Home | News    Thursday 26 April 2012

Karti stresses Sudan’s demand for security deal with Juba

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

April 25, 2012 (KHARTOUM) – The foreign minister of Sudan, Ali Karti, said on Wednesday that there will be no going back to negotiations with South Sudan unless security relations are sorted out first.

JPEG - 27.3 kb
FILE PHOTO - Sudan foreign minister Ali Karti (RETUTERS)

Karti made his statement following the meeting on Tuesday of the African Union Peace and Security Council (AUPSC) in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa.

The AUPSC issued a statement condemning both Khartoum and Juba for mutual media and military hostilities.

It demanded immediate cessation of all military actions, including aerial bombardment carried out by the Sudanese army on South Sudan’s territories as well as unconditional withdrawal of troops to their respective territories, adding that both parties have conveyed their commitment in this regard “within 48 hours.”

The council also demanded, among other things, the resumption of border security talks “within a week” and called on the two parties to cease support of armed groups on both sides of the border.

Karti said in statements reported by SUNA that Sudan welcomes the priority the AUPSC has accorded to security issues.

Sudan’s top diplomat said that Khartoum is willing to talk on security if the government of South Sudan, for its part, demonstrated genuine desire to engage and follow words by actions.

Karti went on to explain what Khartoum expects Juba to do, saying the latter should recant threats to launch a new attack on Sudan and sever its ties with former comrades-in-arms, the SPLM-N, who are fighting the government in Sudan’s border states of South Kordofan and Blue Nile.

Sudanese officials frequently indicate their conviction that without a security deal with the south, other points of contention including border demarcation, oil exports and citizenship cannot be solved.

The latest round of talks on security, held in Addis Ababa earlier this month, collapsed after Khartoum withdrew over Juba’s refusal to admit to supporting rebel groups.

A week after the talks failed, South Sudan’s army moved to occupy the oil-producing area of Heglig in response to alleged attacks by the Sudanese army deep inside its territories.

The occupation of Heglig lasted for a week and witnessed the worst escalation of rhetoric between the two sides before Sudan claimed taking it back by force and the south said it withdrew troops in response to international pressure.

Karti said that as long as the security issue remains unsettled and South Sudan continues to attack Sudanese territories and support rebel groups “there will be no negotiations.”

The Sudanese minister also expressed skepticism that South Sudan is genuinely seeking a solution, saying that all evidences including, he said, the takeover of Heglig and recent attacks on Talodi town in South Kordofan, point to the contrary.

Juba strongly denies supporting Sudanese rebels and accuses Khartoum of supporting rebel groups in southern territories.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 26 April 2012 10:33, by Makuei

    Bashir is a pig - see him here:)
    http://vimeo.com/user1743461/httpvi...

    Kart is pig number 2.

    repondre message

    • 26 April 2012 11:18, by Otong

      Who cares from the South to negotiate with Sudan in the south.If no acception of peace who care to make peace with thieves?

      repondre message

      • 26 April 2012 11:22, by Otong

        South Sudan accepted the call for peace from the International communites not of fearing to fight with Arabs’s north, just to let the other communities of the world know that you are the ones causing problems.

        repondre message

  • 26 April 2012 10:36, by E. Defense Forces
    • 26 April 2012 11:07, by Dinkawarrior

      The so called NCP is an assembly of evils! The most wanted criminal and his mosquitoes who are sucking everybody’s blood will be in hell soon. How come for you to ask for security while you’re the cause of fear to every Sudanese? Shame you old man!

      repondre message

  • 26 April 2012 10:59, by Luke

    Khartoum should not always bit the drums of war. we kept silence not because we don’t how to fight as we chased you out of Higlig and we withdrawn out forces with our own will. if you continue Mr. Karti SPLA do the same since your brother in law Kimoon is doing nothing but waiting for your bribe. he will see teh right of s. sudanese when the pipeline is built and give Korean more percentages.

    repondre message

  • 26 April 2012 11:13, by kingdom

    Muzee Karti
    which security relations?
    you are the problem in two sudans’ problems you too notorious in relations.

    repondre message

  • 26 April 2012 11:28, by kingdom

    Karti
    is an old stuborn man that never look at the suffering of any human being around, and good at incitemnet of dirty games of their regimes lead by wanted man- the unhuman-thinker Bashir.

    repondre message

  • 26 April 2012 11:45, by Observer

    And what are we offering Mr Karti? Dont you think that we are at fault as well? If you beleive that, you are so out of touch with the ordinary Sudanese- and no that isnt the paid NCP supporters who turn out in front of the cameras
    If we beleive the propaganda there were "thousands of Sudanese celebrating the withdrawal of the S Sudanese from Heilig".Where were they? Not in my part of Khartoum.

    repondre message

    • 26 April 2012 15:03, by mohammed ali

      Observer, thousands of Sudanese were celebrating the expulsion of the SPLA theifs from Heglig.Not only NCP supporters, but including the ALL the opposition parties.If you are saying that they were NCP supporters then I am afraid you are giving the NCP a huge credebility! The celebrations were not only in Khartoum, they were all over Sudan.

      repondre message

      • 26 April 2012 15:10, by mohammed ali

        Observer,I don’t know which part of Khartoum you are living;the question is why you are still there. Go to your paradise!That you were at fault is witnessed by the whole world.We don’t need to say so!Susan Rice didn’t give us a chance to say, she said all. She is your friend , not ours!Barnaba said it was a senseless useless war, your president said he recovered Heglig & he will not receive ...con

        repondre message

        • 26 April 2012 15:21, by mohammed ali

          ..orders from Ban Ki Moon.Seems he succumbed to Basheer orders.The question is, if it is a senseless war and it is why did you go for it?What was the outcome? It is a big loss for SS from all aspects!Security issues should come first.Do whatever you want your country, but you must leave us alone.Any fighter against Sudan should be expelled.Otherwise no negotiation, no oil passing throug our countr

          repondre message

          • 26 April 2012 15:47, by zulu

            Moh
            You th NCP (national Criminal party) are given by the AU 3 months, and the UN has given 2weeks to get back to talks. So, you can waste time, and south sudan has won its diplomatic clout.
            you invade south sudan again, then we will see because u refused to sign the AUSP proposal last time and snuck to launch an attack on south sudan. this time, forget it

            repondre message

            • 26 April 2012 16:00, by zulu

              Ban Ki Mun He said there would be no military solution to the border dispute and called on the leaders of both sides "to stop the slide toward further confrontation and... to return to dialogue as a matter of urgency".
              Hilde Johnson said neither Juba nor Khartoum do not have the right of owning disputed area of Panthou because the boaders have not been demarcated.

              repondre message

              • 26 April 2012 16:16, by zulu

                Besides, south sudan has announced yesterday that it has ruled out oil negotiations from the table. Now, let us talk about the border first before security. Until the border is marked no one talks about security because it forms the basis of terra firma

                repondre message

        • 26 April 2012 22:07, by Observer

          Mohammed Ali,

          You know what they say about people who assume things.. they make as ass of themselves- just as you are.
          I have a Sudan passport, am married to a Sudanese so why should you tell me to leave- just because you dont acknowledge the truth...

          repondre message

  • 27 April 2012 02:42, by Elijah B. Elkan

    This dude Karti, talks like he is the head of the a country. Karti is becoming a nuisance in his press briefing to international community. He has no credibility to speak of. South Sudan is a nation, Karti need to be reminded he is a total buffoon. Bashir is in bussines of killing people, he had killed 2.5 millions southerns. Bashir is the world’s most wanted criminal.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Sudan’s Constitutional Declaration was reduced to absurdity 2019-08-13 20:31:25 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman After paying tributes to the martyrs and hoping healing for wounded and offer sincere greetings to the rebellious Sudanese people who are inevitably victorious, having (...)

Options and opportunities for SPLM-N al-Hilu to join Sudan’s transition 2019-08-13 20:06:06 By Ibrahim B. Musa Despite the initial signing of the political on July, 17th, 2019 and constitutional declaration on August 4th, 2019, as well as the previous exhausting efforts made in (...)

Can Sudan achieve peace and democratic transition? 2019-08-13 07:37:28 By Rosalind Marsden Sudan has a unique opportunity to embrace democratic transition but there is no room for complacency. Comprehensive reforms and a united democratic front will be key to (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)

Joseph Malwal Dong joined the SPLM/A -IO 2019-04-02 08:35:02 SPLM/A (IO) Press Release 1/4/2019 On Hon. Joseph Malwal Dong Joined the SPLM/A (IO) The leadership of the SPLM/A (IO) would like to seize this precious opportunity to announce to members and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.