Home | News    Saturday 24 March 2012

Jonglei peace to begin soon: South Sudan Archbishop says

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

March 23, 2012 (BOR) - The leaders of the Jonglei Peace Initiative arrived in Bor on Friday to discuss how to resolve conflicts that have erupted in June, August and December last year running into 2012.

JPEG - 4.6 Mb
From Left: Archbishop Daniel Deng Bul, Ismail Konyi [in black and white T-shirt], and the rest of the Jonglei Peace Initiative team in Bor. March 23, 2012 (ST)

The committee presented Jonglei governor, Kuol Manyang, with the President of South Sudan’s, plans on how the committee should approach peace in the conflict torn state, where a disarmament campaign is taking place.

Thousands have died in cattle raids and counter attacks, which often involve abducting women and children.

The Jonglei Peace Initiative is led by Archbishop of South Sudan’s Episcopal Church, Daniel Deng Bull, who this week was nominated by the Chatham House think tank in London as their person of the year for his efforts to build peace and reconciliation in the young nation.

Others in the peace initiative include MPs representing Jonglei at the national assembly in Juba: Philip Thon Leek, Ismeal Konyi, Riek Gai, among others. The committee has 23 members.

Speaking to the journalists in Bor, Deng said a comprehensive peace process will soon take place involving all Jonglei’s communities.

He said his committee will attempt to engage the Nuer, Dinka and Murle tribes, who are at the centre of the violence to convince them that there must be peace before a peace conference can begin.

The committee has been give three months by South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir to complete their work in Jonglei, according to Deng.

JPEG - 4.3 Mb
Archbishop Daniel Deng Bul speaking to the press in Bor. March 23, 2012 (ST)

"We came to meet the governor, Kuol Manyang. He has promised to work with us and to support the peace initiative. He is going to support the committee", said Deng.

Deng said that it is time for peace and reconciliation in Jonglei, saying that achieving peace in the state is the task of all the citizens.

"This time, it is important that all of us should work together to see to it that our people are living together in the state", said Deng.

He said the first conference 2-4 April will bring together community leaders and government officials to introduce them to possible ways to end the cycle of violence.

"ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

Deng called upon the Jonglei citizens to respond positively to the peace initiative and respect one another.

"Enough is enough, it is time for us to sit down and solve our problems. It is time to respect one another, and to see that we are equal in the state. Let us forget our differences and let us see the way we can build our state", he said.

Governor Manayng said his government is optimistic that the peace process will be a success alongside the disarmament campaign that began 14 March.

JPEG - 4.4 Mb
Jonglei State Governor, Kuol Manyang Juuk, speaking to the press in Bor. March 23, 2012 (ST)

He said that the disarmament campaign would encourage dialogue, however, it has already led to some clashes between communities and the SPLA. The governor said the process was going well with little resistance.

ABDUCTED WOMEN RETURNED

The Jonglei governor also announced that the Murle have started releasing abducted children and women. He introduced two women with their children who had been returned from Pibor County so that the peace committee could hand them over to their families.

JPEG - 4.5 Mb
Left to right: Jonglei State Governor Kuol Manyang, the Minister of Legal Affairs Mayen Oka, standing behind newly recovered women Yom Machok and Tibatha Nyakau Chol and State Minister of Local Goverment Diing Akol Diing, in front of the governor’s office in Bor. March 23, 2012 (ST)

"These women, one from Uror county, Pieri Payam [District], and the other from Duk wer brought from Pibor and will be handed over to their families by the peace committee", said Manyang.

Yom Machok Lual, a women from Duk County, said she spent two years in Pibor villages, searching for two sons who where abducted.

"When I heard about the forces of disarmament, I went to them in Bis-Bis village and asked them to be moving with them so that I may find my children. I went and found one of [my] sons in one. SPLA told me to go back with him and they said they cannot continue searching for a child because they came for disarmament", she said in Bor.

Machok accused the chief of Bis-Bis village of Pibor of holding and refusing to release most of the abducted children. She said most of the children in Bis-Bis village are from Bor, Duk, and Twic East Counties.

Tabitha Nyakau Chol, says she was abducted from Pieri Payam by the Murle in August 2011 to a place called Ketchou-Katinya village with the rest of the children who were abducted in Pieri.

She said most of the children who were abducted from Pieri Payam are in Ketchou-Katinya.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 24 March 2012 07:06, by backtoschool

    I thing that is a good ideas to involve the source of confilict in Jonglie Konyi.

    by now the peace knocking the door in Jonglie

    repondre message

  • 24 March 2012 07:29, by George Bol

    No others who can initiate the peace but the muonyjang. Without the supper giant Dinka, there would be nothing called the South. Everything started with them especially the good stuffs.

    repondre message

  • 24 March 2012 07:38, by Gumbulla Junior

    Shame on Him,
    What kind of peace can this devil in white collar can bring to jonglei state? Dinka-bor cult advocating for peace!..Enough is Enough..after their gangs have lost bitterly to murle youth on 7th February.Let him fuck up with his peace with his damn ass Jonkoz...fucker

    repondre message

    • 24 March 2012 07:45, by Gumbulla Junior

      No one in murleland and nuerland shall believe in this crap and bunch of lies tabled by this cult just to lobby for funds from international community and get his ass out with cash.where was he when things were hot?who is he trying to fool?let him follow his jonkoz to Nimule and start to preach ..fucken..peace!..Idiot of the highest order.no one is interested in this shit..jonkoz lavaric.

      repondre message

  • 24 March 2012 09:37, by Majongdulthii Anyang-majongduldit

    Thank God if Ismail Konyi accepted peace in Jonglei he was the one inciting Murles to cause atrocities in the state

    repondre message

  • 24 March 2012 15:05, by jacob mayen ajuoi

    look the way our government is begging peace with one tribe. which are suppose to be crash out of jonglei,Murle people they don’t know what are the achievement of the peace,our state fail now to achievement development, because of these idiot people.lets them fuck their legged,and go to Eastern Equatoria, were the came.

    repondre message

  • 24 March 2012 18:54, by panom lualbil

    There w’ll be NO PEACE ever in JONGLEI if they don’t QUIT combining JESUS CHRIST with NGUNDENG. SPLAs are with JESUS that’s why they won CPA against ARAB after a long ran. Just give them order to search their tools thoroughly in bushes, houses with force. Matter fact, I agreed with DAK KUETH rejecting disarmament only if no law against criminals.Take my gun and protect me from enemies that simple.

    repondre message

  • 24 March 2012 22:34, by Dinkawarrior

    The criminal Ismail Konyi need to be prison! He not a peace maker but lawsbraker who killed thousand of people every year. how come for the criminal to be a chef of villagers and the same time to a chef in goverment!

    repondre message

  • 25 March 2012 01:56, by E. Defense Forces

    Dedicated to all south Sudan children. White Lion - When children cry.

    http://www.southsudanhub.com/media/259/White_Lion/

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


The theory of African president and prime minister, working together 2014-11-22 05:32:12 By Steve Paterno November 21, 2014 - Africa is notoriously known for political instability, stemming in most cases, over power struggle among the ruling elites. Often times, the best and quick (...)

The UNAMID internal report on mass rape in Tabit. 2014-11-21 06:09:21 What UNAMID really said about their investigation of mass sexual assaults on Tabit: The internal report on what investigators found By Eric Reeves November 20, 2014 - On November 12, 2014 (...)

Bullying Darfur 2014-11-13 18:13:39 By Namaa Al-Mahdi November 13, 2014 - “We broke their backs in Abu Karshola, I doubt they have recovered since,” said a prominent Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) member about their counter attack on (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan Democracy First Group condemns wave of arbitrary arrests in Sudan 2014-09-25 05:17:35 Sudan Democracy First Group 25 September 2014 - In a desperate attempt to prevent a series of events commemorating the victims of the September 2013 protests, Sudan’s notorious National (...)

HRW calls on UN rights body to press Sudan to investigate murder of peaceful protesters 2014-09-24 21:24:09 Human Rights Watch One Year On, No Justice for Protester Deaths (Geneva, September 23, 2014) – The United Nations Human Rights Council should call on Sudan to account immediately for the death (...)

Hundreds walk for peace in South Sudan 2014-09-23 08:30:16 National Platform for Peace and Reconciliation (NPPR) PRESS RELEASE Juba, 21 September 2014 - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the South Sudan capital Jubato ‘Walk for Peace’and demand (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.