Home | News    Thursday 12 June 2008

Sudan wants the ICC prosecutor replaced

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

June 11, 2008 (NEW YORK) – A senior Sudanese diplomat lashed out at the prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) Luis Moreno-Ocampo and called for his replacement.

JPEG - 8.9 kb
International Criminal Court prosecutor (ICC) Luis Moreno-Ocampo

Sudan’s U.N. ambassador Abdel-Mahmood Mohamed speaking to Reuters today described Ocampo as a “terrorist”.

Mohamed was responding to reports that the ICC attempted to divert a plane carrying a Sudanese minister accused of masterminding war crimes in Darfur.

Last week the ICC prosecutor told Sudan Tribune that the world court attempted to divert a plane that carried Ahmed Haroun, state minister for humanitarian affairs, on his way to Saudi Arabia in December to perform the annual Islamic pilgrimage.

The plan was coordinated with a number of unidentified countries. The Saudi government was made aware of it, according to Ocampo. Haroun ended up cancelling his travel plans after being tipped

The Sudanese envoy condemned the plan using harsh language.

“This is an act of terrorism…..It is piracy. Ocampo is a terrorist and he should be removed from the post" he said.

Mohamed also expressed fury over the countries that assisted the ICC with its plan.

“We are considering tough measures against this man. He should be removed without further delay," he said, adding that Ocampo and his plan should be condemned by the international community.

Yesterday the Sudanese president Omer Hassan al-Bashir echoed the same views on the ICC.

“We view the ICC as a first class terrorist organization” al-Bashir told Al-Sa’aa” Egyptian TV in an interview.

The judges of the ICC issued their first arrest warrants for suspects accused of war crimes in Sudan’s Darfur region a year ago.

The warrants were issued for Ahmed Haroun, state minister for humanitarian affairs, and militia commander Ali Mohamed Ali Abdel-Rahman, also know as Ali Kushayb. Sudan has so far rejected handing over the two suspects.

Ocampo delivered his semi-annual report to the UN Security Council (UNSC) yesterday in which he provided information on his current investigations into the ongoing attacks against civilians in the war ravaged region.

The ICC prosecutor announced that he intends to charge Sudanese officials with war crimes next month.

Costa Rica, a non-permanent UNSC member, circulated a draft presidential statement calling on Sudan to cooperate with the ICC. It is not clear if the statement will gain unanimous approval required for adoption from council members.

There have also been reports that the statement may be tabled as a resolution since Russia, China, Libya and Indonesia raised objections to a weakened presidential statement.

But the Sudanese envoy slammed the draft statement last week and described Costa Rica as a “banana republic” during the UNSC visit to Khartoum.

The Inner City Press website said Panama’s Ambassador touring with the UNSC delegation responded by saying “at least we are a republic”.

Costa Rica’s U.N. Ambassador Jorge Urbina declined to comment on the Sudanese envoy’s remark. U.S. envoy Alejandro Wolff told reporters "it shows what little respect for the Security Council" Sudan has.

Sudan has not ratified the Rome Statue, but the UN Security Council (UNSC) invoked the provisions under the Statue that enables it to refer situations in non-State parties to the world court if it deems that it is a threat to international peace and security.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 12 June 2008 09:51, by budi 23rd journalist

    i sympathise with those Khartoum unrealistic echoes, who are they to lashed Ocampo, what massacre has the ICC undertook, bashir should think twice.

    Budi23rd

    View online : sudan wants the ICC prosecuter replaced

    repondre message

    • 12 June 2008 10:19, by Mr Point

      Add him to the list of persons banned by Bashir.

      Jan Pronk (observer of the CPA)

      Roger Winter (writes about Abyei)

      Banned because they speak the truth.

      repondre message

  • 12 June 2008 10:24, by joseph

    The Genocide in Darfur, ICC UN ambassador Abdel-Mahmood Responds.
    The respond of Mahmood is not realistic and i donot know why Mr. Mohmood is saying this ugly wards as if he is not a sudanese. In reality the Genocide that is taking place in Darfur should not be defended. The two guys Ahmed Haroun and Ali Kushayb must to be handed to Icc becouse their are Criminals.What they do in Darfur should not be defended at all.

    Who is Mohmood to tell the world to change Ocampo?. Ocampo is a real freind to our Darfur People.He stands with the oppress people of the world.

    I request the ICC to take Mahmood to ICC becouse he seem to be one of those who have contributed for Genocide in Darfur and Abyei.

    What the Bashir Gengwit are doing in Darfur show that such peole are not Muslim becouse Islam does not allow such Crime to be committed by Muslim Person.

    Please, Please ICC save the People of Darfur and the People of Sudan in generalfrom this People.

    Ocampo can not be change and the Two most wanted criminals should be handed over to ICC to face Justices.

    Long live Ocampo
    Long live ICC
    Long Live people of Darfur.

    Joseph

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Who was behind the killing of civilians in Bor? 2014-04-22 06:50:43 By Peter Gai Manyuon "A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death", from unknown author. (...)

Embracing victimhood to celebrate victimisation 2014-04-22 06:28:12 By Juliana Bol April 21, 2014 - It was a bit disturbing to hear news of our citizens in the IDP camps (where they are seeking protection and shelter) celebrating the recapture of Bentiu -in (...)

South Sudan: Revenge Killings is not the basis for building a modern nation 2014-04-21 05:39:31 By Steve Paterno April 20, 2014 - The theme of this article develops as a result of my extensive research and writings on a culture of revenge killings among South Sudanese communities, (...)


MORE




VIDEOS



Latest Press Releases


Sudan: No justice for protest killings 2014-04-23 21:06:10 Human Rights WatchRelease Detainees and Punish Abusive Forces (Nairobi, April 21, 2014) – Sudanese authorities have failed to provide justice for scores of civilians killed in anti-government (...)

SDFG mourn the loss of a Sudanese activist 2014-04-20 09:02:39 The Sudan Democracy First Group mourns the loss of Osman Hummaida, a towering figure of the human rights movement in Sudan, and a tireless campaigner for democracy and peace in the country. Osman (...)

UNICEF supports emergency response for children in Sudan with 89 tons of life-saving supplies 2014-04-19 09:47:06 Khartoum, 18 April 2014 --- Today in Khartoum airport, UNICEF received 89 tons of life-saving supplies to support the humanitarian response to children affected by emergencies in various hot (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.