Home | News    Tuesday 29 July 2008

Sudan to request ICJ opinion on UNSC authority to refer case to ICC

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

July 29, 2008 (KHARTOUM) — The Sudanese government will request the opinion of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) on the authority of the UN Security Council (UNSC) to refer cases to the International Criminal Court, an official said.

JPEG - 13.8 kb
Judges at the International Court of Justice, also known as the World Court, in The Hague, the Netherlands (AP)

The head of the legislation committee in the National Assembly Badria Sulieman said that the UNSC cannot ask a state which is not party to the ICC to comply with the world court requests.

The UNSC referred the Darfur case to the ICC in March 31, 2005 based on the recommendations of the International Commission of Inquiry on Darfur formed in 2004.

The ICC’s prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo asked pre-trial judges last week to issue arrest warrants for Al-Bashir.

Ocampo filed 10 charges: three counts of genocide, five of crimes against humanity and two of murder. Judges are expected to take months to study the evidence before deciding whether to order Al-Bashir’s arrest.

The Sudanese official said that the Sudanese president enjoys immunity in accordance with national and international laws and therefore the judges “cannot stop him through the International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL)”.

But the ICC statue states that “official capacity as a Head of State or Government, a member of a Government or parliament, an elected representative or a government official shall in no case exempt a person from criminal responsibility”.

If an arrest warrant is issued all countries which are parties to the ICC have an obligation to apprehend Al-Bashir if he arrives on their territory.

Last week the Senegalese president Abdoulaye Wade told his Sudanese counterpart during a phone conversation that he will not be able to offer him refuge if there is an arrest warrant for him.

Wade speaking from Chicago told Senegal News Agency (APS) that he informed Al-Bashir that they are party to the ICC and they cannot “make an exception”.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 31 July 2008 01:53, by thomas

    It seems Al-bashir’s bed isn’t so comfortable these days, by their actions it seems like they’re losing sleep due to Ocampo seeking his indictment. Despite all their macho posturing about not recognizing the court and so on, they sure have been going on a world begathon for support from anyone who can offer it. That surely doesn’t look like a government (regime is better word) that could care less what Ocampo does. The fact of the matter is Al-Bashir and his cronies can engage in all the mass delusion about international conspiracy that they want, as the Indians say- Satyameva Jayate! Truth Alone triumphs. We know what you did, you are murderers. Guns and oil and the Chinese and Russians can protect you maybe, but you can’t hide from God, the Truth, and yourself. Have a good night! haha.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


IGAD: Artificial solution on South Sudan conflict 2015-01-30 19:33:13 By James Gatdet Dak On Thursday, 29th of January, 2015, heads of state and government of the African regional bloc, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), served the warring (...)

Arms transfers to South Sudan ensure a violent future for a people desperate for peace 2015-01-28 14:06:46 By Geoffrey L. Duke Peace advocates around the world were shocked by news of China’s shipment of arms to the Government of South Sudan in June 2014. The shipment reportedly included $38 million (...)

A reading of the Arusha intra-SPLM agreement 2015-01-28 09:39:38 By: Dr Lam Akol On the 21st of January 2015, the three factions of the SPLM (now calling themselves ‘Groups’) inked in Arusha, Tanzania, an agreement dubbed “Agreement on the Reunification of the (...)


MORE








Latest Press Releases


Sudan’s Security Services raid and order closure of Mahmoud Mohamed Taha Cultural Centre 2015-01-24 03:41:41 African Centre for Justice and Peace Studies (23 January 2015) At 11am on 18 January, the National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) of Omdurman, Khartoum state, raided the Mahmoud (...)

Women groups announce their support for Sudan Call 2015-01-17 08:34:07 Position Statement from the Women’s Political Forces and Civil Society organizations and Groups on the Sudan Call To the People of Sudan We, the undersigned women, are fully motivated by our (...)

Norway grants US $1.9 million for humanitarian needs in Darfur 2014-12-16 06:47:08 The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) - KHARTOUM Norway helps provide nutritious food to malnourished families in Sudan 14 December 2014 KHARTOUM – The United Nations World Food Programme (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2015 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.