Home | News    Friday 4 May 2012

Sudan & South Sudan trade accusations of defying UNSC resolution

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

May 3, 2012 (KHARTOUM) – One day after the UN Security Council (UNSC) ordered them to cease hostilities within 48 hours, Sudan and South Sudan are already accusing each other of committing fresh military assaults.

JPEG - 37.2 kb
FILE PHOTO - Sudanese army troops (GETTY)

South Sudan’s army spokesperson, Philip Aguer, said on Thursday that Sudanese warplanes dropped six bombs on their base in Panakuach, Unity State.

Aguer also said that another attack involving aerial bombardment and long-range artillery targeted an army base about 25 km away from Panakuach.

The accusation followed the adoption on Wednesday of a UNSC resolution directing both countries to cease all forms of hostilities, including aerial bombardment, within 48 hours.

Furthermore, the UNSC resolution ordered the two sides to withdraw troops from disputed border regions, including Abyei, within a week in order to prepare for the establishment of a demilitarized border zone.

The UNSC resolution also threatened both countries with non-military sanctions if they don’t conclude negotiations over borders, oil exports and citizenship rights within three months.

Across the border in Khartoum, the spokesman of Sudan’s foreign ministry, Al-Obayd Adam Marawih, issued a statement declaring his country’s commitment to the UNSC resolution with regards to cessation of hostilities.

However, Marawih said that South Sudan had already defied the order and attacked on Thursday the areas Um Dafoug in South Darfur State, Samaha in the newly created state of East Darfur and Talodi in South Kordofan State.

The spokesman is likely to be referring to attacks by the army of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement North (SPLM-N), a Sudanese rebel group fighting to topple the government in Khartoum from South Kordofan and Blue Nile States.

Khartoum says that SPLM-N rebels are still part of South Sudan’s army alongside of which they fought during the north-south civil war in the once-united Sudan.

The Sudanese diplomat also said that South Sudan had already occupied disputed border areas, including Kafia Kingi and Kafia Dabi.

Marwaih warned that Sudan would be entitled to self-defense if South Sudan does not commit to cessation of hostilities and withdrawal of troops.

He reaffirmed Sudan’s commitment to the Abyei Protocol of the 2005 Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA) as well as to implementing the withdrawal of its troops from the region as per the agreement for temporary administrative and security arrangements for Abyei signed in Addis Ababa in June 2011.

Sudan occupied Abyei in May last year and is yet to withdraw troops despite agreeing to do so under the Addis Ababa deal.

Regarding the UNSC resolution, Marawih expressed Khartoum’s positive view of some of its elements, including condemnation of South Sudan’s brief occupation last month of Heglig region as well as calls for assessing the damages allegedly inflicted by the southern army on oil infrastructure there.

However, he maintained that Khartoum will undertake further review of the resolution.

Khartoum is unhappy with the African Union’s decision to involve the UNSC in the roadmap it drew last week to force the two countries to cease hostilities and return to negotiations.
Marawih said in an interview on Wednesday that Khartoum has reservations over the three months ultimatum for concluding talks with South Sudan.

On the other hand, South Sudan said it has agreed to the UNSC resolution. The country’s Minister of Cabinet Affairs Deng Alor Kuol affirmed on Thursday that South Sudan would comply with the resolution.

(ST)

Al Jazeera English | UN threatens sanctions over Sudan dispute | 2 May 2012

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 4 May 2012 08:59, by Thiang Geka

    The Sudan’s Armed Forces are the one carrying out on daily basis a notorous and frequent attacks on civilians and the South Sudan Armed Forces’s positions.

    repondre message

    • 4 May 2012 09:23, by Dinkawarrior

      The so called UN Security Council (UNSC) is securing nothing rather than Oil export to whatever they needed! UNSC have sided together with the criminal call Bashit? How could we truth you at this point? Why is it not three days instead of three months? What about Panthou (Heglid) for SAF to withdraw within 48 hours?

      repondre message

    • 4 May 2012 11:27, by Lango2010

      If the rest from the northeners in this side are keeping silent it mean things are getting worse. no one is above the law,
      these uncultured and an unrule primitive bashir won’t escape UNSC if he wise let him avoid dropping a single boom again in RSS.
      accept it or face it rupt.

      repondre message

    • 4 May 2012 19:16, by Mig—29

      yes the Sudan Armed forces will be carrying daily attckes, till you mother fucking, back staping bastard’s learn that any one fuck around with Sudan his country will turned into a big Hall, watch out the sky’s, shit heads

      repondre message

      • 4 May 2012 21:37, by zulu

        Listen you Mig 29,
        If you carry such attacks you must not deny it. Being a chicken is not manhood. Acknowledge it and we will face you out and do not run to UNSC, arab world or AU. keep quiet and let us smash your ding-heads.
        No rebel has bombs or planes to use. even if the spla had capture gadafi’s fighter plane in Lafon, it did not use it.
        your ecnomy is in deep shit and you are still sucking

        repondre message

    • 4 May 2012 20:07, by Mig—29

      you have biteen the hand that feed you,Eat shit you mother fucker’s, no more food from north watch this before you talk shit you natural born idiots

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdfpFzHm95k

      repondre message

  • 4 May 2012 09:02, by Robot

    The matter is clear, the North are making noise while underground of which its echo is unheard, you have been concealing your wolf behavior by wearing sheep skin, we have uncover you and your real image is reflected to everyone’s eyes in the world, Pathetic fake Arab if AU was not at your rescue we could have already call it a business well done.

    repondre message

  • 4 May 2012 09:59, by Beneben Bai

    Jalaby, when we told you that we withdraw from Panthou due to international community including UNSC reguest and pressure not because we feared you, you claimed defeating our army (SPLA). why are you now crying? let us see this time how you are going to handle it. UNSC is a kohkoh fight it and we will see, ha ha ha haaa. you will follow us doing the same thing (comply) otherwise, UNSC can ....

    repondre message

    • 4 May 2012 11:05, by Pato

      These Arabs are dumb idiots! instead of talking business, the breath war, now wait till we get our pipeline through Kenya and see the motherfuckers crying for food! son of bitches

      repondre message

  • 4 May 2012 11:45, by Ahmado

    Jalaby breaking news south sudan solders are ready now to move back to higlig and look for Bashir until they arest Bashir and take him to icc. my message to you that inform Bashir not to move any how? because SPLA is going to move around at your door in Khartoum.

    repondre message

  • 4 May 2012 11:53, by Abyei Soil

    A man is given a nick names after he has done something very meaningfull on the ground. Insect, insect now insects are men don’t you know them in Panthou?
    Worse are yet to come from mighty Army SPLA Commandos.

    repondre message

  • 4 May 2012 12:46, by Beneben Bai

    thugs in khartoum and theives of NCP, your acts of keeping attack on our army (SPLA) will soon bring in either sactions against you or observers from the UNSC something that you don’t want to happen. ha ha ha haa you foolish, thugs and theives. you will be fucked up by either situations, if it is monitors from UNSC thooot and if sanctions, then it will be a big thoooooot with you. ha ha ha haaaa

    repondre message

  • 4 May 2012 19:36, by Northern Sudanese
    • 5 May 2012 03:16, by anyang

      NORTH IDIOT,
      SHUT SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU FOOL....WHAT DO YOU REALLY KNOW ABOUT SOUTH SUDAN FLAG?

      repondre message

  • 5 May 2012 01:28, by SoSuFreedom

    Omar bashiit supporters are savages! His supporters are made up of marginalized and hopeless fighters who are forced to go and fight "Mighty SPLA". The last time I watched the prisoners of war captured during a 10-day walk over, made me believe that almost all his supporters are as stupid as Bashiit himself is. How can you go to the battle field dressed in sandals?

    repondre message

  • 5 May 2012 10:09, by Daniel Buolmawei

    Well, let say this to Deng Alor. Will you comply to pay the damages that will allege to be assessed? You people do not want to believe in things their are analyzed. It was SAF that damaged our oil in Panthou and there’s no chance for South Sudan to be blamed the damages caused by SAF’s aerial bombardments. Stop going ahead.

    repondre message

  • 5 May 2012 10:13, by Daniel Buolmawei

    "However, Marawih said that South Sudan had already defied the order and attacked on Thursday the areas Um Dafoug in South Darfur State, Samaha in the newly created state of East Darfur and Talodi in South Kordofan State."

    What a laughable statements? South Sudan’s Army Talodi? Um Dafoug was already attacked by JEM. Talodi is now under attack by the great people of Nuba and Blue Nile.

    repondre message

  • 13 July 2013 17:50, by kensingtonsq

    Kensington Square will be accessible via Bartley MRT station on the Circle Line. Commuting to Toa Payoh and Paya Lebar area as well as the city area is therefore very convenient. It is also near to many eateries along the Upper Serangoon area as well as NEX shopping mall.
    Tai Keng court Condo

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Response to Bona Malual statements on Abyei 2017-12-11 20:24:24 By Hon Arop Madut Arop As I was reading the last proof of my new book on the Ngok Dinka history, which is currently with the printers, somebody sent me a recorded voice message purportedly given (...)

Is Jieng Council of Elders responsible for South Sudan crisis? 2017-12-10 17:59:57 By Samuel Maker Amuor Silence means acceptance! It takes less than a minute for one to come across Jieng council of elders’ meddle on national affairs as they claim. Either through social media (...)

Judas Face of Europe: what can you do with thirty coins of silver? 2017-12-09 23:23:11 By Amgad Fareid Eltayeb According to the biblical narrative, thirty coins of silver was the price for which Judas betrayed Jesus and handed him over to the temple priests. According to the same (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


South Sudanese rights group call to release political detainees 2017-12-10 07:50:31 THE INTERNATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS DAY: 10 DECEMBER 2017: SSHURSA CALLS ON ALL TO ACTION FOR SOUTH SUDANESE The 10 December usually marks the international human rights day. SSHURSA notes with (...)

Reactions to government agencies’ conspiracy against Greater Bor community 2017-10-08 07:54:31 By Manyok Abraham Thuch & Kuch Kuol Deng A monkey business or a donkey business in the government of the republic of South Sudan against the citizens is unacceptable. Therefore, we as youth (...)

Amnesty calls to release Nubian activists detained over protest for cultural rights 2017-09-12 20:47:54 AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL PRESS RELEASE 12 September 2017 Egypt: Release 24 Nubian activists detained after protest calling for respect of their cultural rights Egyptian authorities should (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2017 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.