Home | News    Sunday 29 July 2007

Sudan officially rejects revised UN text on Darfur force

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

By: Wasil Ali

July 28, 2007 (KHARTOUM) — The Sudanese government officially informed members of the UN Security Council that it rejected any reference to Chapter Seven in a resolution for the Darfur peacekeeping force.

JPEG - 6.1 kb
Mustafa Ismail

An unidentified Sudanese official speaking to Al-Hayat newspaper published in London said that his government rejects any mandate for the peacekeepers enabling it to use force in the areas they are deployed.

The U.K. and France dropped a threat of sanctions against Sudan in the revised U.N. Security Council (UNSC) resolution that would authorize an expanded peacekeeping force in Darfur.

The Sudanese government main objection is the mandate allowing the force to “use all necessary means” to protect civilians. Khartoum also rejects any resolution under Chapter VII of the UN charter

Earlier Sudan’s presidential adviser Mustafa Osman Ismail told BBC Arabic service that the revised UN text is a replication of resolution 1706 issued last year and was rejected by Khartoum.

Ismail said that Sudan wants to limit the mandate of the peacekeeping force to protect its own members. He accused US and Britain of attempting to escalate the Darfur issue to cover up for their mistakes in Iraq.

Diplomats told AFP China, Qatar and Indonesia were pushing for softer language on the use of Chapter Seven.

However the African bloc support the inclusion of Chapter Seven to protect their troops should they decide to send forces to Darfur.

The Darfur conflict began in 2003 when an ethnic minority rose up against the Arab-dominated government in Khartoum, which then enlisted the Janjaweed militia group to help crush the rebellion.

According to UN estimates, at least 200,000 people have died from the combined effect of war and famine since the conflict started in February 2003. But Khartoum disputes the figures.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 29 July 2007 09:05, by Deng

    When a mother told his baby go an sleeps, sometime baby do refused but if he or she is told go! go!,go now then he or she goes directly without waiting for another words from the mother. Mustafa Ismeal and El Bashir are like babies they will accept it at last without waiting for another call from UN if times came this is too early if they like or not.

    you can’t stops baby from getting razer blade but if the blade cuts her hand then she will not take again. Sudan Government are refusing to accepted what they will admitted or accept in near future.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


A shattered hope: Revisiting the horrors of Juba’s massacre 2018-02-24 19:52:46 By Duop Chak Wuol Sometimes it is better to immerse yourself in other’s experiences to get an understanding of your own imagination. It is not rational to conclude that what you imagine is (...)

“The Nile: Shared River, Collective Action” 2018-02-22 08:06:26 By Dr. Eng. Seleshi Bekele Ethiopia is hosting the 2018 Regional Nile Day Celebration in commemoration of the establishment of the Nile Basin Initiative (NBI) on February 22, 1999 in Dar es (...)

James Dak’s case:: Why death sentence should be canceled 2018-02-19 14:27:34 By Peter Gai Manyuon On Monday 12th of February 2018, a South Sudan court in Juba sentenced James Gatdet Dak to death by hanging, citing several provisions in the constitution as the basis upon (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Petition for release of Agou John Wuoi from prison 2018-02-15 20:45:31 Open letter to South Sudan President Salva Kiir Your Excellency, Kindly please permit me to take this rare opportunity to appreciate you for every effort you have made toward making South Sudan (...)

AUHIP Communiqué on Sudan & SPLM-N talks for cessation of hostilities agreement 2018-02-05 13:04:16 African Union High-Level Implementation Panel for Sudan and South Sudan Joint Statement on Unilateral Ceasefire, Cessation of Hostilities and Completion of Negotiations 1) With the facilitation (...)

South Sudanese rights group call to release political detainees 2017-12-10 07:50:31 THE INTERNATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS DAY: 10 DECEMBER 2017: SSHURSA CALLS ON ALL TO ACTION FOR SOUTH SUDANESE The 10 December usually marks the international human rights day. SSHURSA notes with (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2018 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.