Home | News    Saturday 7 June 2008

Kidnapped Indian oil worker escapes in Sudan

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

June 6, 2008 (KHARTOUM) — An Indian oil worker escaped from his Sudanese kidnappers and was rescued after three days walking through open scrubland, his employer said on Thursday.

Sudanese rescue teams are using helicopters to search for another Indian man who escaped at the same time. Two more Indians and their Sudanese driver are thought to be still in captivity, said Mohamed Arif Khan, head of Petro Energy Contracting Services.

"We are all very worried, particularly for the second man who escaped," Khan told Reuters.

The four Indians and their driver were seized in mid-May between the Neem and Heglig oil fields in South Kordofan, a region that borders Darfur, diplomatic sources said at the time.

Khan said the escaped worker had told him the captors appeared to be disaffected locals.

"They are involved in a local dispute...They are not a political group. They are not an organised group."

The two men, both in their 30s, escaped on Saturday night.

One of them decided to go into a forest to look for water and did not return, said Khan, chief executive of the Indian-Sudanese company that has worked in South Kordofan for eight years.

The second man, from Mumbai, spent three days walking though the remote area before a passing security patrol found him on the side of a road on Wednesday, Khan said.

"He ate fruit and drank water from a river. He was in a very good condition. Nothing fearful was done to him. He just told me that he was very tired and wanted to sleep," said Khan.

India’s ambassador Deepak Vohra told Reuters the four had been doing contract work for the Greater Nile Petroleum Operation Company, a consortium led by China’s CNPC, India’s ONGC, Malaysia’s Petronas and Sudan’s state-owned Sudapet.

(Reuters)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 7 June 2008 18:33, by Bhaskar Chakravorti

    The whole Indian community is deeply anguished by this incident.Please let us know the name of the Indian national who escaped and got lost in the forest?How long will the other two Indian nationals be held captive? 25 days are over.

    repondre message

  • 7 June 2008 20:14, by Maganydam

    Hi-Government

    All these Indians are source of calamaties as they did in Uganda by bribing Yoweri Museven with thousands of dollars to sell Mabira Forest to them.

    Maintaining them in Sudan is like keeping Terrorists as found to be escalators of even war in Darfur for Sudan Government is using all the outcasts as weapons of war, throwing them into Red Sea or deporting them is the best solution before the would make Sudan to be Ghost Country of idols and Dragons.
    Thanks

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


“The Nile: Shared River, Collective Action” 2018-02-22 08:06:26 By Dr. Eng. Seleshi Bekele Ethiopia is hosting the 2018 Regional Nile Day Celebration in commemoration of the establishment of the Nile Basin Initiative (NBI) on February 22, 1999 in Dar es (...)

James Dak’s case:: Why death sentence should be canceled 2018-02-19 14:27:34 By Peter Gai Manyuon On Monday 12th of February 2018, a South Sudan court in Juba sentenced James Gatdet Dak to death by hanging, citing several provisions in the constitution as the basis upon (...)

The Position of the SPLM-N on Relief Delivery Same Wine, Old Bottles! 2018-02-18 06:50:42 By Elwathig Kameir On January 19, 2017, I published an article titled “Armed Struggle and Civil Resistance in Sudan: Catch 22,” from which I quote the following opening paragraphs (from i to iii): (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Petition for release of Agou John Wuoi from prison 2018-02-15 20:45:31 Open letter to South Sudan President Salva Kiir Your Excellency, Kindly please permit me to take this rare opportunity to appreciate you for every effort you have made toward making South Sudan (...)

AUHIP Communiqué on Sudan & SPLM-N talks for cessation of hostilities agreement 2018-02-05 13:04:16 African Union High-Level Implementation Panel for Sudan and South Sudan Joint Statement on Unilateral Ceasefire, Cessation of Hostilities and Completion of Negotiations 1) With the facilitation (...)

South Sudanese rights group call to release political detainees 2017-12-10 07:50:31 THE INTERNATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS DAY: 10 DECEMBER 2017: SSHURSA CALLS ON ALL TO ACTION FOR SOUTH SUDANESE The 10 December usually marks the international human rights day. SSHURSA notes with (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2018 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.