Home | News    Monday 16 May 2011

Egypt’s foreign minister elected as Arab League SG

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

May 15, 2011 (KHARTOUM) – Egypt’s current foreign minister Nabil Elaraby has been elected as secretary-general of the Arab League after his Qatari competitor Abdul Rahman bin Hamad al-Attiyah withdrew from the race.

JPEG - 11.8 kb
Nabil Elaraby of Egypt (right) was chosen as head of the Arab League yesterday after he replaced a divisive candidate. (Amr Nabil/ Associated Press)

Qatar’s withdrawal of al-Attiyah came in response to Egypt’s last-minute decision to switch from its original candidate, diplomat Mustafa al-Fikki, a member of deposed President Hosni Mubarak’s party.

Hamad bin Jassim, Qatar’s foreign minister, said Egypt’s choice of Elaraby had “encouraged” his country to withdraw its nominee.

“We had agreement in appreciation of Egypt and the revolution of Jan. 25, [so] Qatar withdrew its candidate,” he told the Arab League meeting. “This is the right choice, which encouraged us to support it.’

Elaraby will replace his native Amr Moussa, who held the post for a decade.

Sudan, which backed the Qatari candidate, is yet to officially react to Elaraby’s election. The Sudanese government strongly objected to Egypt’s original choice of Mustafa al-Fikki, citing the candidate’s “hostile” attitude towards Sudan.

Mustafa El-Fiqi cancelled a trip to Sudan earlier this month after he learned of the Sudanese government’s to support the Qatari candidate.

El-Fiqi angered Khartoum when he said in December last year that the current regime of President Al-Bashir is “the worst” in Sudan’s history.

The former adviser to ousted President Mubarak said that the Sudanese government stands fully responsible for the secession of South Sudan, which voted to become an independent state in July this year.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 16 May 2011 10:18, by Adam

    Wow! Sudan diplomacy is finally successful this time. Luck! just luck. Qatar stand was outstanding and saved Arab face.

    This is a good lesson for our to-be-appointed diplomats.

    The elected man is an acceptable figure. I hope he will be helping South Sudan-Middle East relations.

    Adam Milawaki – Mayendit
    Southern Sudan

    repondre message

    • 16 May 2011 14:24, by Makuei

      Congratulation to Nabil and the Egyptian government on their decision to run and victory as well!!

      Now Khartoum can go to Hell!!!

      repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


The fear of political reforms in South Sudan 2019-05-19 02:16:35 By Duop Chak Wuol In his Easter message, President Salva Kiir called on the leader of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-In Opposition (SPLM-IO), Dr Riek Machar, to go to Juba to form a (...)

South Sudan: If only Pope Francis Knew… 2019-05-16 09:10:31 South Sudan: If only Pope Francis Knew… By Wesley Kosa On April, Pope Francis invited the South Sudanese parties for a spiritual retreat, to narrow the gap between them as they get closer to the (...)

Riek Machar has some questions to answer 2019-05-13 12:23:43 By Gordon Buay The Chairman of the SPLM/A-IO, Mr Riek Machar, has some questions to answer why members of his Movement are the organizers of the Facebook Red Card Movement. We thought that the (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)

Joseph Malwal Dong joined the SPLM/A -IO 2019-04-02 08:35:02 SPLM/A (IO) Press Release 1/4/2019 On Hon. Joseph Malwal Dong Joined the SPLM/A (IO) The leadership of the SPLM/A (IO) would like to seize this precious opportunity to announce to members and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.