Home | News    Saturday 9 April 2005

Over 350 militiamen attack, destroy Darfur village - UN, AU

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

By EDITH M. LEDERER, Associated Press Writer

UNITED NATIONS, Apr 9, 2005 (AP) — More than 350 militiamen destroyed a village in Sudan’s conflict-wracked Darfur region in the worst attack since January, the United Nations and the African Union said.

Members of the Um Jalool, an Arab nomadic tribe alleged to be part of the Janjaweed militia, ride their camels 20 kilometers outside the village of Muhkjar in West Darfur, Oct 2004. (HRW) .

A joint statement issued Friday by the top U.N. envoy in Sudan, Jan Pronk, and the top AU envoy, Baba Gana Kingibe said the names of the militia leader and his known collaborators will be turned over for possible U.N. sanctions and prosecution by the International Criminal Court.

The two organizations expressed "utter shock and disbelief" at Thursday’s daylong attack on the South Darfur village of Khor Abeche by armed militia from the Miseriyya tribe of Niteaga under the command of Nasir Al Tijani Adel Kaadir.

The statement said the names of Al Tijani and his known collaborators will be turned over to a U.N. Security Council committee charged with deciding which Sudanese are thwarting peace efforts and should be subject to a travel ban and asset freeze.

Last Thursday, the Security Council also voted to refer cases of alleged rape, murder, village burnings and other atrocities to the International Criminal Court, the world’s first permanent war crimes tribunal. On Tuesday, the United Nations handed prosecutors from the tribunal thousands of documents and a sealed list of 51 people to be investigated for alleged war crimes in Darfur.

Al Tijani is the first Sudanese publicly identified as a possible war crimes suspect.

According to the statement, more than 200 of Al Tijani’s militiamen, reinforced by 150 additional fighters from Niteaga, "rampaged through the village killing, burning and destroying everything in heir paths and leaving in their wake total destruction with only the mosque and the school spared."

The statement did not give any casualty figures but said the attack was the most savage since the sacking of the South Darfur village of Hamada in January which killed about 100 people.

It was apparently in retaliation for the alleged theft of 150 cattle whose tracks were supposedly traced to Khor Abeche. But Al Tijani said it was also because rebels from the Sudan Liberation Army, who controlled the village, refused to turn over the bodies of two of his men, the statement said.

The United Nations and the African Union condemned the "senseless and premeditated savage attack" and said the destruction of Khor Abeche not only violated cease-fire agreements but Security Council resolutions calling for an end to fighting and demanding that the perpetrators of such attacks no longer enjoy impunity and are brought to justice.

In addition to possible U.N. action, the two organizations said they expect the Sudanese government to "take appropriate action against Al Tijani," noting that he had repeatedly threatened to destroy Khor Abeche, in the presence of government officials.

The vast western Sudanese region of Darfur is the scene of one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises. An estimated 180,000 people have died in the upheaval — many from hunger and disease — and about 2 million others have been displaced since the conflict began in February 2003.

It erupted when rebels took up arms against what they saw as years of state neglect and discrimination against Sudanese of African origin. The government is accused of responding with a counterinsurgency campaign in which the Arab Janjaweed militia committed wide-scale abuses against the African population.

The African Union has 3,000 soldiers and observers in Darfur monitoring a cease-fire which has been repeatedly broken. The AU had been trying to deploy troops to Khor Abeche since April 3 to deter an attack but was prevented by what the statement called "deliberate official procrastination over the allocation of land for the troops’ accommodation."

A U.N. commission concluded in January that crimes against humanity — but not genocide — occurred in Darfur and recommended that cases of alleged atrocities since July 1, 2002 be referred to the International Criminal Court.

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


The Perils of Managing Transition: Will Sudanese Kandakas be the option? 2019-05-21 04:45:56 By Luka Kuol, PhD Global Fellow at Peace Research Institute Oslo, Associate Professor at University of Juba and Fellow at Rift Valley Institute Since the eruption of the Sudanese popular (...)

Justices delay is justices denied 2019-05-21 04:40:18 By Wesley Kosa The Khartoum Peace Agreement was the result of the political manipulation by the governments of South Sudan, Uganda and Sudan. There were no extensive discussions and mediation (...)

The fear of political reforms in South Sudan 2019-05-19 02:16:35 By Duop Chak Wuol In his Easter message, President Salva Kiir called on the leader of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-In Opposition (SPLM-IO), Dr Riek Machar, to go to Juba to form a (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)

Joseph Malwal Dong joined the SPLM/A -IO 2019-04-02 08:35:02 SPLM/A (IO) Press Release 1/4/2019 On Hon. Joseph Malwal Dong Joined the SPLM/A (IO) The leadership of the SPLM/A (IO) would like to seize this precious opportunity to announce to members and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.