 25 November 2012 08:32, by Akol Liai Mager

    How wonderful is that; NIF’ Coup against NIF had created difficult enemy to deal with! This is a Hyena’s equation of Self-eating to survive. A great chance for Agar/Hillu/Abdelwahid/Minawe and other SRF members to up-route the racists regime.

    repondre message

    • 25 November 2012 10:32, by South South

      Let the dog eats the dog, that’s what we are seeing with members of NCP. Let them fight each other. It is good for South Sudan.

      repondre message

  • 25 November 2012 11:21, by Jok 011

    The late Dr Jahn Garang said that, Khartoum was too deform to be reform, and this is a clear evident from the NCP Reformist, warning the old ncp for a propaganda war of lies and that, any harmful action against the alleged coup attempt detainees will be costly, does it mean that, lies are no longer working? NCP always blame others for their own problem, now you ask your cowardic army who ran away

    repondre message

  • 25 November 2012 16:12, by Kus al-Junub

    ’Useless Junubian’
    you guys are commenting like bitches, most of you never been to battlefield to witness how ’SDF’ steered and crashed coward stupid SPLA in Heglig. if SPLA try again to mimic war with mighty ’SDF’, will not only teach you a lesson but we will take back south Sudan. Gosh and other culprits were smoking guns to harm Sudan, they were hired by Israel and South Sudan toppled al-Bashir

    repondre message

    • 26 November 2012 07:25, by Paul Ongee

      Ya Kush Al-Simal,
      Please, note that the days of National Criminal Party are numbered. Believe me or not. Indiscriminate and provocative bombings will never make any difference in the remaining days of NCP. Since Sept. 27, I didn’t believe in such Agreement with NCP called "Cooperation Agreement (CA)". Was CPA of 2005 not CA?

      repondre message

      • 26 November 2012 07:37, by Paul Ongee

        Ya Kush Al-Simal,
        If you’re talking about that things, ask banat Simal they will tell how Awalad Junubin.....more than those weak fake,black Sudanese Arabs. They say, "Almoskila besh Din Bitatna de. Intum Awalad Junubin Ghowin Sadit fi kula Ahja".

        repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


South Sudan: Justice remains elusive, one year on 2014-12-17 04:17:40 By Elizabeth Deng December 16 2014 - A year after the outbreak of violence in Juba last December, hopes of accountability for abuses linked to the conflict remain distant. Despite repeated calls (...)

President Salva Kiir has betrayed his people and the nation 2014-12-17 04:15:00 By James Gatdet Dak December 15, 2014 - After many painful decades of destructive war of liberation against successive oppressive regimes in Khartoum, people of South Sudan gained their hard won (...)

Sudan protects terrorists 2014-12-15 04:29:57 By Kimberly Hollingsworth* December 15, 2014 - Sudan used to be the heart of Africa; now, Sudan is the heart of international terrorist organizations. Sudan is the hub for training extremists. (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Norway grants US $1.9 million for humanitarian needs in Darfur 2014-12-16 06:47:08 The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) - KHARTOUM Norway helps provide nutritious food to malnourished families in Sudan 14 December 2014 KHARTOUM – The United Nations World Food Programme (...)

Darfur Association "disheartened" by ICC decision to not meet them 2014-12-14 05:50:13 12 December 2014 RE: DPANY Requests/Direction of the OTP in the Situation of Darfur Dear Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda, We, the Darfur People's Association of New York, are disheartened by your (...)

REDRESS calls for the immediate release of Sudan’s distinguished human rights lawyer 2014-12-10 09:02:53 December 9, 2014 ­­ — REDRESS, and many other individuals and organisations around the world, are extremely concerned by the continuing secret detention of Dr. Amin Mekki Medani. On Saturday, 4 (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.