Home | News    Friday 14 December 2007

Two Sudanese return from Guantanamo after five years

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

December 13, 2007 (KHARTOUM) — Two Sudanese released from the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay after nearly five years returned home Thursday, complaining of their treatment and expressing fears over the health of a fellow Sudanese prisoner - a journalist for Al-Jazeera TV - who is on hunger strike.

JPEG - 8.5 kb
Former Guantanamo detainees from Sudan Adel Hassan Hamad (R) and Salim Mahmoud Mohamed pose for a photograph upon their arrival in Khartoum, December 13, 2007, after their release from an American military facility at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba. (Reuters)

Salim Mahmoud Adam, 49, and Adel Hassan Hamad, 49, were seized in 2002 from their homes in Peshawar, Pakistan, by Pakistani troops and were eventually taken to Guantanamo.

Hamad had been working for an Islamic charity organization managing a hospital in Afghanistan and distributing medicines. Adam was a school organizer for a separate charity group.

Hamad said the conditions at Guantanamo were "very bad," but did not elaborate. He accused U.S. authorities there of mistreating prisoners who stage protests or hunger strikes.

"Hunger strikes and protests result in mistreatment" he told journalists at a press conference alongside Adam in Khartoum, hours after their return early in the morning.

Hamad said the condition of Sami al-Hajj, a Sudanese cameraman for Al-Jazeera who has been on hunger strike in Guantanamo for nearly a year, was "very bad indeed." Al-Hajj suffers from back and knee problems and kidney ailments, he said.

Earlier this month, al-Hajj’s lawyers said he had kidney problems and may have cancer, warning that his physical and mental health have deteriorated. Al-Hajj, 38, has been in Guantanamo since June 2002.

Adam and Hamad were released Wednesday along with a group of 13 Afghans. The U.S. has now transferred about 485 prisoners to their native countries, where most have been subsequently released.

There are now about 290 men held at Guantanamo, most of them without charge. Seven Sudanese, including al-Hajj, are still in detention there.

U.S. authorities have said they plan to prosecute about 80 in military tribunals at the Navy base in southeast Cuba. Military officials have said they are in negotiations with countries to accept dozens of prisoners who have been cleared for transfer by review panels.

(AP)

Below, a link to the story of one of the two released Sudanese, Adel Hassan Hamad, a hospital worker, whose captivity at Guantanamo spawned a cyberspace campaign and support from television’s West Wing president. The Portland, Ore., public defender’s office turned the case of Adel, 49, into a global cause célèbre by posting what they called the first-ever video habeas corpus petition on YouTube, the Internet video site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5E3w7ME6Fs

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Sudan’s Uprising: Dealings with remnants of al-Bashir 2019-04-16 21:14:38 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman From the outset, the people of Sudan who have been demonstrating in their glorious popular rebellion for over four months categorically reject the Reproduction or (...)

Sudan’s third civilian uprising and the fourth military coup i 2019-04-16 13:12:52 The third civilian uprising and the fourth military coup in Sudan history ended up with the downfall of Omar Hassan El Bashir after nearly 30 years in power. By Lul Gatkuoth Gatluak The news (...)

Sudan after ousting President al-Bashir: A coup or popular uprising? 2019-04-14 23:29:07 By Beny Gideon, Esq This policy brief is an analysis of the violent protest motivated by different actors against Sudan’s government which has successfully led to the ousting of President Omer (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)

Joseph Malwal Dong joined the SPLM/A -IO 2019-04-02 08:35:02 SPLM/A (IO) Press Release 1/4/2019 On Hon. Joseph Malwal Dong Joined the SPLM/A (IO) The leadership of the SPLM/A (IO) would like to seize this precious opportunity to announce to members and (...)

Sudan Protests: Investigate the custodial death of three University students 2019-03-13 12:53:14 The African Centre for Justice and Peace Studies (ACJPS) Sudan Protests: Urgent call for investigations into the custodial death of three University students and alleged torture of detainees by (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.