Home | News    Friday 18 April 2008

Diplomats prepare for more Ugandan peace talks

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

April 17, 2008 (JUBA) — Ugandan rebel leader Joseph Kony stood up a group of international negotiators who had spent $10 million and flown to his jungle hideout last week to sign a peace deal.

Officials said Thursday negotiators would try to restart talks April 26. They plan to travel yet again to the remote spot on the Congo-Sudan border, hoping that Kony, the leader of the rebel Lord’s Resistance Army, will put in an appearance.

"A great deal has been invested in this process," explained David Gressly, a senior U.N. official in southern Sudan, where the rebel group had many bases. "In that sense of course this remains a disappointment. It hasn’t been concluded but it’s not over at this point."

He was among the dozens of diplomats and negotiators who expected Kony to sign a deal last Thursday, ending 22 years of conflict. Diplomats camped in the mosquito-infested bush for three days.

Officials gave conflicting reasons for the no-show. The chief mediator and vice president of southern Sudan said Kony sought clarification on clauses dealing with justice for the rebels - five of whom have been indicted for war crimes by the International Criminal Court.

But David Matsanga, who until that Thursday had been the rebel group’s chief negotiator, said he hadn’t spoken to Kony in four days and didn’t know if he was even near Ri-Kwangba, the venue planned for the ceremony.

"This delay and firing of Matsanga clearly bodes poorly for the peace process," said Peter Quaranto of the Washington-based advocacy group Resolve Uganda. "We’re still hopeful that continued dialogue and creative inducements may yet get Kony to sign the agreement."

But advocacy workers warned that the Lord’s Resistance Army negotiators - largely composed of members of the Ugandan Diaspora rather than bush fighters - may have acted without Kony’s approval in signing a string of agreements in recent months, including one dealing with accountability for war crimes.

At the height of the conflict between the Lord’s Resistance Army and the Uganda government - whose forces are also accused of gross human rights violations - almost two million people across northern Uganda fled their homes.

A cease-fire since the beginning of peace talks allowed many to return, but doubts remain as to whether the conflict has finally ended.

As part of the final deal, the Uganda government has agreed to ask the International Criminal Court to withdraw the indictments. Under an agreement signed last month, those charged with serious crimes would be tried in a special division to be set up within Uganda’s High Court system. Those accused of lesser crimes would be judged according to northern Uganda’s traditional justice system, known as Mato Oput, which human rights workers say is insufficiently punitive.

Fearing arrest, Kony has remained in hiding since 2006. His representatives say his group won’t disarm until the warrants are lifted.

(AFP)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


National dialogue building nation 2017-05-22 21:10:41 By Amb. Dhano Obongo Initially, I congratulate and commend H.E the President of the Republic of South Sudan, Gen. Salva Kiir Mayardit, for recognising the need for a national dialogue among 64 (...)

The raging just revolution in Darfur will continue burning until victory 2017-05-22 21:04:22 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman Author Mahmoud Yusuf says that we live in a historical stage full of serious events that will affect the future of mankind on this planet, including what is related to (...)

South Sudan: How culture of revenge inhibits development and progress 2017-05-13 08:09:39 By Steve Paterno Admittedly, revenge or the act of it is inherently human in nature. The human beings since biblical times could not dissuade from the proverbial practice of an 'eye for an eye.' (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


HRW denounces "collective punishment" in South Sudan’s Wau 2017-04-15 07:06:48 Human Right Watch South Sudan: New Spate of Ethnic Killings Urgent Need for Justice; UN Should Increase Patrols in Wau (Nairobi, April 14, 2017) – Government soldiers and allied militias (...)

Statement by South Sudanese Communist Party on the National Dialoguel 2017-03-22 05:44:42 The Communist Party of South Sudan On the Initiative of the National Dialogue The initiative taken by the President of the Republic of South Sudan declaring a need for a national dialogue is an (...)

An Appeal to President of the Republic of South Sudan 2017-03-15 07:22:45 Dear. Mr. President, I write to appeal to you for the release of political detainees now in the custody of the National Security Service at Jebel and other detention facilities. In doing this, I (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2017 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.