Home | News    Thursday 17 November 2011

Unknown armed group attack Jonglei’s Pigi county

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

By John Actually

November 16, 2011 (BOR) - Unknown gunmen attacked Door, Wunkiir-Anyang and Aluei villages in Pigi county in northern Jonglei on Wednesday Morning, looting property and setting houses on fire, local sources say.

JPEG - 34.9 kb
The minister of law enforcement in Jonglei State, Duop Lam in his office. 12 Novembrt 2011 (ST)

Sudan Tribune was unable to reach the Commissioner of Pigi, James Aleu and the police coordinator, Payol Gajang, due to poor the areas poor telecommunications network.

Jonglei’s state minister of law enforcement, Duop Lam also confirmed the attack but said the casualties and degree of losses incurred in the villages is still unknown.

The minister said the details of what had happened will soon be communicated once South Sudan’s army (SPLA) have visited the area.

Lam said the SPLA in Fangak Pam Ziraf was moving to Atar in Pigi to investigate and report on the incident.

The minister said he believed that the attackers were from the rebel army of George Athor, who has led a rebellion in Jonglei state since losing his bid to become state governor in elections in 2010.

Athor is the highest ranked soldier and former politician to currently be rebelling against Juba. Before he began his insurgency he had been a minister and held the rank of general.

Attempts by South Sudan’s president Salva Kiir to coax Athor and others in accepting an amnesty has had mixed results, with some of the smaller groups integrating into the SPLA while Athor and the South Sudan Liberation Army (SSLA) in Unity state remain in the bush.

Juba claims that Khartoum is arming and assisting the rebels. An allegation denied by the north who claim that South Sudan is helping rebels aligned to the SPLA near Sudan’s southern border.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 17 November 2011 07:35, by Logic

    This insecurity will continue until a time when GoSS changes its direction. Its very sad, because its usually the civilians who suffer greatly.

    repondre message

  • 17 November 2011 07:56, by Brother Billy

    For such a thing not to happen, the Ministry of Defense needs to have a comprehensive decision on how to deal with such criminal acts endangering the lives of civilians.Why is it taking long for a full government to look into issues of SSLA, LRA in Western Equatoria and SAF bombing the South S territories in Unity State? What are we defending? bank accounts or the county! Let us do away with SSLA!

    repondre message

  • 17 November 2011 09:15, by Red Army

    rebellion will never stop until things settle politically.
    Aluta continue to topple this Juba regime.

    repondre message

  • 17 November 2011 11:57, by Alier42

    Anybody who said ,this people are unknow gunmen ,is very very stupid , the men commanded by Athor wanted get rid of kuol, who only mind his business and his family affairs ,us in jonglei will be in crisis untill kuol resign his governership,an individual can not turn state money for his business at his own will ,leaving the rest suffering while watching their resources being enjoyed by the family.

    repondre message

    • 17 November 2011 12:26, by gotutu

      it is aggresssive act which has been cause by Gier chuang.
      where is this Gier who is against everyone , his home is now invaded by agreat warrior from LUac.
      shame on Paweny community

      repondre message

      • 17 November 2011 13:03, by Mapuor

        Dear Brother
        Gier has never shot a single bullet against all SPLA foes since he joined SPLA in 1983.What he knows is to kill his fellow Padang like Dr Juac etc.He is also good at serving high ranking commanders.You will never see Gier visiting Atar,of course, he has nothing there,his children are in Uganda,he bought a nice house in Kampalla.He is only concern with what is happening in Uganda.

        repondre message

      • 17 November 2011 13:07, by Citizen

        Hi Alier42, you got it wrong bro; if the today morning attack by acombined Athor’s Nuer gangs and Ulony Shilluk millitia with their traitors allies was against Kuol Manyang, or public money Kuol is using for his own private business why attacking Atar-Paweny people and not Bor, why burning, looting and killing innocent civilian, put yourself rite bro otherwise you sound more greedy then Kuol

        repondre message

        • 17 November 2011 13:23, by Citizen

          Gotutu and Mapour, you are all speaking naive about Gier Peacefull approach to all the unfolding matters especially when its come to issues connected to your traitor uncle the thief and a dwarf guilty Athor, he won’t go away with this guys? watch your mouth here, if he is brave why attacking,looting, burning houses, killing women and children and not confronting Gier Physical or in a court of law.

          repondre message

        • 17 November 2011 15:15, by mon-mandhal

          Dear Citizen,Do not wast time on advising this internal militia call Alier42,who aways counts baseless accusations and offensive language against the great warrior Kuol Manyang Kiir,s govt. He has already rebelled just the matter is that he is not yet joined the rebels in the bushes.

          repondre message

          • 17 November 2011 16:38, by Alier42

            Mon-mondhal
            if you can turn your statement then you have scored a point,the two corruptees you have mentioned their names are the very individuals, who had put the system of governance in mess, but it is a matter of few days ,they will run to east Africa,war had been intensified in all directions.

            repondre message

  • 18 November 2011 05:45, by Peter Nhiany

    Dear readers, this is an astonishing news. I pay my sympathy to the people in those area of the attack. This is nothing to be blamed on George Athor; I do blame it on the government of South Sudan whom officials are busy in Juba strategizing how embezzle to public money. Athor already knows he is not coming back and has to do damage to the people. GoSS should have flushed him out South Sudan.

    repondre message

  • 18 November 2011 05:50, by Peter Nhiany

    Dear fellow citizens, instead to blame those who have nothing to do with this at all and pointing fingers to certain people, why can’t we talk about what should be done to stop Athor from further attacking our people and kill innocent people? You guys should know that Kiir has no interest of protecting the citizens of Jonglei state and this will come down to him as negligent. he is happy for this.

    repondre message

  • 25 April 2013 15:20, by dennishobson

    SQuYn7PxqVwNRrYhYbYdn6mFDdwerkssanyong actyon deck de madeira plastic lumber I’d have to check with you here. Which is not something I usually do! I enjoy reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


s
Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Sudan’s removal from terror list taints U.S. values 2018-11-10 08:34:32 November, 9th, 2018 The Honorable Michael Richard Pompeo Secretary of State U.S. Department of State 2201 C St NW, Washington DC 20520 USA RESPONSE BY SUDAN LIBERATION MOVEMENT (SLM/A-AW) TO (...)

R-ARCISS: A Peace that divides the signatories and non-signatories 2018-11-10 07:58:28 By Tito Awen, Juba-South Sudan I keep wondering if peace can divide or unite the partners. I am not so young nor unmindful not to have known what happened after signing of the Comprehensive (...)

U.S. Move Ignores Sudan’s Abuses Against its Own People 2018-11-09 06:56:11 U.S. Considers Lifting Sudan’s ‘Terror State’ Designation By Jehanne Henry With all eyes on mid-term elections in the United States, almost no one noticed that on the same day the US State (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Progress observed at end of second month of R-ARCSS implementation 2018-10-22 06:44:02 Press Release 21 October 2018 South Sudanese government released 24 detainees in the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement said the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) (...)

4th Annual Tony Elumelu Foundation Entrepreneurship Forum Announced for 25th October 2018 2018-10-15 12:38:14 PRESS RELEASE OCTOBER 14, 2018 Africa’s leading entrepreneurship-focused philanthropic organisation, the Tony Elumelu Foundation (TEF), has announced October 25, 2018, as the date for its (...)

Unity State community in Kenya supports Khartoum peace agreement 2018-08-17 08:33:21 PRESS STATMENT 14th Aug, 2018 Re: We shall Rally behind Khartoum Peace Agreement The Unity State Community Association in Kenya was established in 2010 to organize and mobilize the people of (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2018 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.