Home | News    Saturday 4 February 2006

Eastern Africa submarine cable delayed for one year

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

Feb 4, 2006 (JOHANNESBURG) — A $200m undersea cable promising a massive improvement in the quality and cost of African telecommunications will go live only by the end of next year, or a year later than hoped.

According to the Johannesburg-based Business Day newspaper in its edition of 24 January, the Eastern Africa Submarine Cable System (EASSy) will run from Mtunzini in South Africa to Port Sudan, with landing points in six countries. It will connect to at least five landlocked countries, so they will no longer have to rely on expensive satellite systems to carry voice and data services.

The cable should lower the cost of international connectivity for many African operators and provide faster bandwidth than most African consumers can currently afford.

But the cable is already behind schedule, and will probably not be active until late 2007, a year later than hoped, project co-ordinator John Sihra said yesterday.

Delegates and operators including local backers Telkom and Sentech are in Johannesburg this week to discuss the 9900km-long fibre optic cable.

"Africa needs this baby to be born," said Sentech CEO Sebiletso Mokone-Matabane. The project could be a catalyst for development, as long as private-sector operators ensured that profits did not become an overriding goal, she said.

The project has been on the go since January 2003, when a handful of companies, including Telkom, funded by the World Bank and the Development Bank of Southern Africa, investigated its feasibility. The African Development Bank and various governments have pledged financial support.

Funding has yet to be fully thrashed out, and a financial institution should be hired next week to advise on ownership and funding structures. This adviser will also help determine usage fees, balancing affordability for operators that are not funding the project with a return on investment for those that are.

Last year, former CEO Sizwe Nxasana said Telkom would think twice about investing in EASSy if it was forced to reduce the fees it charged rival operators to use its bandwidth on Sat-3, a cable connecting Portugal to Johannesburg, in which Telkom owns a 13% stake.

The communications regulator is debating whether Sat-3 is an essential service, and whether it should force Telkom to cut its access fees.

If Telkom was forced to slash its fees and could not recoup its costs, it might withdraw from EASSy, Nxasana said. Yesterday Telkom said it was still considering the investment in the EASSy cable and had not made a final decision on the amount it planned to invest.

(Business Day)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Sudan’s Independence: 19th of December should not go into Oblivion 2018-11-19 09:27:07 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman These important Reflections came to me against the backdrop of what was said about the date of the return of the Head of the Umma National Party (UNP), and the Imam of the (...)

Sudan’s removal from terror list taints U.S. values 2018-11-10 08:34:32 November, 9th, 2018 The Honorable Michael Richard Pompeo Secretary of State U.S. Department of State 2201 C St NW, Washington DC 20520 USA RESPONSE BY SUDAN LIBERATION MOVEMENT (SLM/A-AW) TO (...)

R-ARCISS: A Peace that divides the signatories and non-signatories 2018-11-10 07:58:28 By Tito Awen, Juba-South Sudan I keep wondering if peace can divide or unite the partners. I am not so young nor unmindful not to have known what happened after signing of the Comprehensive (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Progress observed at end of second month of R-ARCSS implementation 2018-10-22 06:44:02 Press Release 21 October 2018 South Sudanese government released 24 detainees in the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement said the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) (...)

4th Annual Tony Elumelu Foundation Entrepreneurship Forum Announced for 25th October 2018 2018-10-15 12:38:14 PRESS RELEASE OCTOBER 14, 2018 Africa’s leading entrepreneurship-focused philanthropic organisation, the Tony Elumelu Foundation (TEF), has announced October 25, 2018, as the date for its (...)

Unity State community in Kenya supports Khartoum peace agreement 2018-08-17 08:33:21 PRESS STATMENT 14th Aug, 2018 Re: We shall Rally behind Khartoum Peace Agreement The Unity State Community Association in Kenya was established in 2010 to organize and mobilize the people of (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2018 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.