Home | News    Sunday 27 July 2008

Sudan will not expel Darfur peacekeeping force - official

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

July 26, 2008 (KHARTOUM) — Sudanese government today denied vigorously any trend to expel the United Nations-African Union Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) from the troubled region.

Yesterday the Presidential Adviser, Bona Malwal, told reporters in the Ethiopian capital that Sudan is not responsible of the security of Darfur peacekeepers if President Omer al-Bashir is indicted by the international judges. He further added "After that we may ask them to withdraw from our territory."

The undersecretary at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Saturday evening, Mutrif Sidiq, told al-Jazeera TV that Sudan has no intention to expel the peacekeeping mission from Darfur because they not involved in the ICC accusation of the Sudanese president.

He further said that they are mainly African and not international troops. Sudan "worked for long time to have these African troops. They are not U.N. forces," he added.

The Sudanese official, who is in charge of the file of UNAMID, also reiterated the commitment of his government to protect the Hybrid Mission.

"The visit of the president Omer Hassan al-Bashir, to the UNAMID headquarters in Darfur State proves that the government appreciated the efforts being made by the peacekeeping forces and gave important indication that there were no trend to expel them" Sidiq said.

While he was touring Darfur on Wednesday 24 July, Omer al-Bashir visited the UNAMID headquarters and expressed his condolences over the death of seven peacekeepers that were killed in an ambush earlier this month in North Darfur. He also pledged to provide security to the peacekeepers.

The United Nations and African Union aim to have some 26,000 peacekeepers in Darfur, but only 9,000 are on the ground. However, Egyptian troops started to arrive in Darfur while Ethiopian peacekeepers are also expected in the coming days.

The Sudanese government is asking African Union, Arab Union and other regional organisations to block the indictment by the International Criminal Court of president al-Bashir through the U.N. Security Council which has the possibility to suspend the investigation and the prosecution against him.

In this regard, Khartoum intends to not hinder these efforts.

Different diplomats say Sudan has to cooperate with the international community in the deployment of the hybrid force, and the settlement of Darfur conflict before such move.

The ICC’s prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo asked pre-trial judges lon Monday 14 July to issue arrest warrants for Sudanese president Omar Hassan Al-Bashir.

Ocampo filed 10 charges: three counts of genocide, five of crimes against humanity and two of murder. Judges are expected to take months to study the evidence before deciding whether to order Al-Bashir’s arrest.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 28 July 2008 10:11, by Ezibon Kenyi Morbe

    I think people like Bona should also not be messing up themselves.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


The Perils of Managing Transition: Will Sudanese Kandakas be the option? 2019-05-21 04:45:56 By Luka Kuol, PhD Global Fellow at Peace Research Institute Oslo, Associate Professor at University of Juba and Fellow at Rift Valley Institute Since the eruption of the Sudanese popular (...)

Justices delay is justices denied 2019-05-21 04:40:18 By Wesley Kosa The Khartoum Peace Agreement was the result of the political manipulation by the governments of South Sudan, Uganda and Sudan. There were no extensive discussions and mediation (...)

The fear of political reforms in South Sudan 2019-05-19 02:16:35 By Duop Chak Wuol In his Easter message, President Salva Kiir called on the leader of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-In Opposition (SPLM-IO), Dr Riek Machar, to go to Juba to form a (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)

Joseph Malwal Dong joined the SPLM/A -IO 2019-04-02 08:35:02 SPLM/A (IO) Press Release 1/4/2019 On Hon. Joseph Malwal Dong Joined the SPLM/A (IO) The leadership of the SPLM/A (IO) would like to seize this precious opportunity to announce to members and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.