Home | News    Sunday 19 February 2012

S. Sudan withdraws $2.6bn financial offer to Khartoum

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

February 18, 2011 (JUBA) — South Sudan on Friday said it had withdrawn
the $2.6bn offer it initially proposed as financial transitional assistance to Sudan in return for resolving the Abyei dispute, border issues and other outstanding issues between the two nations.

JPEG - 50.2 kb
South Sudan’s cabinet (ST)

The decision, according to the government spokesman, was reached by South Sudan’s council of ministers during its regular sitting, chaired by President Salva Kiir.

The $2.6bn was earmarked to be paid to Khartoum over a four year period.

“The $2.6bn is no longer on the table of the African Union High Level
Implementation Panel (AUHIP) because the Republic of Sudan is not responding
positively as to this gesture,” said Barnaba Benjamin Marial.

South Sudan did make an offer to assist in Khartoum’s transition from dependence on Southern oil revenues, a figure judged reasonable by economists of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the African Union (AU).

The IMF estimates that apart from this new dispute between the two, the secession of South Sudan could cost Sudan more than $7.7 billion in lost revenues over the next four years.

On Tuesday, talks between the two failed after both nations failed to reach a compromise after five days of negotiations in the Ethiopian capital. A proposal tabled by Khartoum detailing its position on oil transit fees and how it should be calculated per barrel of crude exported by South Sudan through the pipelines was rejected by their Southern counterparts.

Khartoum’s demand of $36 per barrel of oil has been described by South Sudan as unrealistic, with the latter suggesting the fee should be around $1 per barrel.

Last week, the UK based charity Global Witness urged the AU, China, and western governments devise immediate remedies to the current dispute between Sudan and South Sudan, amidst heightened tension and talk of war.

“The AU, China, the US, UK, and Norway in particular must engage at the highest diplomatic levels to broker a deal between the two sides,” said Dana Wilkins, Global Witness campaigner.

“The longer this dispute goes on and both economies continue to suffer, the more likely it is that the situation will escalate”.

Oil revenues account for more than 98% of South Sudan’s annual budget.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 19 February 2012 09:00, by Michael Angelo

    Government of Sudan don’t deserve our money. We don’t have to pay them in order to let Abyei go. Abyei & Border must take place if they want it or not.

    repondre message

  • 19 February 2012 09:12, by Marolditapei

    ABYEI IS SOUTH SUDAN, AND WILL ALWAYS BE. IT IS JUST A MATTER OF SIX MONTHS ONLY BEFORE IT IS FULLY REGAINED BY SOUTH. KHARTOUM HAS ALREADY COLLAPSED. ALREADY THERE IS A REFUGEE CAMP BEING SET UP IN ERITREA FOR THOSE WHO ARE FLEEING WEDMADENI FOR SHORTAGES OF FOOD. YOU STUPID JALABY, RESTRAIN YOUR STUPIDITY AND KEEP IT TO YOURSELF AND STUPID FOLKS LIKE BASHIR, STUPID TAH, AND USELESS OTHERS

    repondre message

  • 19 February 2012 11:25, by Isaac Khamis

    We stand behind our government actions, it was wrong to gave theft government finanical assistances while they have already planned to steal.

    repondre message

  • 19 February 2012 11:30, by viper

    Brothers of South Sudan, JALABY would have not brought up this issue of ABYEI’s sale if the head of SS negotiation team had not brought up this proposal last year. Pagan was the first person who was suppose to be condemned by SS and taken away from the negotiation team

    repondre message

  • 19 February 2012 19:50, by morogot batal

    comrade salfa.
    you have to use this 2.6 bn dolars to facilitate with the battle on abyei. we are ready to recover abyei back to south sudan by force now without delay.talking with this fake lost arabs cant weight any good fruits.the only medichine of arabs are bulet tablets

    repondre message

  • 20 February 2012 08:37, by peace seeker

    If South Sudan is sure that Abyei belongs to it,why it offers a $2.6 bn as a bribe.This is a naive way of thinking brothers.Only through a win win solution the issue can be resolved.

    repondre message

  • 14 May 2013 16:18, by dennishobson

    sI2rCD1pYE5mVjBiq6WZXas2w6QSUrssanyong actyon madeira plastica plastic lumber There are some interesting points in time in this article but I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity but I will take hold opinion until

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


South Sudan: Strategic choice between bribery and right to self-determination for Saharawi people 2017-01-22 22:03:05 By Beny Gideon Mabor, Esq Western Sahara known as Saharan Arab Democratic Republic (SADR) was Spanish protectorate in the Maghreb region of North Africa. It is situated north of Kingdom of (...)

Armed Struggle and Civil Resistance in Sudan: A catch 22 situation 2017-01-22 08:22:12 By Elwathig Kameir 1. The Sudan People's Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N) issued a press statement, on Jan. 17, declining a US initiative (of which I have seen a copy) for the delivery and (...)

Civil lawsuit on behalf of Sudanese victims against BNP Paribas 2017-01-22 08:13:14 Civil lawsuit on behalf of Sudanese victims of Khartoum's atrocity crimes brought against BNP Paribas in U.S. Federal District Court (filed January 20, 2017) By Eric Reeves The civil suit (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Abduction of S. Sudan Chief Justice’s aide illegal, should be condemned 2017-01-16 05:27:50 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 16th January 2015 Legal Watch Associates South Sudan has learned with shock and dismay the abduction of Mr Gama Thomas, an aide to the Chief Justice, Chan Reech Madut. (...)

Carter Center welcomes new regulations on humanitarian affairs 2017-01-12 07:53:16 The Carter Center ATLANTA, Januarg 11, 2017 – The Carter Center welcomes the recent regulations issued by the government of Sudan aimed at facilitating humanitarian relief throughout the country (...)

Nertiti massacre in Central Darfur exposes the criminal nature of Bashir’s regime 2017-01-03 11:54:47 Sudan Democracy First Group Nirtiti massacre in Central Darfur exposes the criminal nature of Bashir's regime 2 January 2017 On the first day of 2016, and only one day after President Bashir's (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2017 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.