Home | News    Saturday 4 February 2006

Eastern Africa submarine cable delayed for one year

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

Feb 4, 2006 (JOHANNESBURG) — A $200m undersea cable promising a massive improvement in the quality and cost of African telecommunications will go live only by the end of next year, or a year later than hoped.

According to the Johannesburg-based Business Day newspaper in its edition of 24 January, the Eastern Africa Submarine Cable System (EASSy) will run from Mtunzini in South Africa to Port Sudan, with landing points in six countries. It will connect to at least five landlocked countries, so they will no longer have to rely on expensive satellite systems to carry voice and data services.

The cable should lower the cost of international connectivity for many African operators and provide faster bandwidth than most African consumers can currently afford.

But the cable is already behind schedule, and will probably not be active until late 2007, a year later than hoped, project co-ordinator John Sihra said yesterday.

Delegates and operators including local backers Telkom and Sentech are in Johannesburg this week to discuss the 9900km-long fibre optic cable.

"Africa needs this baby to be born," said Sentech CEO Sebiletso Mokone-Matabane. The project could be a catalyst for development, as long as private-sector operators ensured that profits did not become an overriding goal, she said.

The project has been on the go since January 2003, when a handful of companies, including Telkom, funded by the World Bank and the Development Bank of Southern Africa, investigated its feasibility. The African Development Bank and various governments have pledged financial support.

Funding has yet to be fully thrashed out, and a financial institution should be hired next week to advise on ownership and funding structures. This adviser will also help determine usage fees, balancing affordability for operators that are not funding the project with a return on investment for those that are.

Last year, former CEO Sizwe Nxasana said Telkom would think twice about investing in EASSy if it was forced to reduce the fees it charged rival operators to use its bandwidth on Sat-3, a cable connecting Portugal to Johannesburg, in which Telkom owns a 13% stake.

The communications regulator is debating whether Sat-3 is an essential service, and whether it should force Telkom to cut its access fees.

If Telkom was forced to slash its fees and could not recoup its costs, it might withdraw from EASSy, Nxasana said. Yesterday Telkom said it was still considering the investment in the EASSy cable and had not made a final decision on the amount it planned to invest.

(Business Day)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


A new approach to peace 2018-04-23 06:16:35 By Miroslav Laják When the United Nations was created, its founders envisioned a different kind of world. A world in which disputes were resolved in meeting rooms and not battlefields. A world (...)

Bring Sudanese troops home now 2018-04-21 15:25:57 By Salah Shuaib The Sudanese troops fighting hard now in Yemen, who were sent there by order of al-Bashir, should return home. The process of implementing this task is much challenging. But, we (...)

Dissolution and formation of the Cabinet - 2013 2018-04-20 08:00:00 Amb Telar Deng The events that led to the 2013 dissolution of cabinet can be traced back to the deep mistrust that fermented back in 1991 when leaders failed to close ranks. After the 1991 (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Petition on the Deteriorating Human Rights and Humanitarian Situation in Sudan 2018-04-22 10:01:20 UN Secretary-General, New York African Union Commission, Addis Ababa UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Geneva Petition on the Deteriorating Human Rights and Humanitarian Situation in Sudan (...)

Abyei celebrates Mine Awareness Day 2018-04-05 08:52:03 4 April 2018 | Abyei - The United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA) and the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) commemorated the International Day for Mine Awareness and (...)

Appeal for forgiveness and pardon of John Agou Wuoi 2018-03-07 08:28:08 H.E. Salva Kiir Mayardit, President and Commander-in-Chief, of the Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA), Republic of South Sudan (RSS), 5th February, 2018. Through: Hon. Michael Makuei Lueth (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2018 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.