Home | News    Thursday 25 September 2003

Sudanese government and rebels fighting 20-year civil war sign pact in move to end civil war


NAIROBI, Kenya, Sept 25, 2003 (AP) — The Sudanese government and the main rebel group fighting a 20-year civil war overcame a major stumbling block to end the conflict by signing an agreement Thursday on security arrangements for a six-year transition period.

The agreement will allow the rebel Sudan People’s Liberation Army, or SPLA, to retain its forces in southern Sudan — the main area of fighting — while government and rebel forces will be ``integrated’’ in the capital, Khartoum, and three conflict areas in central Sudan.

Details of the command structure have yet to be worked out, said Lazaro Sumbeiywo, former Kenyan army commander and chief mediator at the talks, which are being held in the Kenyan town of Naivasha.

``There is no doubt the issue of security has been a difficult one,’’ Sumbeiywo said in a statement after Sudanese government and SPLA representatives signed the agreement. ``Your persistence in the matter ... was a clear demonstration that you have both decided to put the interests of your country, the Sudan, before your own interests and that you are determined to realize a just and durable peace.’’

The agreement was reached after three weeks of unprecedented talks between Sudanese Vice President Ali Osman Mohammed Taha and SPLA leader John Garang.

Under the agreement, the rebels will also withdraw their forces from eastern Sudan, while the government will reduce the number of its forces in southern Sudan.

More than 2 million people have died in the conflict, mainly through war-induced famine and disease, since it erupted in 1983 after southern rebels took up arms against the predominantly Arab and Muslim northern government in a bid to obtain greater autonomy for the largely animist and Christian south.

The talks between Taha and Garang began Sept. 4, after the latest peace process to end the conflict stalled because of disagreements over key issues like security arrangements and power-sharing.

In July 2002, shortly after the peace talks began, the government and the SPLA reached a deal known as the Machakos Protocol, under which the government accepted the right of southerners to self-determination through a referendum after six years. The rebels in turn accepted the maintenance of Islamic or sharia law in the north. But since then, progress in the peace process had been halting.

The process is being mediated by the Intergovernmental Authority on Development, or IGAD, a regional authority, although Taha and Garang are said to be carrying out most of the discussions on a one-to-one basis.

The talks will continue in order to resolve other outstanding issues on power and wealth sharing that have prevented the parties reaching a comprehensive peace agreement.

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article


The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.

Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis

SOUTH SUDAN: peace or genocide? 2015-10-07 12:59:30 By Richard Moula President Salva Kiir of South Sudan has once again declared a war of genocide and ethnic cleansing on the small ethnic tribe of Moru in Western Equatoria. As from 16th (...)

G-10 critique of establishment order is a complete baloney 2015-10-07 12:59:22 By Gordon Buay Muolana John Luk must be joking to argue that the Establishment Order that created the 28 states violated South Sudan Transitional Constitution without admitting that the (...)

Why rejecting creation of more states in South Sudan? 2015-10-05 16:31:37 By Peter Gai Manyuon South Sudanese president Salva Kiir has unilaterally decreed expansion of the current Ten (10) states to 28 federal states in the country in an unexpected move announced on (...)


Latest Press Releases

S. Sudan civil society groups to the 28 states issue to constitutional body 2015-10-08 17:26:10 South Sudan Civil Society Organizations Submission on the Creation of 28 States in the Republic of South Sudan Press Statement For immediate Release 8th October 2015 Following the announcement (...)

Sudan Democracy First Group Statement on The International Day for Democracy 2015-10-01 22:18:58 22 September 2015 Sudan Democracy First Group (SDFG) commemorated on 15 September 2015 the International Day for Democracy, which the United Nations (UN) marks as a day to encourage governments (...)

Ambassador Buay congratulates South Sudanese diplomats for blocking sanctions 2015-09-19 00:20:30 SOUTH SUDAN DIPLOMATS IN MOSCOW SHOULD BE CONGRATULATED FOR PERSUADING THE FEDERATION OF RUSSIA TO BLOCK SANCTIONS For Immediate Release 9/18/2015 The people of South Sudan are extremely (...)


Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.