Home | News    Saturday 27 March 2010

UN to probe attack on peacekeepers in South Darfur

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

March 26, 2010 (UNITED NATIONS) – The United Nations wants to know who ambushed a patrol of the joint peacekeeping mission in South Darfur state earlier this month as the government and rebels traded accusations over the responsibility of the attack.

JPEG - 41.5 kb
An armoured personnel carrier manned by South African soldiers serving with the UNAMID drives through the village of Kafod in North Darfur during a patrol through the region. (photo by UN)

Unidentified armed men ambushed a UNAMID patrol in Jebel Marra on Friday March 5 and released them twenty four hours later after robbing their vehicles, equipments, personal belongings and money. Also, a peacekeeper was shot in the head by the attackers during the ambush but was saved by his helmet and only suffered a minor injury.

The 60-member patrol was in the area of Deribat in South Darfur, to assess the humanitarian situation, following reports about heavy fighting between the Sudanese army and SLA-led by Abdel Wahid Al-Nur that triggered displacement of thousands of civilians.

Alain Le Roy, Under Secretary-General for Peace Keeping Operations, told reporters on Thursday he wanted to indentify the responsible of the ambush stressing that the peacekeepers have the right to go anywhere in the restive region.

"I need of course a full investigation," he said, adding that if he found UNAMID peacekeepers guilty of poor planning or other mistakes disciplinary action would be taken.

"We will continue to go into Jebel Marra," Le Roy said, calling the ambush "a very grave and serious incident."

Sudan blamed the Nigerian troops for allowing the armed men to take their weapons and equipment saying they have to explain how it can happen. Also the government said its troops in the area had advised the peacekeepers to not take that road where they were attacked but they disregarded its advice.

The Sudanese foreign ministry asked the deputy chief of the UNAMID for operations, Mohamed Younis to clarify the circumstances of the attack. Also, the ministry requested to form a joint fact-finding mission to investigate the ambush.

The area was the theatre of heavy fighting between the rebel Sudan Liberation Movement led by Abdel Wahid Al-Nur (SLM/AW), and the regular army and militias loyal to the government. The rebels had accused the Sudanese authorities of mobilizing militias to attack villagers in Jebel Marra.

The rebel group dismissed government accusation. Al-Nur said such attacks are undertaken by bandits and militiamen working for the government stressing they "would not tarnish their struggle for the rights of Darfur people".

After a first ever meeting held last week in Paris with the new UNAMID chief, the rebel leader Al-Nur said they would cooperate in the future with the peacekeeping mission in order to "avoid any confusion that may be profitable to Khartoum propaganda".

He added all the attacks against the UNAMID in the past two years were carried out by the Janjaweed militiamen.

The peacekeeping chief Le Roy, in his remarks yesterday stressed on the security conditions and planning of the mission saying they might sanction the local military command for the ill-preparation.

"When you are attacked, the rules of engagement are very clear: you have the right to use your weapons in ... self defense," Le Roy said.

"If it’s the case that they (UNAMID) have not reacted, or if the mission was badly planned, then there will be ... sanctions because that is of course unacceptable for the credibility of U.N. peacekeeping," he said.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 27 March 2010 04:49, by Dinka Dominated SPLA

    ? cunt-dinkum thieleling,we are agents of hate and violence but you are the tiny microorganisms that depend on the threshold of his life on host.look son of bitch, dinka-Bor is the basic fundamental unit of southern sudan. you have been bribes with huge sum of money that why you celebrates Riek Machar poor leadership.

    you are waivering the genocide warrior, look back in the history, Riek is awaiting international tribunal because he have had committed a genocide in Bor in 1991.

    your culture (especially Nuer’s culture with head-based initiations) is the worse ever around the globe.

    on my holiday last year, i went to New york city, i saw a nuer initiated gentleman with forehead being cut badly of which a white man approach me and asked me about the man, my answer was, he is Nuer the last useless people in the world. with your culture man, nothing worth in Nuer including eating, alcohol consumption and fighting without socialisation.

    Look, Riek machar brought alot of discrepancies to southern sudan because he was granted a hugh sum of money by Bashir to dealt with SPLA/M arm forces to be surrender to the Khartoum Government!

    fake idea that doesn’t work. DR. John Garang & Dr. Mr president KIIR Mayardit are the most world known HEROES in south History. did u hear me son of bitch!!!!. kiss ma ass dogz.
    In this situation mr nasir gang leader is ajoke that nobody will pay attention to him as very important to the south or sudan in general. reik mean death

    WISHING RIEK MACHAR A TERRIBLE DEATH & VIOLENT FUNERAL FROM TRIBUNAL WORLD COURT!

    repondre message

  • 27 March 2010 07:59, by telfajbago

    The Government of Sudan bear full responsibilty for the attacks on UNAMID forces that took place last month, after they did a very smart ambush to the UNAMID near Gardoud and in place contingence to the rebel held area to create an element of confusion. To be more specific a bout the attack; UNAMID forces started their move from Kass on their way to Dirrbat, they reached Gardoud,and from Gardoud there are two ways that can lead to Dirrbat. a short way ( Gardoud-Jabbra-leiba -Dirrbat.) and a very long circular way( Gardoud-Kara-kidnjeer -Jabra -leiba -Dirrbat).regrettably the Government took them by the circular road and attacked them near Kara 15 kilometers from Gardoud the strong hold of it’s Janjaweed. Nevertheless; they summoned the UNAMID head to threat them not to think of going to jabal Marra again, and put the blame on them for the attack and that they intentionally giving their weapons and logistics to the rebels. what a mockery!!!

    repondre message

    • 27 March 2010 10:34, by DASODIKO

      according to my information the UNAMAID held meeting in Niyala and Kasss with Sudan government security personels. Mr. Fury Roe should know first what was that meeting about. Also also if they have contacted and informed the rebels in Dirbat that they were coming so that they could have watched closely to guarantee their safety. These are all inportant question. Where were the five tactical Helicopters for surveilance?

      But no doubt the goverenmnet of Sudan is the one who set them up; because the Wali of South Darfur in an statement said that UNAMAID is a burdent for Sudan arm forces; which means they don’t want them in Darfur. Therefore they must do everything bad things possible to let them quit Darfur.

      I suggest for the UNSC to promote the mandate of UNAMAID TO CHAPTER SEVEN so that they can be able to protect themsleves first and then the IDPs and refugees second.

      repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


What if Dr. John Garang were alive today? 2019-12-05 08:21:57 By Nhial T. Tutlam Let’s imagine that on the fateful day of July 30, 2005 the helicopter carrying Dr. John Garang from Uganda back to his base in Southern Sudan arrived safely. Let’s further (...)

The cries of South Sudanese women in Australia 2019-12-04 07:13:57 Biong Deng Biong Amidst Melbourne’s African youth crime saga and its associated political chaos, a quiet cohort watch events unfold, weary and grim-faced. They are the struggling mothers of the (...)

South Sudan’s Security Arrangements: flawed rhetoric vs real practice 2019-12-02 06:41:06 By Steve Paterno Some compatriot South Sudanese wrote on his Facebook status, jokingly by urging people to flock to cantonment sites in big number to fulfil the required 83,0000, a threshold the (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.