September 20, 2012 (KHARTOUM) — Sudan Armed forces (SAF) announced the seizure of a rebel position in the Blue Nile state on Wednesday.
The government army fight against the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement –North (SPLM-N) in Blue Nile state since September 2011 following the failure of talks to end clashes between the two parties in the neighbouring South Kordofan which had started in June last year.
However, in December 2011 the government forces managed to recapture the main rebel positions and the SPLM-N troops were forces to withdraw to the border with South Sudan.
Al-Sawarmi Kahlid, SAF spokesperson, said the Sudanese troops on Wednesday morning managed to take the control of Sarkam area located on the south western part of Blue Nile state.
He further said SAF forces left large numbers of rebel fighters dead, captured one gun Hauser and a large quantity of artillery and tanks ammunition, pointing out that only two soldiers were injured.
Reached by Sudan Tribune for comment, SPLM-N spokesperson SPLM-N spokesman Arnu Ngutulu Lodi said he had no details about the fight but pledged to come later with more details.
The two parties are negotiating in Addis Ababa as the UN Security Council is expected to meet next week to discuss on the process. The indirect talks are stalled over demands from both sides.
Further, the political talks are complicated by the delay of humanitarian access to the rebel held areas and also the slow progress in the discussions over security issues between Sudan and South Sudan.