Home | News    Tuesday 12 September 2006

Sudan’s Dafur military action illegal - Annan

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

Sept 11, 2006 (UNITED NATIONS) — U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan on Monday warned Sudan its military bombardment and troop deployment in the Darfur region was illegal and predicted further disasters unless U.N. troops were deployed.

JPEG - 8.2 kb
Kofi Annan

But Sudan’s envoy, in a U.N. Security Council debate, defended Khartoum’s action as part of a peace deal. And Khartoum’s allies from the Arab League and the Islamic Conference refrained from endorsing a U.N. force.

Annan, in a blunt speech, evoked the 1994 genocide in Rwanda by asking, "Can the international community, having not done enough for the people of Rwanda in their time of need, just watch as this tragedy deepens?

"This is no time for the middle ground of half-measures or further debate," he told the council.

Annan said thousands of Sudanese troops had been deployed in Darfur, in "clear violation" of a peace agreement signed by the government and one rebel group in May.

"Even worse, the area has been subjected to renewed aerial bombing," he said, "I strongly condemn this escalation. The government should stop its offensive immediately."

The Security Council in August authorized up to 22,500 troops and police for Darfur, providing the Sudan government agreed, which it has not. It also approved beefing up the struggling African Union force during a transition period.

The government’s rejection, Annan said, could lead to "yet more death and suffering, perhaps on a catastrophic scale."

Neither those who decide such policies, nor those who carry them out should imagine they will not be held accountable, he warned for the second time in a week.

Sudan, which was invited to send a high-level representative, was represented by a U.N. envoy, Yasir Abdelsalam, who said Khartoum was adhering to the May peace agreement, which called for an integration of rebel and government troops.

6,000 TROOPS TO DARFUR

Abdelsalam said 6,000 troops would be deployed by Sept. 30 and another 10,000 by Dec. 31. He condemned the council’s Aug. 28 resolution 1706 "as a hasty measure" that amounted to a "one-way dialogue."

But U.S. envoy William Brencick said Annan’s comments should "resonate all the way from this chamber to the presidential palace in Khartoum."

Responding to Abdelsalam, Brencick said the "one point he left out was a stated commitment by the (government) to address the humanitarian situation in Darfur by consenting to the deployment of U.N. forces."

"How many people need to describe the horror of the situation in Darfur or how much worse does this situation have to get" before Sudan got the message, he asked.

Brencick said he was circulating a presidential statement to allow the council to speak with one voice and tell Sudan to "work with us, because the situation in Darfur cannot stand."

Russia and China, which abstained on the resolution, said they favored a U.N. force but stressed the need for Khartoum’s consent.

The Darfur conflict erupted in February 2003 when non-Arab rebels took up arms against the government. In response, the government mobilized Arab militias known as Janjaweed, who have conducted a campaign of murder, rape and looting.

In the past few months, various rebel groups and bandits have committed similar atrocities. Fighting, disease and hunger have killed some 200,000 people and driven some 2.5 million into squalid camps.

In an apparent reference to Sudan’s allies, Annan said his voice was not enough and that leaders in Africa and beyond had to exert their influence. The council, he added, had to issue "a strong and uniform message."

(Reuters)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Try Dong Samuel Luak or release him now 2019-01-22 15:59:31 By Nhial T. Tutlam, PhD* Exactly two years ago, my cousin and mentor Dong Samuel Luak, was abducted from Nairobi, where he was living as a refugee. Mr Dong Samuel Luak is a human rights lawyer (...)

What options are available for President Bashir of Sudan? 2019-01-20 21:43:26 By Luka Kuol Sudan is one of the few African countries whose citizens pioneered post-independence popular uprisings in 1964 and 1985 that forced the ruling military regimes to step down. The (...)

Tasgut Bass is the buzzword and a slogan of the Sudanese uprising 2019-01-20 21:38:57 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman This article comes against the background of the progressive escalation of the Sudanese popular revolution, despite the use of the regime of Omer al-Bashir of the lethal (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Ethnic Murle politicians say enough to cattle raiding 2018-12-28 09:32:00 December 27, 2018 (JUBA) - Murle political leaders in Buma state have vowed to end the practice of cattle raiding and child abduction by individuals in the community. Jodi Jonglei, who is also (...)

CEPO: South Sudan Opposition Alliance (SSOA): Stop politics of split and focus on R-ARCSS implementation 2018-12-26 09:53:29 26th December, 2018. South Sudan Opposition Alliance internal leadership change frication is disturbing and demoralizing public opinion. The big question CEPO is raising, will SSOA be a strong (...)

Progress observed at end of second month of R-ARCSS implementation 2018-10-22 06:44:02 Press Release 21 October 2018 South Sudanese government released 24 detainees in the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement said the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.