Home | News    Wednesday 26 January 2005

Sudanese air force bombs people in Darfur, NGO reports casualties

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

CAIRO, Jan 26, 2005 (AP) — The Sudanese air force bombed villagers in South Darfur on Wednesday, the African Union reported. An international aid organization said casualties were inflicted.

JPEG - 15.5 kb
Village of terbeba after being burnt

"It is a major cease-fire violation," said the senior AU political officer for Sudan, Jean Baptiste Natama.

Darfur rebels have often accused the government of using its air force against civilians, and Khartoum has usually denied such charges. Aerial bombardments are rarely confirmed by the African Union, which has about 1,400 cease-fire monitors and protection troops in the western Sudan region, where violence persists in spite of two cease fire agreements.

The reported bombing comes a week after fighting in nearby districts in south Darfur killed about 100 people and caused more than 9,000 people to flee their homes, a U.N. spokesman said Wednesday. Most of the dead were women and children, spokesman George Somerwill told reporters at the UN offices in Khartoum. He did not say whether rebel or pro-government forces were responsible.

On Wednesday, U.S. officials at the U.N. headquarters in New York said the United States is making several proposals to the Security Council meant to bring such perpetrators of atrocities in Darfur to justice.

The U.S. ideas would involve using methods other than the International Criminal Court, a body the United States opposes, U.S. Mission spokesman Richard Grenell said.

One possibility the United States is suggesting would involve boosting the role of the African Union, while another would involve making aid for a separate peace deal in the south dependent on resolving Darfur, two U.S. officials told The AP on condition of anonymity.

The attack Wednesday, an air force Antonov airplane dropped bombs outside the town of Shangil Tobaya, about 40 miles south of El Fasher, at about 3 p.m., the Khartoum-based official of an NGO said in a phone interview. The official spoke on condition of anonymity and asked that his organization not be named for fear of retribution.

Field workers of the same NGO in Shangil Tobaya saw the bombs exploding on the ground and saw the Antonov circling overhead, the official said.

The NGO official said his field workers reported about 25 people took refuge in Shangil Tobaya before and after the bombardment as they were fleeing fighting outside the town. Some of them were "war wounded," the official said. He did not have figures for the casualties.

Previously, the NGO field workers had heard what sounded like an aerial bombardment, but Wednesday was the first time they actually saw one.

The Darfur conflict, which the United Nations describes as the world’s worst humanitarian crisis, began in February 2003 when the Sudan Liberation Army and allied Justice and Equality Movement took up arms against what they saw as years of state neglect and discrimination against Sudanese of African origin.

The government responded with a counter-insurgency campaign in which the Janjaweed, an Arab militia, committed wide-scale abuses against the African population. An estimated 1.8 million people have been displaced in the conflict and more than 70,000 have died.

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Open Letter to Ambassador Donald Y. Yamamoto 2017-09-23 07:09:30 To The Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary, Bureau of African Affairs, U.S. Department of State, Washington, D.C. September 21 , 2016 By Stephen Par Kuol Your Excellency Ambassador Yamamoto: (...)

Sudan’s renegade Sheikh 2017-09-12 12:44:55 By Ahmed H Adam Tensions between the Sudanese regime and militia commander Sheikh Musa Hilal has reached a tipping point in recent weeks. On July 20, Sudanese Vice President Hassabo Abdel (...)

The UN’s WHO knows cholera vaccines have been used effectively: why not in Sudan? 2017-09-09 23:05:26 Eric Reeves The UN’s World Health Organization (WHO) continues in its refusal to call the cholera epidemic that has spread throughout Sudan by its proper name (cholera is caused by the Vibrio (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Amnesty calls to release Nubian activists detained over protest for cultural rights 2017-09-12 20:47:54 AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL PRESS RELEASE 12 September 2017 Egypt: Release 24 Nubian activists detained after protest calling for respect of their cultural rights Egyptian authorities should (...)

New group formed to gather Nuer in United States 2017-08-17 14:15:50 DECLARATION FOR THE FORMATION OF NUD TO BRING TOGETHER ALL NUER IN THE U.S.A Press Statement The Nuer Union For Development (NUD) The United State of America The State of Nebraska August 15, (...)

A prominent Sudan Women and Civil rights activist passed away 2017-08-14 21:09:47 The Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa (SIHA) Khartoum, Sudan-August 14 2017 In the early hours of Saturday 12th August Fatima Ahmed Ibrahim, a renowned Sudanese leader of the (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2017 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.