Home | News    Saturday 21 March 2009

ICC prosecutor says he received ‘zero’ information from NGO’s in Sudan

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

March 20, 2009 (NEW YORK) — The prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) Luis Moreno-Ocampo denied allegations by Sudan that his office received information from aid groups operating in Darfur.

JPEG - 16.5 kb
Luis Moreno Ocampo, prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (AP)

On March 4th the judges of the Pre-Trial Chamber I at the ICC issued an arrest warrant for Sudanese president Omer Hassan Al-Bashir on seven counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity, which include murder, rape and torture.

Bashir afterwards expelled expel 13 relief organizations from Darfur and Northern Sudan accusing them of passing “false” information to the court.

But Ocampo said he relied on “zero” information from humanitarian agencies for his Darfur investigations.

“I respect different mandates — I never requested information from any of these NGOs” told reporters at the UN headquarters in New York following a UN Security Council (UNSC) briefing on Darfur humanitarian situation.

Reuters said that the ICC’s prosecutor was in New York to urge countries to act on the ICC arrest warrant against Bashir.

“As soon as he travels through the international airspace he could be arrested. Slobodan Milosevic and Charles Taylor show that the destiny of Mr. Bashir is to face justice” he said.

“Two months or two years will depend on the state and how they act. But his destiny is to face justice” Ocampo asserted.

In an interview with Egypt’s independent Al-Isboa weekly the Sudanese leader stressed that he will fly to Doha to attend the Arab summit for which he received an official invitation a week ago.

On Monday the Arab League Secretary General Amr Moussa from the Syrian capital said that his organization as well as Qatar received the cooperation request but turned it down.

The ICC prosecutor rejected criticism by some states that his move to charge Bashir led to the expulsion of the relief groups.

“It is very interesting, the prosecutor is responsible not the criminal?” he said sarcastically.

“The king is naked” Ocampo said, referring to Bashir. “It is not my responsibility that he is naked”.

“The court decided that Bashir committed extermination against the civilians in Darfur including affecting humanitarian health in the camps” Ocampo said.

“Expelling them [humanitarian groups] is confirming the crime” he added.

The ICC prosecutor also told Reuters that the judges will soon decide on a case he submitted last year against three unidentified rebel figures accused of masterminding an attack on African Union (AU) peacekeepers in October 2007.

U.N. officials say that as many as 300,000 people have died in six years of conflict in Darfur between African rebels and the Arab-dominated government. Khartoum says 10,000 have died.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 21 March 2009 23:37, by David Glenn

    The Prosecutor General should better ask his own friends,the Office of the SLM in Israel,who admitted that the some NGOs,have collected evidence for the ICC.It is no seceret,that this celebrity Prosecutor General is worried aboit his creibility after all the information that emerged about him and his contacts.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


How Salva Kiir going to be remembered in South Sudan history? 2019-07-21 07:16:53 By Lul Gatkuoth Gatluak This article is focusing on Salva Kiir’s South Sudan Independence Day address, his successes, failures and most importantly, how history will judge and remember him since (...)

Why Sudanese should cautiously celebrate the political declaration? 2019-07-20 05:47:52 By Luka Biong Deng Kuol As Sudanese have every reason to celebrate the political declaration signed by the Forces for Freedom and Change (FFC) and Transitional Military Council (TMC), one may (...)

Change in Sudan requires consensus between civilian and armed forces 2019-07-20 05:47:42 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman Cleansing the Effects of the Systematic Demolition of the State of Sudan Over the past 30 years requires a minimum consensus agreement between the components of the (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)

Joseph Malwal Dong joined the SPLM/A -IO 2019-04-02 08:35:02 SPLM/A (IO) Press Release 1/4/2019 On Hon. Joseph Malwal Dong Joined the SPLM/A (IO) The leadership of the SPLM/A (IO) would like to seize this precious opportunity to announce to members and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.