Home | News    Monday 25 February 2008

Sudan army technical failure caused helicopter crash in Darfur, rebels say shot down

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

February 24, 2008 (PARIS) — The two Darfur main rebel movements said they shot down a helicopter in Jebel Moun, West Darfur, following an attack by the Sudanese army and the Janjaweed militia, but the Sudanese army denied the rebel claim saying it was a technical failure.

Suleiman Sanal Hagar, a rebel commander in Jebel Moun area from the Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) on Sunday told Sudan Tribune by satellite telephone from western Darfur that they downed a helicopter gunship in Kondifay, 15 kilometres northern of El-Geinana.

Soon after, Abbas Mohamed Offail, the Sudan Liberation Army commander in the Jebel Moun area informed Sudan Tribune from Darfur saying they downed the military helicopter of the Sudanese army in the area. He added that two helicopters and two Antonov attacked their position during the day since 10 o’clock in the morning.

A military analyst who requested not to be named indicated that the two movements have troops in Jebel Moun, the SLA in the west while the JEM in the east. He further indicated that the Sudanese planes do not distinguish between them and both open fir on the assailant aircrafts.

However in spite of the rebel’s affirmation, the Sudanese army spokesman said today that a helicopter crashed following a technical failure and all the crew was accounted for.

The Sudanese army spokesperson, Osman Al-Aghbash, in his short statement, didn’t elaborate on the cause of the technical malfunction.

Last week the Sudanese army said cleansed Jebel Moun from the rebel presence and the rebel groups said also controlling the area.

Rebel sources said the Sudanese army is keen to secure supplies to a big military base in Kulbus area.

But the Sudan Armed Forces justified its military action last week in the area saying that rebel JEM had cut the road between Kulbus and El-Geneina and deprived the civil population in the area "of the most basic necessities of life, forcing the government often delivering food by air."

The rebels also accuse the government of important military build up in Jebel Moun.

Rebel sources claimed that a military convoy — of 125 pickup truck and 120 big transport vehicles with tanks and heavy artillery – moved from the capital of North Darfur Al-Fasher since two days to the Jebel Moun.

UN CONDEMNATION

Head of the African Union-United Nations peacekeeping mission, Rodolphe Adada, and Ameerah Haq, the UN humanitarian coordinator in Sudan, issued a joint statement voicing grave concern and calling for access to civilians at risk.

"UNAMID has received reports this morning of aerial bombings in the Jebel Moon area of western Darfur. We’re gravely concerned for the safety of thousands of civilians who are in this area," they said.

"As of this morning, we received an assurance from the Government that civilians will be allowed out of the area and to safety. We are seeking the same assurances from the rebel Movements in the area." The statement underlined.

"Any firing must stop immediately. The risks at this stage to civilians are unacceptably high... We’re seeking humanitarian access," the statement said.

The UN refugee agency UNHCR, has said that two days of heavy bombardments and attacks by the Sudanese army and Janjaweed militia earlier this month in western Darfur prompted about 12,000 more refugees to flee into eastern Chad.

The Darfur conflict marks a grim five-year anniversary on Tuesday with peace talks in tatters, the joint UN-African Union peacekeeping mission running drastically below capacity and 4.2 million people living on aid handouts.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 25 February 2008 07:52, by Thon Raan

    Well done Heroes. You shot down helicopter? that’s fine but try to protect civilian from brutile soldiers of SAF.

    Your color is black and your heart is white. Shot as many as 100 in one day. We are behind you both verbally and practically.

    Thon Raan

    repondre message

    • 25 February 2008 11:13, by Mark Omina

      Millions of Congratulations to the gallant forces of JEM, the downing of the government helipcopter is an achievement and success of your operations against the imperialist and opressors.

      Let the struggle continue until the rights of your people is achieved, many battles have been fought in Sudan against the same regime in Khartoum and peace is restored. No one will fight for you, the UN and the AU have been talking, talking, talking and talking but nothing has been done and the people of Darfur continue to die while the UN and AU forces are on ground.

      Intervention to stop the ordeal in Darfur verbally is possible which can never be helpful to the people of Darfur, but we need practical action taken to rescue more lives. The government in Khartoum is not ready as usual for any peaceful settlement to end suffering in Darfur, instead intensifying their air raid to inflict more suffering while the whole world watch.

      repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


The fear of political reforms in South Sudan 2019-05-19 02:16:35 By Duop Chak Wuol In his Easter message, President Salva Kiir called on the leader of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-In Opposition (SPLM-IO), Dr Riek Machar, to go to Juba to form a (...)

South Sudan: If only Pope Francis Knew… 2019-05-16 09:10:31 South Sudan: If only Pope Francis Knew… By Wesley Kosa On April, Pope Francis invited the South Sudanese parties for a spiritual retreat, to narrow the gap between them as they get closer to the (...)

Riek Machar has some questions to answer 2019-05-13 12:23:43 By Gordon Buay The Chairman of the SPLM/A-IO, Mr Riek Machar, has some questions to answer why members of his Movement are the organizers of the Facebook Red Card Movement. We thought that the (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)

Joseph Malwal Dong joined the SPLM/A -IO 2019-04-02 08:35:02 SPLM/A (IO) Press Release 1/4/2019 On Hon. Joseph Malwal Dong Joined the SPLM/A (IO) The leadership of the SPLM/A (IO) would like to seize this precious opportunity to announce to members and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.