July 22, 2012 (KHARTOUM) – The governments of East Darfur State and South Kordofan State in western Sudan have embarked on arrangements to deploy “buffer forces” to insulate two Arab tribes whose clashes last week led to the death and injury of 80 people.
East Darfur governor, Major General Mohammed Fadul Allah Hamid, told the pro-government Sudanese Media Centre (SMC) that the first batch of the buffer forces had already arrived to wall off Al-Riziygat and Al-Missryah tribes from each other.
State media reported last week that clashes between the two ethnic groups in the border areas between East Darfur State and South Kordofan has led to the death of 58 people and the injury of 24.
Governor Hamid pointed out that the troops will complete their deployment before the end of this week, starting from Basusa area in the south of the state all the way to Abu Gabra oil-producing area in the north.
Hamid said that he and the governor of South Kordofan State, Ahmed Haroun, visited the home areas of the two tribes on the suburbs of Abu Gabra twice in the last two days. He added that they had met the chieftains who pledged there would be no return to fighting.
The governor concluded that the situation between the two tribes is now calm.
Officials commenting on the events failed to mention the reason of the fighting. Tribal clashes in Darfur are often driven by conflicts over land and water resources.