Home | News    Tuesday 8 August 2006

Eight aid worker killed in Darfur during July - UN

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

Aug 7, 2006 (KHARTOUM) — A total of eight humanitarian workers died while on duty in July in Sudan’s troubled region of Darfur, while the violence is also impacting on local populations, deepening the humanitarian crisis, the UN said Monday.

JPEG - 7.1 kb
An AU soldier stands in front of a SLA fighter during an AU patrol near the SLA controlled Fakyale village in central Darfur, of Al-Fasher, June 10, 2006.

Escalating violence in Darfur has killed more aid workers in the last two weeks than in the past two years and is now seriously jeopardizing the humanitarian mission in the area.

According to a press statement of the UN office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UN OCHA), humanitarian access is at its lowest level since the Darfur operation began and operational risks for aid workers are increasing by the day.

“The level of violence being faced by humanitarian workers in Darfur is unprecedented. Many of the attacks happened while workers were helping suffering populations.” said Manuel da Silva, Humanitarian Co-ordinator and Deputy Special Representative of the Secretary General for Sudan. “This is completely unacceptable. All sides must respect the neutrality of humanitarian workers. If this situation continues, we risk losing all that we have gained over the past year.”

In addition to the deaths, increases have also been recorded in hi-jackings of NGO vehicles, attacks on cars during which they were looted, and attempted ambushes. These attacks include vehicles stolen during food distributions, theft from NGO compounds and one attack on an ambulance.

As a result of these incidents, many INGO and UN national staff now fear for their safety if they enter camps and in some cases are reluctant to do so.

The Humanitarian Co-ordinator is also concerned at the impact the increased violence is having on local populations who have already suffered so much. “The situation is made even more serious by the fact that the need for humanitarian assistance is increasing while our ability to respond is being ever more restricted,” said Mr da Silva.

MSF decided last week to suspend its medical activities in Darfur due to the mounting insecurity in the region. MSF had been attacked in the past weeks in several locations in all regions of Darfur.

On 3 August, Oxfam announced the killing of one of its Sudanese staff members in West Darfur.

Thousands of people have been killed and more than 2 million forced to flee during the three-year conflict between Sudanese government forces, pro-government militias and rebels. There have been widespread charges of civilian massacre, rape and other atrocities.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


The Perils of Managing Transition: Will Sudanese Kandakas be the option? 2019-05-21 04:45:56 By Luka Kuol, PhD Global Fellow at Peace Research Institute Oslo, Associate Professor at University of Juba and Fellow at Rift Valley Institute Since the eruption of the Sudanese popular (...)

Justices delay is justices denied 2019-05-21 04:40:18 By Wesley Kosa The Khartoum Peace Agreement was the result of the political manipulation by the governments of South Sudan, Uganda and Sudan. There were no extensive discussions and mediation (...)

The fear of political reforms in South Sudan 2019-05-19 02:16:35 By Duop Chak Wuol In his Easter message, President Salva Kiir called on the leader of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-In Opposition (SPLM-IO), Dr Riek Machar, to go to Juba to form a (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)

Joseph Malwal Dong joined the SPLM/A -IO 2019-04-02 08:35:02 SPLM/A (IO) Press Release 1/4/2019 On Hon. Joseph Malwal Dong Joined the SPLM/A (IO) The leadership of the SPLM/A (IO) would like to seize this precious opportunity to announce to members and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.