Home | News    Thursday 19 April 2012

W. Equatoria protests against SAF bombing, backs SPLA

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

April 17, 2012 (JUBA) - Thousands of citizens in South Sudan’s Western Equatoria State took to the streets of Yambio on Tuesday in support of the country’s armed forces as the border war with Sudan continues over the disputed oil region of Heglig.

JPEG - 2.3 Mb
Protestors in Yambio, Western Equatoria State, South Sudan. (Photo: Mbugo Phillip William)

Youth groups and civil society organisations protested at what they describe as encroachment and occupations “deeply inside” the territory of the nine-month-old nation by the Sudan Armed Forces (SAF).

South Sudan says that it was an attack by SAF on Unity State that triggered their occupation of Heglig a strategic oil field vital for Sudan’s economy. Juba has attracted international condemnation for the move and Khartoum has vowed to retake the area militarily.

Speaking to Sudan Tribune from the Western Equatoria capital Yambio, state governor, Colonel Joseph Bangasi Bakosoro, said the demonstration was intended to send a strong messages to the internationally community.

He said that the international community, particularly the United Nations and the African Union are wrong to perceive South Sudan as the aggressor in the conflict.

"Our forces have not crossed international boundaries into Sudanese territory. They were attacked within our territory and repulsed the attackers and followed them into the place where Sudanese Armed Forces use to launch periodic attack within our territory."

South Sudan maintains that Heglig is called Panthou and is part of Unity State, whereas Sudan claims the area is part of South Kordofan. Most of the 1,800 km border between the two countries has not been demarcated.

The governor also said that the protest was "to stand in solidarity with our forces and congratulate them for living up to their constitutional duties to protect [the] territorial integrity of the republic of South Sudan".

JPEG - 2.4 Mb
Citizens in Yambio protest against ’UN discrimination’ over Heglig, SAF bombing, Abyei. Western Equatoria State, South Sudan. (Photo: Mbugo Phillip William)

For over a week the SPLA have managed to hold onto Heglig, which until the SPLA stopped took the area, supplied Khartoum with half its oil production.

Bakosoro also accused the international community of bias.

"They did not bother to know the root cause of our reactions. They just reacted blindly simply because they see Sudan as [a] strong nation that would just wake up one night and crush us."

He said the other nations new that South Sudan was in the right but their interests in Sudan had led them to condemn Juba’s actions. "Integrity is killed by interests", he said.

Governor Bakosoro further complained that the bombing of South Sudan by the Sudan Armed Forces had brought about less condemnation than the SPLA’s occupation of Heglig.

He also drew comparisons with Abyei another oil-rich disputed area, which SAF has occupied since May last year. The United Nations Security Council has called for both SAF and southern-aligned forces to withdraw from the region.

Bakosoro said that SAF was "still bombing our civilian settlements in the border states of Warrap, Western Upper Nile and recently in Upper Nile State. The United Nations and the African Union do not see this as violation of the international humanitarian law”, said Governor Bakosoro.

Khartoum denies bombing South Sudan despite it being reported by the United Nations and mounting evidence on the ground including civilian casualties.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 19 April 2012 07:01, by equtoria helped

    we south Sudanese are united against the main enemy

    repondre message

  • 19 April 2012 07:18, by Daniel Buolmawei

    "They did not bother to know the root cause of our reactions. They just reacted blindly simply because they see Sudan as [a] strong nation that would just wake up one night and crush us."

    Exactly, my governor. That what they thought. They just scared from jahdist empty rhtorics of Khartoum and thought the bravest people of South Sudan would be crushed like what the Khartoum empty rhtoric sugges

    repondre message

  • 19 April 2012 07:42, by Madina Tonj

    There is no doubt in my mind that, the whole AU have been bribes fully otherwise such a speech made by AU would have not been mention after all. AU, UN and International body knew nothing about South Sudan’s border with North Sudan. Just when they hear Sudan name then, they thinks like the time Sudan was one but they all failed to understand Khartoum have left 1956 border behind to claim oil

    repondre message

    • 19 April 2012 08:00, by Dinkawarrior

      All the money mouth people must shut up otherwise God will punish them like Malawi President usually protect the criminal Bashit!

      repondre message

      • 19 April 2012 08:04, by Dinkawarrior

        Let’s protest and let’s take action too by joining the SPLA! No running away at this time, our people must united behind our troops to defeat the long time enemy of our people!

        repondre message

    • 19 April 2012 08:56, by Ruach

      All South Sudanese are bitter except those who always talk of land being occupied in Juba.Bari should be the first pple to fight against Arabs occupying our land now.South Sudan Oyee!

      repondre message

      • 19 April 2012 15:45, by Ruach

        Arabs are noisy neighbours.What a noisy neighbours!!

        repondre message

  • 19 April 2012 09:30, by E. Defense Forces
  • 19 April 2012 10:48, by Agor

    You are 100% Hon. Governor for all you have said. UNSC should first go to British museum to get the ownership of Heglig from the very map of 1/1/1956 before condemning the Republic of South Sudan

    repondre message

  • 19 April 2012 23:54, by Lok T Simon

    Dear W. Equartoria society,

    You are very right to protest against SAF atacks to Southern Sudan, but mind you our protesting against SAF is nothing to Bashir, as per now Bashir still saying that Southern Sudanese are insects. So the only way solution for us is to pick up guns and go to front line for our nation defend rather than protesting.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Why I believe Halayeb Triangle is an Egyptian territory 2017-07-18 22:10:00 By Tor Madira Machier Since the exit of the Anglo-Egyptian colonisation of Sudan, Egypt’s Halayeb Triangle has been a subject of false ownership claim by the Khartoum successive regimes. In fact, (...)

South Sudan Media: An endangered landscape 2017-07-18 21:56:11 By Tor Madira Machier With the disappearance of some websites from South Sudan’s radars on Monday, the news exaggerates fears of government’s advance on media strongholds in the country. What is (...)

The International Community is not the Answer 2017-07-17 11:31:13 By Salah Shuaib The miserable general situations in which we live didn't leave us with a much confidence in the ability of the Great Powers, which are allegedly leading the international (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


HRW denounces "collective punishment" in South Sudan’s Wau 2017-04-15 07:06:48 Human Right Watch South Sudan: New Spate of Ethnic Killings Urgent Need for Justice; UN Should Increase Patrols in Wau (Nairobi, April 14, 2017) – Government soldiers and allied militias (...)

Statement by South Sudanese Communist Party on the National Dialoguel 2017-03-22 05:44:42 The Communist Party of South Sudan On the Initiative of the National Dialogue The initiative taken by the President of the Republic of South Sudan declaring a need for a national dialogue is an (...)

An Appeal to President of the Republic of South Sudan 2017-03-15 07:22:45 Dear. Mr. President, I write to appeal to you for the release of political detainees now in the custody of the National Security Service at Jebel and other detention facilities. In doing this, I (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2017 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.