Home | News    Thursday 9 April 2009

Darfur rebels reject Bashir’s call for reconciliation

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

April 8, 2009 (PARIS) — Darfur rebel groups slammed the Sudanese President’s call for reconciliation in Darfur and asked him to cooperate with international justice.

JPEG - 16.8 kb
People living in Kalma camp, one of the biggest internally displaced camps of Darfur, hold up a sign in protest, (file photo June 2005)

President Omer Hassan Al-Bashir – who is wanted by the International Criminal Court – pledged yesterday in a speech delivered in Zalingei, West Darfur, to investigate and prosecute those who committed war crimes in the region.

However, he said that trials and compensations can only be commenced after reconciliation is achieved.

Ahmed Hussein Adam, the spokesperson of the rebel Justice and Equality Movement downplayed Bashir’s offer saying such statement are "nonsense" because they had been repeated in the past but never been implemented.

Abdelwahid Al-Nur, the leader of the Sudan Liberation Movement added that tribal reconciliation is a process well known by Darfur people to settle traditional conflicts but "genocide and crimes against humanity committed by the regime should be tried by the ICC because they were committed by the government."

"What Bashir says is irrelevant" said Al-Nur.

The SLM founder also stressed that the first thing Khartoum should start with is to disarm its militia and then they could speak about reconciliation or compensation. He pointed out that nobody can return to his homeland or village without the disarmament of militia, because "the Janjaweed will attack them to collect their compensations even if so-called reconciliation conferences are held."

Adam also said that Bashir launches such promises just to avoid international pressure after the ICC decision. He stressed that justice is part and parcel of the peace process.

The Sudanese government has mobilized local militias and conducted counter-insurgency campaigns in Darfur since 2003. According to the UN, some 300,000 people were killed and 2.7 displaced as a result of this repression.

On March 4, the ICC pre-trial chamber issued an arrest warrant for the Sudanese president on war crimes and crimes against humanity. The government immediately retaliated by ordering some 13 international non-governmental organizations out of the country.

The two rebel officials said Bashir has to reverse his decision and allow the return of the expelled aid groups. They pointed to the critical situation created by the eviction of the aid groups and deplored the international lack of action in this regard.

Adam stressed that these ousted groups are administrating 60% of the international aid to the Darfur people while Al-Nur underscored the need for water and health service saying that Darfur needs more aid groups because the camps are receiving news waves of IDPs.

The UN humanitarian official, Ameera Haq last month said that the government and UN partners are working to cover gaps. However she stressed that the "risks of increased morbidity and mortality are high." Haq underlined the need for concrete plans in order to bridge the gaps in the coming weeks.

The Sudanese government said at different times since March 4, that its decision is irreversible. Also the Sudanese president Omer Al-Bashir said he intends to “sudanize” the humanitarian activities by the end of the year.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 9 April 2009 07:17, by Mr Famous Big_Logic_Boy

    He should reconcile to those who are already in graves not those survivor of genocide. A fool would accept this monster who call himself al bashir or barshit. Power should be carryed in a meaningfull way not cruel or dangerous to the citizens like what you have done to the African people in Sudan.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Delaying peace in Sudan will have deleterious consequences 2019-10-13 05:26:40 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman Sudan has been torn by Government waged wars against its people since its independence on Sunday the first of January 1956 from the Anglo-Egyptian Colonialism, better (...)

The Sentry Report, War Crimes: Isn’t it time for immunities and restarting South Sudan afresh? 2019-10-10 13:24:03 By Roger Alfred Yoron Modi Last month, The Sentry Report released a report titled “The Taking of South Sudan- the Tycoons, Brokers, and Multinational Corporations Complicit in Hijacking the (...)

Solutions to South Sudan deadlock on States number and Federalism 2019-10-07 06:30:52 By Roger Alfred Yoron Modi Since 2015, South Sudan government and opposition groups have been on a deadlock over the move of the former to partition the Country into 28 States (and now 32 (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.