Home | News    Tuesday 7 June 2005

MSF asks Sudan to drop charges against two employees

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

By MARIAM FAM

CAIRO, Egypt, June 6, 2005 (AP) — A Medecins Sans Frontieres official who traveled to Sudan to urge the government to drop charges against two employees of his aid group said he was hopeful of a resolution, although no assurances had been made.

JPEG - 5.5 kb
Paul Foreman

MSF Operations Director Kenny Gluck met officials from a number of ministries, including the foreign and health ministries, during his Thursday to Sunday visit to Sudan.

"We are hoping to see the charges dropped in the coming days," Gluck said in a phone interview from Amsterdam. "We haven’t received any promises yet."

Last week, MSF’s head in Sudan, Paul Foreman, was arrested and charged with spreading false information. A day later, a Dutch worker with the group, Vincent Hoedt, was arrested in Darfur. Both men were later released on bail.

Gluck said the charges against the MSF workers apparently stemmed from an MSF report documenting alleged rape cases in the troubled western region of Darfur.

He said he spoke with the officials "about the rationale behind the report of sexual violence."

"We explained some more in-depth about our work in Sudan." he told The Associated Press in Cairo.

There was no immediate comment from the Sudanese government about the visit.

Gluck said the two men have returned to work. "We’re still running projects but it’s just the mission is affected when there are criminal charges pending."

On Wednesday, Sudanese Foreign Minister Mustafa Osman said his government had reached an agreement with the United Nations over the fate of the two aid workers, raising expectations that charges could be dropped.

MSF issued a report in March saying its doctors working in Darfur had collected medical evidence of 500 rapes over 4 1/2 months. The report said more than 80 percent of the victims reported that their attackers were soldiers or members of government-allied militia.

Sudan’s government denied the claims.

More than two years of conflict in Darfur has killed an estimated 180,000 people, many from war-induced hunger, and displaced nearly 2 million.

The conflict erupted when rebels in the western region took up arms against what they saw as years of state neglect and discrimination against Sudanese of African origin. The government is accused of responding with a counterinsurgency campaign in which government-backed Arab militiamen known as Janjaweed committed wide-scale abuses — including killings, rape and arson — against the African population.

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Another electoral farce Sudanese should expect in 2020 2018-06-18 02:08:16 Sudanese Elections Scheduled for 2020 will be Fraught with Dangers andCounterfeiting like its predecessors By Mahmoud A. Suleiman The National Congress Party (NCP) regime’s Elections Scheduled (...)

Salva Kiir’s kingdom of doom 2018-06-16 12:31:50 By Duop Chak Wuol Empires come and go, regardless of whether they are good or bad. One of the chief measures employed by historians is an investigatory examination into the legacies the empires (...)

Darfur remains at crossroads as Bashir takes it protective cover from ICC 2018-06-12 14:19:46 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman This article comes against the backdrop of the statement attributed to Sudan's ruling regime as saying that it is the “Time for UNAMID to leave Darfur” (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


The Suspension of Hurriyat Online Newspaper 2018-04-29 07:04:37 Sudan Democracy First Group 28 April 2018 The Sudanese civil and political circles and those concerned with Sudan were shocked by the news that the management of Hurriyat online newspaper has (...)

Petition on the Deteriorating Human Rights and Humanitarian Situation in Sudan 2018-04-22 10:01:20 UN Secretary-General, New York African Union Commission, Addis Ababa UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Geneva Petition on the Deteriorating Human Rights and Humanitarian Situation in Sudan (...)

Abyei celebrates Mine Awareness Day 2018-04-05 08:52:03 4 April 2018 | Abyei - The United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA) and the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) commemorated the International Day for Mine Awareness and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2018 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.