Home | News    Wednesday 10 November 2004

Sudan claims 270,000 displaced from Darfur return ’voluntarily’

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

JPEG - 6.9 kb
Ibrahim Hamid

NAIROBI, Nov 9 (AFP) — A Sudanese minister claimed that more than 270,000 people displaced by the conflict in Darfur had gone home "voluntarily" and that the situation in the western region was "improving."

A senior United Nations official cast doubt on these claims later Tuesday.

"More than 270,000 people have voluntarily returned to their homes. This is a very good sign and indicator that the situation in Darfur is improving," Humanitarian Minister Ibrahim Mahmoud Hamid told a news conference in Nairobi.

Hamid gave no time frame for the claimed 270,000 returns. Massive civilian displacement began in Darfur soon after fighting broke out in February 2003 between rebels and government forces and allied militia.

Tens of thousands of people have since died as a result and more than 1.5 million forced to flee their homes.

Hamid’s figures do not tally with those of the United Nations.

"The UN is aware of returns in the very low thousands," Manuel Aranda da Silva, the UN’s humanitarian coordinator for Sudan told AFP through an aide.

"We have received no information from the government about 270,000 returnees so are unable to say whether the figure is accurate," he added, noting that Khartoum had an obligation to respect mechanisms designed specifically to assess whether displaced civilians who return home do so of their own free will.

Several recent UN statements have noted a sharp deterioration of security in Darfur over the last couple of weeks and especially an increase in violent incidents involving civilians.

There have been numerous reports that those leaving camps for the displaced have done so under duress, especially in the case last week of several thousand civilians in and around the Darfur town of Nyala.

Hamid said these people had been moved from private land to government camps where there was "enough water, latrines and sanitation."

Last week, the Nyala relocations prompted a chorus of international condemnation, with the United States accusing Khartoum of violating UN principles concerning internally displaced people and UN security council resolutions on Darfur.

Also Tuesday, the UN’s World Food Programme said "insecurity spreading across Darfur" was to blame for a significant fall in the number of people it was able to feed there in October, 1.1 million, "down nearly 175,000 people from September."

On Sunday, the Spanish branch of Medecins Sans Frontieres said "repeated" acts of aggression had prompted its staff in the Jebel Marra area of Darfur to temporarily withdraw.

The Sudanese humanitarian minister welcomed the United Nations team that began work Monday investigating claims that a genocide was taking place in Darfur.

"We are not afraid of any investigations. There is no genocide in Darfur," he said.

"There is war and the rebels are responsible for the war and violating ceasefire," Hamid added.

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Why I believe Halayeb Triangle is an Egyptian territory 2017-07-18 22:10:00 By Tor Madira Machier Since the exit of the Anglo-Egyptian colonisation of Sudan, Egypt’s Halayeb Triangle has been a subject of false ownership claim by the Khartoum successive regimes. In fact, (...)

South Sudan Media: An endangered landscape 2017-07-18 21:56:11 By Tor Madira Machier With the disappearance of some websites from South Sudan’s radars on Monday, the news exaggerates fears of government’s advance on media strongholds in the country. What is (...)

The International Community is not the Answer 2017-07-17 11:31:13 By Salah Shuaib The miserable general situations in which we live didn't leave us with a much confidence in the ability of the Great Powers, which are allegedly leading the international (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


HRW denounces "collective punishment" in South Sudan’s Wau 2017-04-15 07:06:48 Human Right Watch South Sudan: New Spate of Ethnic Killings Urgent Need for Justice; UN Should Increase Patrols in Wau (Nairobi, April 14, 2017) – Government soldiers and allied militias (...)

Statement by South Sudanese Communist Party on the National Dialoguel 2017-03-22 05:44:42 The Communist Party of South Sudan On the Initiative of the National Dialogue The initiative taken by the President of the Republic of South Sudan declaring a need for a national dialogue is an (...)

An Appeal to President of the Republic of South Sudan 2017-03-15 07:22:45 Dear. Mr. President, I write to appeal to you for the release of political detainees now in the custody of the National Security Service at Jebel and other detention facilities. In doing this, I (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2017 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.