Home | News    Thursday 25 September 2008

UN rights body renews mandate of Sudan rapporteur for 6 months

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

September 24 2008 (GENEVA) — The United Nations Human Rights Council renewed today for six month the mandate of its Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Sudan.

JPEG - 13.4 kb

The renewal of the unpaid position comes as compromise sponsored by the African group and the European Union. Khartoum had orchestrated an important campaign to evict the Afghan r Sima Samar while the EU lobbied to re-conduct her for a year.

The Council’s President, Martin Ihoeghian Uhomoibi, said that the renewal of Samar mandate was “a very important message from the international community of their understanding of the situation in that country.” He also said that the consensual outcome b between the AU and the EU meant to admit some positive steps taken by Sudan.

He added that the resolution on the issue had been co-sponsored by the African Group and the European Union, showing that the two sides had reached a consensual outcome on the situation in Sudan.

"The idea is not to be punitive. The idea is to encourage. It is meant to do what is needed in the interest of human rights and the rights of all citizens." Uhomoibi said.

The adopted resolution left open whether she could continue after the end of the six months.

Samar’s report earlier this month offered a damning view of human rights situation in Sudan. The human rights expert said that Sudan carries out “indiscriminate” and “disproportionate” bombing of civilians in the war ravaged region of Darfur.

She also spoke of torture, disappearances and suppression of the freedom of the expression in the country.

The Sudanese Ambassador to the U.N. in Geneva las week described Samar as EU agent."The special rapporteur on Sudan, Miss Sima Samar, has demonstrated that she is an agent of the European Union rather than (being) the Human Rights Council rapporteur," he said.

UN experts estimate some 300,000 people have died and 2.5 million driven from their homes. Sudan blames the Western media for exaggerating the conflict and puts the death toll at 10,000.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


The UNAMID internal report on mass rape in Tabit. 2014-11-21 06:09:21 What UNAMID really said about their investigation of mass sexual assaults on Tabit: The internal report on what investigators found By Eric Reeves November 20, 2014 - On November 12, 2014 (...)

Bullying Darfur 2014-11-13 18:13:39 By Namaa Al-Mahdi November 13, 2014 - “We broke their backs in Abu Karshola, I doubt they have recovered since,” said a prominent Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) member about their counter attack on (...)

Mass Sexual Violence: UNAMID declares it finds "no evidence" 2014-11-12 08:22:38 By Eric Reeves November 10, 2014 - For over a week reports from Darfuris in the Tabit area (45 kilometre southwest of El-Fashir, North Darfur) have provided detailed accounts of the mass rape of (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan Democracy First Group condemns wave of arbitrary arrests in Sudan 2014-09-25 05:17:35 Sudan Democracy First Group 25 September 2014 - In a desperate attempt to prevent a series of events commemorating the victims of the September 2013 protests, Sudan’s notorious National (...)

HRW calls on UN rights body to press Sudan to investigate murder of peaceful protesters 2014-09-24 21:24:09 Human Rights Watch One Year On, No Justice for Protester Deaths (Geneva, September 23, 2014) – The United Nations Human Rights Council should call on Sudan to account immediately for the death (...)

Hundreds walk for peace in South Sudan 2014-09-23 08:30:16 National Platform for Peace and Reconciliation (NPPR) PRESS RELEASE Juba, 21 September 2014 - Hundreds of people took to the streets of the South Sudan capital Jubato ‘Walk for Peace’and demand (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.