Home | News    Friday 18 July 2008

ICC prosecutor to investigate Darfur rebels crimes

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

July 17, 2008 (UNITED NATIONS) – The already branded as public enemy in Khartoum, Luis Moreno-Ocampo, the Chief Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court said his third case will be against Darfur rebels who commit war crimes.

JPEG - 5.9 kb
The International Criminal Court’s prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo reacts during a press conference in The Hague, Netherlands, Tuesday Feb. 27, 2007 (AP)

Speaking from New York where he attended the ceremonies marking the court’s 10-year anniversary, Ocampo said Thursday he is investigating on violence against peacekeepers in Sudan’s troubled Darfur region, including a Sept. 29 attack on the Haskanita military base that left 10 African Union soldiers dead and 1 missing.

"I am focusing my efforts in the third case with the rebels attacking Haskanita," he said. "We have information about the names of two commanders who were allegedly responsible for this."

The prosecutor cautioned Sudanese rebels against carrying out attacks like the one he suspects them of orchestrating on the strategically important AU base, which is about 12 miles (19 kilometers) from the boundary between Darfur and the neighboring region of Kordofan.

"We have to prove the case," he added. "I like to use this meeting to call on the rebels to provide evidence and ...stop any crime."

The Darfur rebels have been trying to link up with new rebel groups in Kordofan, where there are large fields of Sudan’s proven oil reserves.

"The rebels cannot commit crimes. They have to control their people," Moreno-Ocampo said. "And they have to help the court ... to provide evidence against those who commit the attacks in Haskanita, and even arrest them. So I think it’s the time now for the case of the rebels."

Vehicles marked with the initials of the rebel Justice and Equality Movement took part in the attack in which 12 peacekeepers were killed.

ICC chief prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo has accused Sudanese President Omar Hassan al-Bashir of a campaign of genocide that killed 35,000 people outright, at least another 100,000 through a "slow death" and forced 2.5 million to flee their homes in Sudan’s western Darfur region.

He asked the ICC on Monday to issue an arrest warrant for Bashir on suspicion of genocide and crimes against humanity. Sudan has dismissed Moreno-Ocampo’s accusations as politically motivated.

ICC judges are expected to make a decision on whether to issue a warrant for Bashir’s arrest in October or November.

NO POLITICAL MOTIVATIONS

Moreno-Ocampo denied Khartoum’s allegations that his request for the arrest of Sudan’s president for genocide and crimes against humanity was politically motivated.

"My responsibility is to investigate cases, to present evidence to the judges," Moreno-Ocampo told reporters. "I have no political responsibility."

Several Western diplomats on the council have said Bashir could escape indictment if he ended what they see as impunity for two men the ICC charged last year over Darfur. Khartoum has not handed them to the court or started legal proceedings in Sudan to investigate the allegations.

Asked if this was the case, Moreno-Ocampo responded that would be up to the court’s judges.

The prosecutor gave few clues about his evidence but said Bashir made what amounts to "a public confession" of orchestrating genocide last year when the Sudanese president said that "he would never hand over Harun, because Harun was following his instructions."

Speaking to reporters after Moreno-Ocampo’s news conference, Abdalhaleem gave no details about how Khartoum might react if the ICC issued an arrest warrant for Bashir but hinted that something big could happen.

"It’s a recipe for disaster," he said. "It is a collective responsibility of the council to move together to halt it. Otherwise it is an invitation for a gate of fire on the country."

(ST)

(Material for this news paper are provided b the AP, AFP and Reuters)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 19 July 2008 00:28, by samuel nyok kuat kur

    July 2008 00:27, by samuel nyok kuat kur

    kuat kur

    I wish Bashir could go to the hell soon, he created what was called the key for entering heaven with his Mr. Evil Abdllha El Turabi.

    I think northerners have right for crying for their president, who do they considered as the hero, due for killing innocent people in south, is it was the holy thing he was doing.

    Now i see, i hear Mr. south president is saying that, Bashir Accusation could endanger the peace, lets the dumb peace go to the hell, if it is just related to Omar El-Bashir the criminal.

    I couldn’t agree with Mr. Salva, because they recently killed our people in Abie is it not a violating human right rules.

    And who was responsible for that is it not the same Omar Bashir?

    Omar should go to the hell!

    repondre message

  • 19 July 2008 03:25, by Baggaran

    Abdalhaleem’s statement shows how weak and purposeless the Khartoum regime is. He hints at unidentified disasters if the indictment goes ahead.

    But there is no word from him about how the Sudan government would bring peace, or what it would do to bring peace or how it has consistently obstructed and restricted the deployment of peacekeepers and the operations of humanitarian aid agencies.

    The indictment comes about because of systematic murder, torture and rape that has been favored at the highest levels.

    The prosecutor’s brief was to look at crimes perpetrated by both the government and the rebels. He is doing his job properly. A government’s job is to protect its citizens....

    Government backed militias are widely suspected of carrying out the attack against AU peacekeepers on July 8. 300,000 people died violently and no-one found to be responsible? Where is the smoking gun?

    Khartoum has resisted the deployment of peacekeepers in enough numbers to be effective.

    HOW WOULD THE SITUATION GET WORSE IF BASHR, TAHA and NAFIE WERE REPLACED?

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


What if Dr. John Garang were alive today? 2019-12-05 08:21:57 By Nhial T. Tutlam Let’s imagine that on the fateful day of July 30, 2005 the helicopter carrying Dr. John Garang from Uganda back to his base in Southern Sudan arrived safely. Let’s further (...)

The cries of South Sudanese women in Australia 2019-12-04 07:13:57 Biong Deng Biong Amidst Melbourne’s African youth crime saga and its associated political chaos, a quiet cohort watch events unfold, weary and grim-faced. They are the struggling mothers of the (...)

South Sudan’s Security Arrangements: flawed rhetoric vs real practice 2019-12-02 06:41:06 By Steve Paterno Some compatriot South Sudanese wrote on his Facebook status, jokingly by urging people to flock to cantonment sites in big number to fulfil the required 83,0000, a threshold the (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.