Accueil | News    jeudi 7 septembre 2006

Indiscriminate bombing in Darfur warrants UN sanctions- HRW

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

Sept 6, 2006 (NEW YORK) -– Sources on the ground indicate that the government of Sudan is indiscriminately bombing civilian-occupied villages in rebel-held North Darfur, Human Rights Watch said today. The bombing campaign comes as Khartoum is threatening to eject African Union peacekeepers and stymieing efforts to deploy a U.N. force to the region, and should trigger sanctions against senior Sudanese government officials.

JPEG - 14.1 ko
The village of Um Ziefa burns on Dec. 12 last year. (Photo Brian Steidle).

“Government forces are bombing villages with blatant disregard for civilian lives,” said Peter Takirambudde, Africa director at Human Rights Watch. “A penalty for indiscriminate bombing in Darfur is U.N. Security Council sanctions, which should be imposed now.”

Firsthand sources report flight crews rolling bombs out the back ramps of Antonovs, a means of targeting that was often practiced by government forces in their 21-year civil war with rebels in southern Sudan. This method is so inaccurate that it cannot strike at military targets without a substantial risk of harm to civilians. International humanitarian law prohibits such attacks, which can constitute war crimes. Deliberately attacking civilians is in all circumstances prohibited and a war crime.

Human Rights Watch specifically urged the Security Council to :

Impose targeted sanctions on Sudanese government officials responsible for violations of international humanitarian law, as provided for by U.N. Security Council Resolution 1591 ; and
Expand the limited arms embargo provided for by U.N. Security Council Resolution 1591 to cover all of Sudan, not just Darfur.

Offensive military overflights and breeches of international humanitarian law in Darfur are in direct violation of U.N. Security Council Resolution 1591 and are grounds for sanctions, which should include banning government officials from travel and freezing assets of those responsible. The government’s bombing campaign is part of an ongoing military offensive in North Darfur and follows mass deployment of government forces to the region, itself a violation of the resolution.

Reports on the recent bombardment in North Darfur indicate that it is wholly indiscriminate and deliberately fails to distinguish between rebels and civilians. Witnesses in combat zones in North Darfur say that Sudanese military aircraft only target a general area, which often includes people’s homes.

According to international observers in North Darfur, a woman was killed and seven children were wounded last week in Hassan, 5 kilometers southeast of Kulkul, when a bomb was dropped on her house. Another bomb nearly missed a school, leaving a crater 15 meters away. Evidence of indiscriminate bombing was also reported in the nearby villages of Abu Sakin and Telbo, where one bomb went through the wall of a house and came out the other side. Although the villages of Hassan, Abu Sakin and Telbo were considered to be under rebel control until they were seized by government forces in the recent fighting, one international observer said that the rebels did not have a permanent presence in the villages, but rather on their outskirts.

On Friday, September 1, Sam Ibok, the director of the AU Peace and Security Council, said that more than 20 civilians had been killed and more than 1,000 displaced as a result. International observers in North Darfur reported that civilians attempting to flee the Kulkul area in the direction of Fashir, the provincial capital, were turned back by Sudanese government troops.

“Khartoum clearly believes that it can defy U.N. Security Council resolutions and continue to kill civilians indiscriminately, in violation of international law,” said Takirambudde. “Now Khartoum appears determined to rid itself of international peacekeepers, so that there will be no protection for civilians.”

On September 3, the government’s Council of Ministers decided to ask the AU peacekeeping force to withdraw its 7,000-plus troops from Darfur at the end of September. The under-resourced AU force has been unable to prevent widespread abuses against civilians, but is the only international peacekeeping force in Darfur pending a proposed deployment of U.N. troops. On Monday, the AU announced that it would allow its mandate to expire and leave the region by the end of September, though it left open the possibility of an extension.

Khartoum, meanwhile, has blocked efforts to implement U.N. Security Council Resolution 1706, passed on August 31, which calls for the AU force to be turned into a more robust U.N. protection force. The resolution, however, is conditional on Khartoum’s consent. The government has not only refused to give that consent ; it has also warned the AU not to join forces with the U.N.

“Khartoum must not be allowed to kick out the African Union peacekeepers and block the deployment of U.N. troops,” said Takirambudde. “Given the ongoing offensive and the government’s track record of crimes against humanity, the Security Council must take all necessary measures to ensure there is no gap in protection for civilians in Darfur.”

For more information, please contact :

In New York, David Buchbinder : +1-646-637-6258 (mobile)

In Toronto, Georgette Gagnon : +1-416-893-2709 (mobile)

In Amsterdam, Leslie Lefkow : +31-64-876-7375 (mobile)

(HRW)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Répondre à cet article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Why hiring a lawyer if you can buy a judge 2014-04-17 09:11:43 By Dong Samuel Luak April 16, 2014 - Many people in South Sudan are asking, how long did it take President Salva Kiir to plan all this tragedy befalling our young country now? Recruitment, (...)

Abyei: Peace cannot be achieved through partial solutions 2014-04-16 06:23:14 By Maiwen Dot Phoet April 15, 2014 - Over the past month, reports received from sources on the ground in Abyei confirm the withdrawal of soldiers affiliated with South Sudan’s army and police (...)

Why justice must be served to save South Sudan 2014-04-15 06:05:07 By Amb Joseph Ayok Anei April 14, 2014 - In May 1981 a Muslim called Ali Agca attempted to assassinate His Holiness Pope John Paul II. However, after his recovery, the Pope not only prayed for (...)


MORE




VIDEOS



Latest Press Releases


Letter to the South Sudanese government on the ratification of the African Charter 2014-04-16 06:24:18 Letter to the Government of South Sudan on the ratification of the African Charter H.E. Salva Kiir Mayardit President of the Republic of South Sudan Juba, South Sudan CC: Dr. Barnaba Benjamin (...)

In Sudan, at least 26,000 primary school children risk repeating an entire school year 2014-03-21 08:42:00 UNICEF SUDAN PRESS RELEASE In Sudan, at least 26,000 primary school children risk repeating an entire school year Khartoum, 20 March 2014 --- Primary school-aged children in Sudan are in (...)

Civil society groups call on AUPSC to support holistic peace in Sudan 2014-03-11 07:22:46 An Open Letter from Sudanese Civil Society Addressing the Meeting of the African Union Peace and Security Council (PSC) on the Humanitarian and Political Crises in Sudan H.E. President Thabo (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2014 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.