Home | News    Sunday 6 May 2012

South Sudan border states experiencing “severe food shortage”

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

May 4, 2012 (JUBA) - South Sudan on Friday expressed concerns over soaring food prices, pointing out that five states that border Sudan are experiencing “severe” food shortages allegedly due to closure of border in May last year.

JPEG - 56.9 kb
Former SPLM secretary-general Pagan Amum speaking at Chatham House in London on 1 May 2012 (Photo: Chatham House)

Senior government officials attribute the cause of severe food shortage in some areas to internal and external conflict as well as crop failure that hit most areas in 2011 planting season, according to a January 2012 joint post-harvest report carried out by the ministry of Agriculture.

“The five states bordering Sudan are experiencing severe food shortage. It is believed that around 3 million, seven hundred and eighty thousands are living in areas experiencing severe food shortage”, Duer Tut Duer, chair of relief and rehabilitation commissioner said on Friday.

In London last week Pagan Amum, South Sudan’s chief negotiator with Sudan, said that a trade emargo had been in place from May 2011 before the independence of South Sudan.

"And these days the government of Sudan has also even taken draconian measures to shoot to kill Sudanese citizens who want to do trade with South Sudan", he said, referring to the policy announced by Sudan first vice president Ali Osman Taha.

"It is actually a net loss to Sudan, as they are forced now... they have lost the entire market of South Sudan, which was traditionally a market monopolized by Sudanese traders, historically." Amum said at Chatham House in London.

At a press briefing in Juba on Friday Duer said that in response to the declaration of severe crop failure and the subsequent appeal launched by the government for assistance, the UN Country Team responded by mobilising resources through the UN Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) to respond to the food crisis in the areas of food security and livelihoods, health and nutrition as well as water and sanitation and emergency rehabilitation of the productive capacities of farmer households.

Duer estimated that among the vulnerable population, 85,900 are children under the age of five years, with 93,000 in the most affected areas and 24,300 in the borderline affected areas. He however revealed that it was not only borderline areas that were seriously affected, but almost the entire country nearly declared emergency crop failure.

"There was an issue drought in some places last year. Rains started late even here in Juba rains as late as May instead of March as usual. They stopped raining even though they started late in May”, Duer explained

The senior relief officer said that a joint multi-sector needs assessment was conducted in order to quantify the people affected in terms of households, gender, age, pregnant and women with young dependents and other important parameters to facilitate a transparent and accountable distribution of emergency assistance to the right households.

“The joint assessment was coordinated by the World Food Programme in collaboration with the Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management involving all critical partners in this exercise.”

He explained further stated that according to the Post Harvest Assessment Report, Northern Bahr el Ghazal, Warrap, Western Bahr el Ghazal, Unity State, Upper Nile and Jonglei States were found as some of the most affected states by the assessment team.

“Therefore, the World Food Programme (WFP) approved an Immediate Response Emergency Operation to provide 1,706 metric tons of food aid for 62,500 beneficiary households in Jonglei area for a period of one month at a total cost of USD1, 347, 287,” he said.

“The distribution of the food rations for the first month have just concluded in Northern Bahr el Ghazal, which is just one of the five affected areas in the country.”

WFP will provide food assistance to a total number of 206,000 people to cover the food needs during the lean season until the next harvest in September 2012. He explained that the food distribution is being done jointly by WFP and the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs.

He explained that prior to the start of the distribution, a Joint Logistic and Capacity Assessment Mission was conducted countrywide by WFP, specifically to identify appropriate stores and distribution centres.

Duer said in addition to this, a pre-distribution training programme for States Disaster Management Committees, storekeepers and food management committees was conducted by the ministry of humanitarian affairs to adequately prepare those who were to do the distribution with the basic skills and techniques involved in food distribution. He said this was designed to ensure equitable, transparent and accountable distribution process.

He also disclosed that the governors of the border states were asked by the ministry of humanitarian affairs to conduct regular meetings to adequately sensitise local authorities to fully understand the distribution formula, concept of operation for their full involvement to further enhance accountability and transparency in the distribution process based on evidence-based data and information from the needs assessment exercise.

He further said that a verification mission comprising of the Office of the President, Office of the Vice President and his commission were deployed to witness the distribution in order to verify the distribution process. According to him, findings from this mission revealed that in overall, the distribution has been very satisfactory. He was, however, quick to state the constraints were encountered relating to beneficiaries submitting their identity cards, right spelling of names on the beneficiary lists and the few omissions of some names due to human error. “But these constraints were adjusted as the distribution progressed,” he said.

He commended the full involvement of women, local authorities and the visible collaborative partnership between government and the WFP. For instance, Emergency and Disaster Management Committees worked alongside the WFP in a coordinated manner. He applauded the leadership role of the state governors, describing it as commendable. He also hailed the leadership role at national level played by the Disaster Management Governing Council under the chair of the Vice President.

He said that due to inadequate global resources to respond to the food crises, the resident coordinator of the UN in South Sudan, working closely with Humanitarian affairs and the Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning approached the Country of the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) to provide technical assistance including a field mission to Juba to finalise an advocacy strategy which will be used for additional resource mobilisation to fill the funding gaps in the response to the food crisis. He revealed that overall sectoral needs will be reflected in the strategy for presentation to donors, a process, which he said will commence on 3 May for early conclusion and subsequent resource mobilisation.

Of significant importance, he went on is the need for more innovative and comprehensive approach that builds on both humanitarian and development assistance so as to increase resilience and promote long-term sustainability. He also stressed that operational single resilience-based approach to the food insecurity and nutrition crisis in the country needs the full support of the United Nations.

“There is therefore an urgent need, concerted and rapid action to meet the immediate emergency needs of the population in the country, while at the same time also addressing the underlying structural causes of food insecurity by building the resilience and address chronic vulnerability in the country,” he said.

“We therefore need to collectively move forward on the resilience agenda by ensuring closer integration of humanitarian and developing programming to address chronic vulnerability and build resilience more effectively."

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 6 May 2012 07:35, by viper

    I don,t think that the issue of food crisis will end in s sudan because there is no step forward now. The gov’t is keeping tractors within Juba, without sending them to states for cultivation. The same gov’t does not want to fund the agriculturalist so that they go to cultivate. The same gov’t has looted the money of our pple and kept the money in the western banks, where is the solution now?

    repondre message

    • 6 May 2012 08:37, by The Republic of South Sudan

      Government have never come up with Food and Agriculture Policy (FAP) which will pinpoint all the under lying cause of chronic food insecurity in the country.The current Minister of Agriculture has failed Eastern Equatoria and looted all the money, how do you expect such a person to change life of 8.3 million if she can not manage serving life of less than a 1/4 of million in her own state

      repondre message

      • 6 May 2012 09:35, by Kurnyel

        Death to all Nuer and Dinkas who do you want to blame here? If you don’t cultivate is your own cause but what I know you South Sudanese are number one lazy in the entire world death le kufar

        repondre message

        • 6 May 2012 10:06, by Dinka Dominated SPLA/M

          Death to your mother and Bashir who love to suck other people blood, that sex contract between your mother and Bashir will expire and we will see where will you take refuge from.

          repondre message

  • 6 May 2012 10:31, by Northern Sudanese

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA insects getting Hungry HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    BTW did you include Kampala to your new map? hahahahahahaha

    repondre message

    • 6 May 2012 13:55, by Diu J.Kuek

      To Northern Sudanese.

      You are so childish and ignorant TERRORIST who have nothing in the brain except killing and murder of people.
      I can see you putting the word insects anywhere please no one is carrying for word express by useless uncivilize leader Omer Bashir we know him every wherever he dance will start abusing.
      For your information your TERRORISTS fellows brothers are facing military court

      repondre message

      • 6 May 2012 14:03, by Diu J.Kuek

        you express your emphyasize but
        there is no mercy for 9/11 plotters Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and three others appeared in the military court today maximum is capital punishment are going to meet the feloows TERRORISTS in the HELL-FIRE as Osama Bin Laden,Abu Musaaf Al Zargawi,Saddam Hassien,Muamar Al Gaddafi,Abu Yemeni soon will follow by Omer Bashir and Dr Hayman Zawehiri.

        repondre message

        • 6 May 2012 14:19, by Diu J.Kuek

          Please conveys this information to the rest of TERRORISTS group Mr Jalaby ,Kurnyel .Mohammed Ali and Sami Al Haj was their Guantanamo camp met have experience this military Court take place in Guantanamo Bay Cuba the Court Presiding by Hon,ble Justice John Brown his Lordship has no mercy on TERRORISTS these fellows TERRORISTS were charges for Hijacking and Mass Murders.

          repondre message

          • 6 May 2012 14:53, by Diu J.Kuek

            Sorry TERRORISTS point of correction I maen to say you express your sympathies with your fellows TERRORISTS who are facing the capital punishment in Guantanamo Bay.may God allow them to HELL-FIRE.

            repondre message

        • 6 May 2012 19:02, by North Sudan

          What do all these names you menttioned have to do with North Sudan?

          repondre message

          • 6 May 2012 21:23, by Diu J.Kuek

            Because they are sharing the terrorists activities with Sudan come to conclusion ask yourself why Osama Bin Laden was chosen Sudan to be his hedden place and why Sami Al Haj was captured by US in Afghanistan its big question my friend that is why I try to remind you for your TERRORISTS brothers trial at Guantanamo Bay.

            repondre message

    • 6 May 2012 18:19, by Ruach

      Northern Al Qaeda.Laught untill you drop down a stool(Sawot) out of your mouth.Shame on u to be Al Qaeda!!We will kill u and your Sultan called Bashir will taken to ICC.He has 10000 different charges.What a Sultan!!

      repondre message

  • 6 May 2012 12:33, by mohammed ali

    It is funny that this theif is accusing Sudan.Just repatriate the 60 million dollars, which we know about and that will feed half of the population of SS.That which we don’t know about is much more; since in only one year $ 1.5 Billions were looooooted and in another year $ 2 billions.It is good that the war had stopped so these are exposed to the poor,starving,innocent & marginalized pple of SS.

    repondre message

    • 6 May 2012 12:47, by mohammed ali

      The stupid SPLA theifs created an unecessary war to cover up for their crimes against the pple of SS.Looting $ 3.5 BILLIONS in a country where 4.7 m are starving more than 50% of the ppl are is a much worst crime than geoncide.Mind you that figure was before shutting down the pipe-line and wagging the unnecessary war,now it is much more than 4.7.Food shortage is now in Juba not only in border stat

      repondre message

    • 6 May 2012 16:10, by Force 1

      Ali, the war started in 1983 and for the last 20 plus years, we never heard anyone from the north Sudan very concerned about people of South Sudan until we shut the oil this year!

      That shows that, it’s not about the people of South Sudan, it’s about you getting the oil again from the South which is not going to happen!

      repondre message

      • 6 May 2012 16:12, by Force 1

        If the oil from South were not shut down, can you imagine how many tens of billions of dollars that would have been made and end up into northern corrupt politicians!

        South Sudan made a smart move and shut down the pipeline and now these tens of billions of dollars are save underground for the people of South Sudan. The new pipeline project to Kenyan port is underway.

        repondre message

  • 6 May 2012 15:59, by wet aweil

    the gov’t should do samething about this food shortage in south sudan specially the states that are bordering sudan,otherwise there will be severe food crise this year and the people will be starve severely.

    repondre message

  • 6 May 2012 17:41, by Northern Sudanese

    lets enjoy some 3 min of humour

    hahahahaahhahaa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gsaW6s8hu8 lazy sudanese hahahahaha, of course we are not that lazy hahahahaa

    repondre message

  • 7 May 2012 02:45, by solider

    why kiir ,bagan mushar and all ss leaders don’t want to bring out SOME of the billions they looooted to save thier ppl?they don’t want to pay a little sacrifice to the ppl they r leading. what amaze me at this critical time they r waging a war in higlig and cuting salaries to fund that useless war,still don’t want to fund the war with SOME of the billions they looooted

    repondre message

  • 31 July 2012 12:22, by danaray79

    Nicely explained. It’s indeed an art to stop new visitors with your attractive writing style. Truly impressive and nice information. Thanks for sharing. Buy Dissertation.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Chemical Weapons Use and International Hypocrisy 2018-04-26 21:31:39 Eric Reeves “The scale and brutality of these attacks are hard to put into words. The images and videos we have seen in the course of our research are truly shocking; in one a young child is (...)

A new approach to peace 2018-04-23 06:16:35 By Miroslav Laják When the United Nations was created, its founders envisioned a different kind of world. A world in which disputes were resolved in meeting rooms and not battlefields. A world (...)

Bring Sudanese troops home now 2018-04-21 15:25:57 By Salah Shuaib The Sudanese troops fighting hard now in Yemen, who were sent there by order of al-Bashir, should return home. The process of implementing this task is much challenging. But, we (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Petition on the Deteriorating Human Rights and Humanitarian Situation in Sudan 2018-04-22 10:01:20 UN Secretary-General, New York African Union Commission, Addis Ababa UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Geneva Petition on the Deteriorating Human Rights and Humanitarian Situation in Sudan (...)

Abyei celebrates Mine Awareness Day 2018-04-05 08:52:03 4 April 2018 | Abyei - The United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA) and the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) commemorated the International Day for Mine Awareness and (...)

Appeal for forgiveness and pardon of John Agou Wuoi 2018-03-07 08:28:08 H.E. Salva Kiir Mayardit, President and Commander-in-Chief, of the Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA), Republic of South Sudan (RSS), 5th February, 2018. Through: Hon. Michael Makuei Lueth (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2018 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.