Home | News    Tuesday 8 June 2010

Sudan to lift pre-publication censorship on two newspapers

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

June 7, 2010 (KHARTOUM) — The Sudanese General Union of Sudanese Journalists moderated a dialogue between the National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) and two independent newspapers subject to pre-publication censorship and managed to lift it as a result, state media reported today.

JPEG - 40.3 kb
Demonstration by Sudanese Journalists Network at GoSS offices in Khartoum June, 7 2010 (SJN)

Sudan official news agency (SUNA) quoted the editors in chief of Al-Sahafa and Al-Sudani newspapers Al-Nur Ahmed Al-Nur and Mahjoub Erwa as giving "their absolute commitment on self and professional censorship and everything that threatens the stability of the country".

Al-Nur and Erwa concurred that the conditions of the country "necessitate consultation between them and the competent authorities so as to maintain stability in the country and the press sector in particular".

The Secretary general of the pro-government union Mohyideen Tetawi said that they will defend press freedom by all means but at the same time stressed that "the country’s sovereignty and dignity is a red line cannot be overstepped".

Sudanese president Omer Hassan Al-Bashir last year lifted press censorship after petitions from the journalists’ union but warned editor in chiefs that they should “avoid what leads to exceeding the red lines and avoid mixing what is patriotic and what is destructive to the nation, sovereignty, security, values and its morality”.

Direct pre-publication censorship was reintroduced for two daily papers last month and on Saturday night four others also complained they were visited by Sudanese security forces who removed many pages of content.

On Sunday Ajras al-Hurriya paper, aligned to the former southern rebel Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM), suspended publication for one week in protest at censorship by authorities. Al-Midan, Another pro-communist newspaper, was not allowed to print for what appears to be in response to its coverage of the doctors’ strike underway.

Other papers said they were called and told not to write about the strike or the International Criminal Court (ICC), unless it was from a government source.

The ICC issued an arrest warrant for Bashir last year for war crimes during a brutal counter-insurgency campaign in Sudan’s western Darfur region, charges he rejects.

In a related issue a group of Sudanese journalists called on the President of Southern Sudan Government to release their detained colleagues and to investigate the unconstitutional arrest.

The Sudanese Journalists Network which includes hundreds of independent journalists organized a protest on Monday outside the office of the regional government of Southern Sudan in Khartoum to protest against the detention of journalists from Southern Sudan Radio and Television stations last May.

Last May security members arrested journalists from the two official media organs after their strike on the delayed payment of their 12-month arrears of housing allowances.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


EU and Sudan to strengthen dialogue and cooperation 2016-04-06 21:00:02 By Neven Mimica Yesterday I concluded a two day visit to Sudan, a country at crossroads between peace and conflict, hope and despair, progress and a challenging economic situation. Sudan is (...)

Bashir’s Darfur Referendum is fundamentally flawed 2016-04-06 20:24:35 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman Omar al-Bashir government's justification for an administrative referendum for the Darfur region is void because peace agreements in Abuja and Doha under which decided the (...)

Dr. Boutros Boutros Ghali, a man of mission 2016-04-02 05:19:15 By Ambassador Dhano Obongo On November 14, 1922, in Cairo, Egypt, Boutros Boutros Ghali was born into an Egyptian Coptic Christian family. He went to glory on February 16, 2016. His grandfather (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Report on a tour of the SPLM-N secretary-general in the Nuba Mountains 2016-04-02 07:11:03 Sudan Peoples’ Liberation Movement – North (SPLM-N) *** Nuba Mountains of South Kordofan March 30, 2016 · The SPLM-N is for peace, but the Addis Ababa Agreement will co-opt the opposition into the (...)

Sudan: Silencing women rights defenders 2016-03-31 20:22:15 Human Rights Watch Sudan: Silencing Women Rights Defenders Sexual Abuse, Intimidation by Security Forces (Nairobi, March 24, 2016) – Sudanese security forces have used sexual violence, (...)

AUHIP’s roadmap is a continuation of failure, says SDFG 2016-03-24 13:34:47 Sudan Democracy First Group A continuation of Failure: The AUHIP sign a Unilateral Road Map Agreement with the NCP. On 21 March 2016 and in a clear violation and departure of the (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2016 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.